1 2 3
AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/23 10:52 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I was talking a friend recently whom I initially met through the local Healey club. She fully restored three Big Healeys, hasn't owned one in probably 5-6 years and says she doesn't miss them one bit because how much of a pain they can be.

I've said many times that if it weren't for the family connection, there's no way I would have built this car. In many ways, however, I am very glad that I did.

AxeHealey
5/3/24 2:37 p.m.

It's home. The weather people were wrong and we got a bit wet but, it's home. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/3/24 6:41 p.m.

Welcome back for another seasonal lap of the Healey hobby.

AxeHealey
5/6/24 9:59 a.m.

Well, I took the Healey out for it's first cruise of the season and I suppose what I can say is that I made it back. 

About 2/3 of the way through the drive, it started shaking horribly. So bad that I pulled over to see if maybe the wheels were falling off. They were not so I limped it home.

I thought maybe the tires went flat over the winter? This doesn't really make sense because the shake wasn't immediate. That said, all of the tires were at about 22 PSI. I pumped them back up, took it up and down the street and the shake wasn't there but... I'm not convinced. 

Also. The rear end, mostly right rear is making all types of nonsense noises. Creaking, groaning and any other manner of things. I laid down next to the car and had my wife shake it a bit but I couldn't pin point the noise(s). This will require some investigation but I *think* most of it is just bushing noise. 

AxeHealey
5/8/24 9:24 a.m.

I took some time yesterday to investigate. Nothing, that I can find, is loose or falling off. Nice.

It seems like a lot of the noise is actually coming from the shock itself but there's also noise from the drop link that it attaches to as well as the front spring mount. Although I believe I waited until there was weight on the suspension to tighten everything down, I wonder if that drop link is binding causing the shock some undue stress.

I'm thinking maybe I'll get it up high on jack stands supporting the axle back those nuts off, let it settle and re-tighten(?). I greased the rear spring pivot but the front one isn't greasable. 

Also on the short list is a valve adjustment. They've become pretty loud.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/8/24 7:07 p.m.

Squeeky shock links have probably de-bonded the rubber somewhere. Squirt some silicone lube on them. If they go quiet, they have already failed. 

AxeHealey
5/13/24 8:46 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I saw this and then forgot to spray them before taking a quick ride last night. Will do next time although there wasn't nearly as much noise last night.

It wasn't a very long ride but there was no death vibration...so that's good. It ran fantastic for almost all of it last night, revving up to ~4k pretty happily. Twice though, once after light throttle cruising and once soon after that trying to accelerate hard it snapped hard out of the carbs. 

I've had this issue previously and I think it's got to be float height or maybe a gummy needle and seat. It definitely does not smell lean which is why I'm not leaning towards mixture. It also hasn't had a new fuel filter after the rebuild so that certainly could be restricting flow.

In it's 6th season back on the road, it's probably reasonable that the tuning needs revisited.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/13/24 6:05 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Check damper oil first, if OK think sticky distributor advance mechanism. Retard it 2 degrees and see if it is cured, and if performance still feels OK, put some oil on the pad under the rotor and wiggle the dam slightly side to side before you assemble. Chase this now, it takes far too short a time for the manifold gasket to fail when they sneeze.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/13/24 6:15 p.m.

OK, the dam cam...

AxeHealey
5/13/24 9:07 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

So glad you suggested the dashpots. That thought crossed my mind while I was driving home and then it slipped away.

The rear carb dashpot was just about empty. Front was full up. Now there's fresh 3-in-1 in both. I've got the kids to myself tonight so I can't go test it.

I pulled all of the plugs. Here's #4. They were all generally like this although 3 through 1 saw the mark on the ground strap migrating towards the threads while 5 and 6 were at this same level.

Here's how I read this. Thoughts?

• Slightly rich on idle
  • Heat range OK
  • Not really burning oil
  • May be a bit off on timing
    • Generally pretty good but could use some fine tuning.
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/13/24 10:44 p.m.

With unleaded fuel plug reading nears meaningless, those are fine. I run motor oil in dashpots, 3in1 evaporates, as you found.

AxeHealey
5/23/24 9:46 p.m.

Early Sunday, the Healey and I met up with a few friends and had a great 30+ mile blast on the fun roads near where I live. We led the group of a 911 T, V70 R, Ford Transit and a classic Beetle. 

Tonight after the kids went down I had it out for about 25 minutes.

AxeHealey
6/16/24 9:43 p.m.

Happy Father's Day everyone. 

My son's first ride in Grandad's Car. Three generations of enjoyment.

AxeHealey
7/12/24 9:24 p.m.

I needed a car-related uplifting yesterday and realized it had been about 3 weeks since I've driven the Healey. Because of that I opted not to do any work on cars and just go for a evening cruise.

AxeHealey
9/8/24 9:44 p.m.

The Healey has been getting some good action as of late but there have been a few strange things happening. First is that the turn signals and brake lights are no longer working. The marker lights, high/low beams and taillights work just fine but no blinky blinkies. I did some minor looking at that sometime today and didn't get anywhere. I need to look back at a diagram. 

The little parcel shelf under the dash is supposed to have a support up to the underside of the dash. It's been bouncing around ever since I got the car back together and for whatever reason I got tired of it this week.

At some point I may pull it off, give it speed holes and paint it black but that's good for now. Another little annoyance is that the dash lights, aside from the ignition and high beam indicators have never worked. I have known the reason - a missing ground. So I fixed that today.

Last was a rattle in the driver's door latch. Turns out three of the four nuts that hold the latch to the bracket that holds the latch to the door had excused themselves from duty. I scrounged up 3 more nuts with the correct thread and we have a solid door again.

The happy Healey also wasn't quite as happy as usual this evening when I took it out. It wasn't very excited about WOT and had some snapping out of the carbs. I'll have to see if I've lost all of the dashpot oil again. If not, it looks like I have some SU-ing in my future.

AxeHealey
9/19/24 11:20 a.m.

Twice this week, my son requested that I take him to school in Grandad's car. Twice this week I have taken him to school in Grandad's car. Twice this week we have been aggressively cut off buy cars jumping their turn at one of the traffic circles we encounter on the ride to school. 

The Healey stops but I have now found that it's emergency braking ability (not the emergency brake) is absolutely not good enough. 

I have bled the brakes with my Motive bleeder in the past and they are better than ever but it needs to be better. Any of you have suggestions? The line routing definitely has the potential for lots of trapped air so maybe I just need to up the pressure and run a lot of fluid through all lines.

I guess I'll also say that at least as of earlier this summer the rear shoes were adjusted correctly so I don't believe that to be the problem. It should stop harder than this even if it were just the discs up front.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/19/24 12:47 p.m.

If the rear shoes have less than several thousand miles on them they very well might need another adjustment. If they take up a lot the drums are probably bell mouthed or oversize. Check also that the pads are parallel to the disc and the disc faces are also parallel. to each other. This car should have a pretty hard pedal that takes a lot of leg to lock up, not travel, but force. Later 3000s had vacuum boosted brakes for less force, but the unboosted ones brake far more controlably if you are strong enough.

AxeHealey
9/19/24 3:37 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Heard. I will check all of those things. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zyx4q81gXk8hCBWzYscx3wz0DWilut2HS6TBFDmLptjlY2peUDdi0q0byay3RZmD