1 ... 10 11 12
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/6/24 5:30 p.m.

I haven't been home much for the past month, but now I'm back and that means it's time to pile more miles onto the F-150. 

First, though, I need to complete the 30,000 mile service (current mileage is 30,761). This is just an inspection and a tire rotation, so I decided to do it at home. I was pleasantly surprised by the service at my local dealer, but doing this at home is free and it's the same amount of time as driving to and from the dealership.

As usual, the truck is perfectly healthy. The only thing that caught my eye was the left rear shock, which seems a little moist. The internet seems to think all OEM Ford truck shocks are all prone to leaking, and claims Ford won't warranty them until they get pretty bad. Still, I'll email my service advisor and ask if this would qualify for warranty replacement. 

The truck's tires are finally showing some wear, too--the front and rear centers are at 6/32 and 7/32 respectively, but the front shoulders are nearly bald, likely because I've spent thousands of miles in this truck driving twisty mountain roads chasing modern Porsches. Every Classic Motorsports Road Tour is basically a week-long grinding session for the front shoulders. I'll try upping the tire pressures and see what happens. Time for more front camber, maybe? devil

I haven't started researching replacement tires yet, but shockingly my first instinct is to put the exact same thing on it again. These are quiet, comfortable, efficient, sticky enough, and tow well. And as hard as I drive and as often as I tow, I'm not that unhappy with this rate of wear, either.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/8/24 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

For an ICE F-150 tire wear comparison, I'm getting ~45k of perfectly even wear out of each set on my '21 F-150. I'm maybe halfway through second replacement set of tires. We've stuck with factory Pirellis, but mechanic at work said he'll probably put Toyo's on when I wear these out.

I've chased exactly zero Porsches through the twisties, but it has included a fair amount of towing a variety of loads.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
9/8/24 9:09 a.m.

On my 22 I got 79,000 out of the factory pirellis; I switched them for the Goodyears that I got 80k out of three times on my 18 but immediately lost 2mpg. I'll go back to the Pirellis next time

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/24 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I'm taking my Lightning up to the Glen next weekend!   There appear to be very little in the way of chargers up there, though our hotel in Owego shows it has 12!  None of the apps show chargers in/around the Glen, if you used any during your time there please advise.  Thanks!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/8/24 9:53 a.m.

I plugged into the level 2 at the park by the marina downtown, since it was next to our lunch stop. Otherwise, I just used the level 3 near our hotel in Ithaca. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/19/24 1:42 p.m.

Well this is an interesting way to let people know who is supposed to use this charger. 

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oc4daAhspr00UFS0lYTRrt9uz1QK1dagye9qPlgKQW7NmXNwvdUE1juW5Sk60OUC