1 2 3 4 5
TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/19 9:36 p.m.

Love it.  I've thought sand rails looked pretty cool for a while.  This one looks just as awful and "death-trappy" as it should.

Make something beautiful and scary happen.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 9:52 p.m.

It’s home.  It’s very not really death trappy, but I am going to redo all the welds because, yeah they’re kinda death trappy looking.  I’m holding off doing anything to it because challenge build in full swing, but i do look at it and giggle 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/11/19 12:32 p.m.

My vote is for 15X12s on all corners and making it handle.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Maybe even fab up a few basic body parts.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/11/19 1:59 p.m.

I saw a Detroit area CL guy buying and selling Pinto parts.  

My first car was a Mustang II with 2.8 V6 and 4 speed.   Not fast and very rusty in 1982 but it was fun!

Patrick
9/11/19 5:43 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Contacted him.  Maybe if he does he will trade for some 2.3 transmissions, i think i have 3 of them

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The reason I was calling dibs on the 2.8 transmission in the FS section, is I am looking for something with the 2.0 bellhousing pattern...

The Cologne apparently shares the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.0 and some 2.3, but the dowel diameter is different.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/19 6:36 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

My vote is for 15X12s on all corners and making it handle.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Maybe even fab up a few basic body parts.

I think someone here built a rail just like that. Called it the Lot Lizard or something. 

Patrick
11/14/19 1:59 p.m.

Engine procured along with one trailer full and half a truckload of parts that came with the engine.  

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/14/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Jthw8. Awesome guy, would be a great point of contact for this project. He's recently resurfaced on the forum after a hiatus.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/14/19 2:12 p.m.
Patrick said:

All vacation and no cars make Patrick something something 

I am first post into this and 100% behind you whatever it is. Now to read the rest of the thread.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 2:21 p.m.

Sweet!  16 cylinder radial engine imminent!

java230
java230 UberDork
11/14/19 2:23 p.m.

Following

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 2:59 p.m.

Anyone else think a Leaf or similar electric motor and battery pack would be a fun way to make a grown-up Power Wheels?

Just me?

Stefan
11/14/19 7:33 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:

Jthw8. Awesome guy, would be a great point of contact for this project. He's recently resurfaced on the forum after a hiatus.

Plus he's no longer in New Joisy, he gone rural in NC....

Patrick
11/14/19 7:48 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I may or may not own one of Jim's previous cars and have been in contact with him recently.  Not about this, just about life in general.  But i did almost buzz him today to see if he needs any vw stuff

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/14/19 7:54 p.m.
Stefan said:
JohnInKansas said:

Hes in nc now? Any idea where?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/14/19 8:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Stefan said:
JohnInKansas said:

I would tear a$$ in the back yard with this chasing the dogs.....OHY!!!!

Patrick
11/14/19 9:01 p.m.

The complete motor shown above, i was told was from a bus.  In my research this is a type 4 efi engine.  I do not want to disassemble this engine, I want to install it to see if i can make it run.  I'll likely get it in the garage on a stand before spring so i can figure out wtf i'm doing because this little stuff is all brand new to me.  Obviously air is air, fuel is fuel, spark is spark, i'm just used to a lot more of it.

I have not got to the truck bed yet, there are more boxes in there.  The partially disassembled engine is a porsche 914 2.0 that seems to have a wiped thrust bearing as the crank moves in and out significantly.  I have a NOS(!!!) engine case for a 914 2.0 also.  The balance of the 914 engine is in a bin in the truck and I am hoping there is a carb and stuff in there.

Stefan
11/14/19 11:18 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Stefan said:
JohnInKansas said:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/JThw8/

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/15/19 6:31 a.m.

I think we need a GRM dune day.  A flag and ORV sticker will get me up there in my Pathfinder and or Quad.  My cabin is about 15 minutes north of the dunes in Pentwater, with lots of parking space.

I have a vision for 2020.

Patrick
11/15/19 11:29 a.m.

Doing some investigation today.  What I have so far found is that the new old stock case is a type 4 1.8 due to the EC code in the serial number.  Either way, cool deal.  I buried the supposed 2.0 914 engine so I need to get to that to clean the numbers off to decipher.  Either way something surviving this long without being used is super cool

also have a second type 4 intake that has the carb conversion center section, so i can weld up the injector holes and paint it nice and be good to go.  I didn't dig deep enough to see if there was a matching carb for it, but any 2bbl can be adapted easily.  

went from zero vw parts to an overwhelming amount in a few hours, which is basically what i did with 57 chevy parts last December.  I can't wait to make the garage bigger so everything can have its own place so i can go to the shelves and inventory and decide what to keep and what needs moved on.  

Patrick
11/20/19 2:06 p.m.

So I painted free on the sides of the buggy body that’s been whacked off at the back because it was hit, and I was carrying it out to the street because anything I put free on disappears.  Then I glanced over at the rail, busted out the grinder, and now have this

And I REALLY LIKE IT

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
11/20/19 2:11 p.m.

I like it...nice upgrade in appearance!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 2:14 p.m.

makes the rail *and* the truncated buggy body look better.  hey, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/19 2:29 p.m.

I always thought the sandrail thing was cool. Looking forward to see what you do with it!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TbhqioH0uUgvmcs2tpHlgkBXTH87NR5apCOahJOaxCPJT7JQ4M54dsspYjje5DlC