1 2 3 4 5 6
RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
3/14/23 9:56 a.m.
singleslammer said:

52" roof height... That is the same roof height as a BRZ.

Does this mean you'll need to wear a backwards baseball cap to fit in with the BRZ crowd too?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/15/23 11:24 p.m.

Fought one of the front shock assemblies out tonight. Not fun no matter how you disassembled it. 

We are planning to start sectioning the frame this weekend. Maybe we will have a single frame again soon. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/23 11:12 a.m.

Berk - yeah. Ing - yeah. Yeah - yeah. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/23 11:19 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Berk - yeah. Ing - yeah. Yeah - yeah. 

i sang it on first read.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/23 11:24 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to jfryjfry :

Yeah, I may end up using these without fender flairs for this year and then once they are done, switch to a 285/30 or a 17"

Why such a big wheel/tire combo? I would think a 15" combo would give you many options and help with gearing/acceleration on the AutoX course.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/16/23 12:28 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

It is what I have from the previous iteration of this project, which was a full sized crown vic with whatever parts I could scrounge. The Crown vic has pretty large brakes so I need to do some testing to see if I can get 15s over them. I would like to run a something cheaper long term for sure. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/18/23 12:12 a.m.

Getting closer

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/18/23 8:32 a.m.

WooHoo!

I look at that (the commitment of frame cut placement) and am kind of glad I wasn't around to overthink it, lol.  Nice work!

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/23 10:44 a.m.
ClemSparks said:

I look at that (the commitment of frame cut placement) and am kind of glad I wasn't around to overthink it, lol.  

Well, if you're truly serious about it, shouldn't the splices be staggered left vs right also devil

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/18/23 2:27 p.m.
gumby said:
ClemSparks said:

I look at that (the commitment of frame cut placement) and am kind of glad I wasn't around to overthink it, lol.  

Well, if you're truly serious about it, shouldn't the splices be staggered left vs right also devil

And so...

SingleSlammer is glad that Gumby or Clem weren't around as well laugh

I know SingleSlammer knows this but I'll put it on record.  I wasn't saying more thought needed to be put into this part of the build.  I was alluding to the fact that if I were in charge of this aspect, the frame would still be whole/original and I'd be stewing over it for the next month or three ;)

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/18/23 4:29 p.m.

The cut is staggered! By 3/8"...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/19/23 1:22 p.m.

Putting this neat drop bracket in here for the future. 

2003-2011 Ford Crown Victoria IFS Lower Control Arm Drop Bracket Set

Should help with shock travel. Might also scrap the ground. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/26/23 9:49 p.m.

Frame is welded up. It measures in several places at less than a 1/16" difference left to right. Quite happy with that. Reinforcement plates will be added. 

Body fitment continues. The entire floor is going to have to leave. I am going to add some bars a few inches above the pinch weld in the door openings and between the B pillars. Then it is all coming out below that. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/27/23 10:33 p.m.

She low

As it sits, the roof to the projected ride height is 48" total roof height. The entire floor and door sills are gone. I think that the final height will be lower but I need to get the frame finished up and get it lowered to ride height to make sure the body ends up parallel to the ground. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/23 10:09 a.m.

This thing is going to wind up with a "Yes" amount of flares.  

jimgood
jimgood Reader
3/28/23 2:24 p.m.

I love it!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/23 4:33 p.m.
nocones said:

This thing is going to wind up with a "Yes" amount of flares.  

I like cars that need more "positive" camber to clear the fenders.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
3/30/23 9:52 a.m.
singleslammer said:

I had an 83 Tercel for a fair number of years.

That your car is going to end up looking like an R5 pleases me in ways I can't put in to words.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/3/23 1:37 p.m.

Well, amoungst all of this I have been trying to find a replacement transmission as the stock unit had lost 3rd. I think that I am finally giving in and will be gutting Belauh (the 94 manual swapped crown vic that Robbie helped me drag home last fall) for her t45 and maybe 32v motor. The motor will not happen this year but the transmission kind of has to.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/3/23 3:41 p.m.

Wait.. It's only missing 3rd?

The interenet says it will do 99 mph in 2nd with stock height tires..  

LMP360 won the event trapping at like 92mph..  

1/4 mile calculator estimates at 2500lbs/240hp you'll be in the 13.2 @ 108 range..  so you probably can run high 13's on the limiter in 2nd at 99mph...   

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/23 3:53 p.m.

I know it'll be a lot of work but the manual/32V swap sounds kinda necessary to keep up with the badassery of this whole project. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/3/23 4:42 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Yeah, that would have been smart...then I tried to fix it and now it has zero gears.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
4/3/23 4:43 p.m.

yes

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/3/23 4:44 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It has crossed my mind. Also, it has crossed my mind to put all the electronics from the 2010 on the 94, get it running, and then make it a death cart for this year before taking the good parts out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
4/3/23 6:15 p.m.
singleslammer said:

Well, amoungst all of this I have been trying to find a replacement transmission as the stock unit had lost 3rd. I think that I am finally giving in and will be gutting Belauh (the 94 manual swapped crown vic that Robbie helped me drag home last fall) for her t45 and maybe 32v motor. The motor will not happen this year but the transmission kind of has to.

Wanna borrow a turbo? I'm not using it yet 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qaTvoVw2x6jQ9y40amJEgxc8TwbolmUIkWKXpI5dqRy8eatfWowalXxz2tZ61urJ