1 2 3 4 5 6
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Also of note is that those fenders will eventually be cut out also so some light mangling won't matter much.   If the lift arms go that far that absolutely is easiest.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/23 2:04 p.m.

Oh E36 M3 this is happening!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/9/23 3:39 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'm trying! Open to your thoughts as well.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/23 10:16 a.m.

All strapped in. I went with Robbie's idea plus some ratchet straps to hold the arms in place. The lift is within a few inches of max height here. Not perfect but I have greater confidence in this than where it was resting before. It is so rusty. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/23 11:22 a.m.

Looks like it's about to get Sawzally up in that frame rail!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/23 1:02 p.m.

The $250 Amazon plasma my BIL brought over is working great

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/12/23 10:17 a.m.

Lots of progress yesterday. We got the initial frame cut done. Ended up cutting in the middle of the section being removed. We will come back with a pattern to Z the frame together once the best spot for that is determined. 

Once the rear was rolled outside, we were able to start getting the engine side fitted into the bay and floor pan. 

The bottom of the door frame is currently sitting on top of the frame. It likely needs to get cut more as it currently looks like a Lada Niva. I may pull the front springs out first though as the next stage is going to take most of the floor structure completely out. Also, as it sits, the engine is still mostly in the bay. Much lower and cam covers start poking out. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/12/23 10:30 a.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/12/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

You had that locked and loaded

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/23 10:53 a.m.

You know there are some binky fans watching this thinking "there's plenty of room for 2 turbos"

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/12/23 12:13 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to ClemSparks :

You had that locked and loaded

Indeed, lol.  I meant it in person when we set that body on the chassis and couldn't wait to say it here.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/12/23 12:41 p.m.

You're moving damn quick on this.  Gonna have a Challenge '23 debut?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/12/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That is the hope. We will need to keep it up to make it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/12/23 1:17 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That is the hope. We will need to keep it up to make it. 

Awesome.  So damn awesome.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/13/23 12:03 p.m.

It looks terrible but getting lower. 

The door hinge area is getting into the body mount on the frame. I am going to try and peel the mount on the frame away instead of relocating the hinge mount.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/13/23 12:15 p.m.

Yes, far easier to move the body mount than the hinge on both sides plus on two doors and get them lined up

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/13/23 1:06 p.m.

One Down, Seven (or Nine) More to Go | Admissions Blog

I think I am getting to the point that diminishing returns are occur. The door sill pinch weld is now below the top of the frame rail. The bottom of the stock floor, what is left, is below the bottom of the frame. The fender is not seated all the way down as I need to cut a lot out to get this tire height in. I am not going with a tire this tall though. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/23 1:13 p.m.

Noice.

With the original floor below the bottom of the Panther rail, the height-related indicator now shifts to helmet clearance. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/13/23 1:26 p.m.

7.5" frame height and 52" roof height. I think that we are done here. 315/30/18 for tire. That is the same roof height as a BRZ. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/13/23 3:24 p.m.

Looking fantastic!  Now to add box flares with cool rocker steps to cover the frame rails and look extra DTM Matchbox car-ish?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/13/23 7:10 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

That is the plan. Not sure I will have time before this years challenge but long term, yes.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/14/23 7:13 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Is that the tire you plan to run, or just a reference for size? 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/14/23 8:14 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

This is the choice for now, unless I can find someone to buy me out of them. I got them when I was intending to run a full sized crown Vic. I would rather someone with a smaller diameter.

Edit: I'm not sure I can get something much shorter than these actually. I will certainly not be planning to spend $350 a tire once I burn these up though. They are a one season take off from a s197 autocross car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/14/23 9:35 a.m.

I just got rid of a set of 315/345-18 nt01's.  They still had some life left but trying to find someone who wants a set of nearly-used up tires is hard. 

i'm sure you can find some more for not much $$

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/14/23 9:46 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Yeah, I may end up using these without fender flairs for this year and then once they are done, switch to a 285/30 or a 17"

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ESlov6cEUlVvtOkZLvJkfwjKMdaTlIvFRKpkW3W6AkKN4akSPSBOaixMJzF1cxVU