1 2
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/15/24 11:18 a.m.

My young boys get so excited when they see C8s on the road. These cars just have an exotic aura about them. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/24 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Harvey :

I've been quietly watching your thread. I just bought a C8 and I want to get a performance alignment soon. Did you go with the GM recommended alignment settings?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/24 12:54 p.m.
CAinCA said:

In reply to Harvey :

I've been quietly watching your thread. I just bought a C8 and I want to get a performance alignment soon. Did you go with the GM recommended alignment settings?

Yes. The settings work very well. Also, you can just go to any alignment shop with a modern computer system and they will have the specs for it right alongside the stock alignment.

Harvey
3/28/24 12:55 p.m.
nderwater said:

My young boys get so excited when they see C8s on the road. These cars just have an exotic aura about them. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I get compliments on the car nearly every time I go somewhere. It gets a lot of looks. Don't get one if you don't like attention. Or maybe don't get one in orange? laugh

Harvey
3/29/24 4:48 p.m.

Went for an oil change at the local Chevrolet dealer. I had an appointment and ended up there for two hours. I thought they must just be busy, but then on the way home I noticed the transmission filter service monitor was reset (the dual clutch trans has a filter that gets changed every 7500 or so miles). There was no transmission filter on my bill, so I called them back and asked if they reset the service monitor by mistake (I would have been a little perturbed if that happened). Turns out the tech was so used to doing the first service on the car, which includes the trans filter, that he replaced the transmission filter and that's why it took so long to get my car done.

I offered to pay for the filter change, but they said I was fine, so I got a free transmission filter. Yay!

Just the oil change with oil filter was $287.91. It is a dry sump and takes 8 quarts of synthetic, so I'm not surprised.

Harvey
7/26/24 12:41 p.m.

I took the car to the 2024 New Jersey Pro Solo which was held from May 3 to May 5. For those that have never heard of SCCA Pro Solo, it's a fun time. The basics are that you have two courses set up, a left and a right course. The entry points to each course are a drag race start with a tree. The drag race starts are lined up right next to each other. Your launch off the start is very much a factor in your total time. 

I was the only C8 Corvette there. I ran on Yokohama A052 tires with the GM track alignment and all the car's settings in their most aggressive. There were seven total competitors in the Super Street class. Everyone other than myself in the class was driving a Porsche Cayman GT4 or a 718 Spyder (functionally the same car as the GT4 only the Spyder is a convertible). The C8 was very competitive overall with those cars. I set the second fastest time on the left side, but I could not pull out a good time on the right side and I ended up 7th out of 7, but the total time difference between 7th and 1st was 0.823 seconds, so it was a very competitive class and even though I ended up last I felt that I did pretty well overall considering this was the first time I had driven the car at a Pro Solo and it was my first national event in the car.

It ended up raining before the class could do the last runs on Sunday, so the last times on either side for most everyone in the class were a wash. I'm not sure I would have been able to make up any time on that right side even if it had not rained as I was just not figuring it out.

The launch control in the car makes it very consistent off the line. You just hold down the brake and floor the gas and then let go of the brake and it will get you going. In practice runs on Friday the car managed a 1.8 60 ft time. The weather cooled down a lot though after Friday and in competition the best I was able to get down to was a 1.910 60 ft. Still, in that weather I felt the Yoks were a good choice as they generally love being relatively cool. The 8 speed dual clutch is an amazing transmission that did everything for me. The aggressive shifting it has in track mode put me into the optimal power band at every point.

Overall, if I had driven better there was every chance the car could have been top of the podium, which delights me since the Porsches it competes against are a lot more expensive overall. I felt like the Grassroots competitor, which is silly since of course my car still cost around $88,000.

Official Results

Official Results with reaction time and 60ft

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/24 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Harvey :

Somehow I missed your reply. I went with the factory track alignment before my first track day. The tire temperatures looked pretty good. I haven't noticed any ill effects from running the track alignment on the street, but I've only put a couple thousand miles on mine since I had the alignment done.

Nice job on your Pro Solo adventure. It sounds like fun.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RNhELSitSLtVqFL1KHv6MCSV2bxYcw16G7VI8utIpo8lkSwVrqVlVlUKDdHsLnHR