BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/24 5:56 p.m.

As mentioned in another thread, my attempt at getting myself an FK-8 Civic Type R went a little sideways. Instead of a sensible hot hatch, I ended up relieving Carmax of an ND2 Miata that was the spec that I should have bought instead of the 2016 Launch Edition I owned for a couple of years (and incidentally sold to Carmax). So what we have here is a 2020 ND2 Club, manual (of course) that had a bit under 23k miles on it when I got my hands on it.

The test drive was funny in an "of course" sense - when I test drove the Type R, I got to the first roundabout near the dealership and thought "ooh, I like this". When I got to the same place in the ND2 - which is only a few hundred yards from the dealership - my thought was "yep, that is the one". So I traded in the SAAB, transferred the plate and set of into the rainstorm that masqueraded for sunset. I have to say, the whole process - which included multiple cars shipped to the local Carmax for test drives and all that - was really smooth, no pressure after test driving multiple vehicles, just a "hey, we want to make sure you find the right car". Big thumbs up there.

Anyway, here it was last weekend when I took it down a couple of my favourite roads to a nice state park:

It has spent its life so far in Texas (in/around Pflugerville) and the underside is cleaner than the topside of the car. I actually checked - the shop that does state inspections and maintenance on my vehicles was happy to let me poke around underneath it on their lift. Cars this clean is not something you see that often around here, but one of the reason I looked at Carmax, because that allowed me to ship cars from dry states.

Handling was rather squirrelly on the way back from the dealership in the pouring rain. After letting 8-9psi out of each tire, it's calmed down a bit but either the alignment is off or it's been aligned to for really quick turn in. You know, like someone may have autocrossed it in the past - it steers a lot more noticeably on the throttle than the ND1, and it's a bit tiring to drive as a result. Fun, but I probably have to get the alignment looked at because the other option it that the wheels made contact with some foreign objects and as a result the alignment is a bit off.

So what's the plan? Right now, it is depressingly stock but I'm trying not to evenly distribute it around the garage quickly, so I'm trying to keep the mods reasonable. Yeah, right. So far the rough plan looks like this:

• Get rid of the "Texas Tint". Not only does it make the cabin feel more claustrophobic, it also doesn't help with visibility out the sides when it's dark. Not a fan.
  • Sort out the alignment at my preferred race shop
  • Yeet the annoying engine noise tube and plug it
  • Install the FM door bushings
  • Change all the fluids, and as part of that potentially replace the diff cover with the OS Giken one that has 2x the capacity

... then probably take it to an autocross or two because some of the other parts will have more lead time.

Stage 2 is going to be:

• Get and install the Aurora Designs seat lowering bracket
  • Order a rollbar - very likely a Blackbird Fabworx, which is what I had in my last two NAs and I've always been happy with the quality. Not sure if I want the RZ or the GT3 bar yet
  • Possibly a brake upgrade - this is a "base model" club, so it doesn't have the Brembos. My thoughts are either the FM Stage 2 Little Big Brake kit or fitting OEM Brembos, but I want to check how I get along with the stock brakes first.

We'll see how this plan survives contact with reality.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/13/24 6:07 p.m.

Woot!

atli126
atli126 New Reader
4/14/24 10:06 a.m.

Congrats on the nd2!

I have alot of mods on mine and I just drove a huge loop the other day and it is a great car for sure. I have a 16 nd1 w a nd2 swap using goodwin 4-2-1 header (max tq) and the aem intake and the roadster sport exhuast (i highly recommend all these) I also have  the car tuned using versatuner it is awesome feels great and makes great power. I used CleaR motorsports in england for remote tuning and Adam is great to work with. 

CleaR Motorsport ND2 Tuning - MX-5 Miata Forum

I have the meister r crd coilovers and they are fantastic too. I also recommend some light wheels like the 16x8 rpf1, i went with a 225/50/16 tire. 

I had 17x9 and those were not heavy at 18.5 but the rpf1 at 14.5 even the 4 lb (maybe a few more per wheel w tire weight) difference was amazing. 

Konig Hexaform 17x9 4x100 +45 Matte Black for MX5-ND , 17x9 (good-win-racing.com)

I recently swapped on a used open flash center mount exhaust and it is subtle and great also with almost no drone. 

Good luck on the car and if your interested check out miatas at the gap. We go every year ands its always fun. 

Miatas at The Gap (gapmiatas.com)

BoxheadTim
4/14/24 11:13 a.m.

And the first parts order just went out to Flyin' Miata.

In reply to atli126 :

I assume you're also running the ND2 ECU? My understanding was that it's not tuneable as people haven't managed to crack the ECU yet, has that changed? Not that I feel the need for more power right now, for me the ND2 is pretty much in the sweet spot of power/weight.

atli126
atli126 New Reader
4/14/24 12:31 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

nope im running all the nd1 stuff, harness, injectors, ecu all tuned on versatuner 

BoxheadTim
4/15/24 8:53 a.m.

In reply to atli126 :

Ah, that makes sense. Unfortunately not an option for me.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
4/15/24 9:47 a.m.

I drove a friends nd1 around the block a while ago (4x roundabouts), and I had a similar first impression. It just felt right in every way. I'll get one, one of these days.

BoxheadTim
4/15/24 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Nathan JansenvanDoorn :

IMHO Mazda got this one really right. And I say that as someone who really, really likes NA Miatas.

BoxheadTim
4/19/24 8:22 a.m.

FedEx ninja-delivered the FM order so we only found it this morning when my wife almost tripped over it.

I have to say, nice sticker. Thank you!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/24 10:29 a.m.

That sticker has a GRM connection of sorts. When we were playing with the Bing AI image generator here, I found out it was pretty good at NA and ND Miatas. I showed it to Travis and he did a series of stickers using some output from it after a bunch of post-processing.

Ando
Ando GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/19/24 9:22 p.m.

• Order a rollbar - very likely a Blackbird Fabworx, which is what I had in my last two NAs and I've always been happy with the quality. Not sure if I want the RZ or the GT3 bar yet

Ando
Ando GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/19/24 9:25 p.m.

Double post....

I have an NB miata with the roll bar and an ND and for the ND I would be very hesitant to install an aftermarket roll bar due to the amount of engineering that Mazda put sinto the factory system. The picture above is from the factory technical manual released in 2016 and shows how the roll  bar integrates into the side impact crash structure. Given the proximity of your head to the uncovered roll bar and how well engineered the factory roll bar is I'm very hesitant to rip it out and put in some thing that's just not as well integrated.

BoxheadTim
4/19/24 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Ando :

I hear you and I understand where you are coming from, but the existing factory rollbar is not SCCA/NASA legal so unless I want to restrict this car to Autocross use only, I need to replace the factory rollbar. 

Keith Tanner
4/19/24 10:59 p.m.

The factory bars offer absolutely no roll protection. The hoops are unbraced aluminum. I'm pretty sure all the aftermarket bars bolt into the same mounting points (plus some) and are made of stronger stuff than a thin wall alloy extrusion. 

The ND bars are much further from your head than the NB ones are. I'm not sure a head strike is possible without a pre-existing decapitation. 

BoxheadTim
4/21/24 5:27 p.m.

Probably the only time the ND looks big in comparison to anything:

Yet, the X19 is probably the more practical out of the two.

BoxheadTim
6/2/24 7:13 p.m.

Now with 100% less annoying noise tube. Of course it started to rain the second I wanted to put the FM door bushings on, so that will have to wait for another day. Alignment booked for Tuesday, let's see if that addresses the somewhat squirrelly handling.

BoxheadTim
6/4/24 4:24 p.m.

Alignment done. Apparently, cars get a bit squirrelly when one rear wheel has toe out and the other one has toe in.

Who knew?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/24 4:45 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Probably the only time the ND looks big in comparison to anything:

Can relate with that...

Alignment is a big one. Did you have them max out the camber? My shop was only able to get 1.2 deg or so at stock ride height. 

Keith Tanner
6/4/24 6:43 p.m.

I've got a pic of an RF beside the MGB GT. Doesn't make the Miata look small. 

BoxheadTim
6/4/24 7:59 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It's got about 1 degree camber at the moment, but that was partially because I told them I wanted a fast road baseline. Depending on what I end up doing with some other cars in the fleet (*cough* Elise *cough*), I might ask for more of a track setup that's closer to the FM suggested numbers.

The important part for me was to get rid of the "meth'd up squirrel" handling first, or dig deeper if there indeed were other issues.

The technician who did the alignment suspected that it may still have had the factory "alignment" and most likely had never had a proper alignment. Heck, it had no camber at all in the front, for starters. Makes me wonder if the PO sold the car to Carmax because they didn't like the way it handled.

BoxheadTim
7/20/24 12:22 p.m.

Not much to report, no progress on any mods as I'm trying to concentrate what little attention and time I can give a car on the Elise. That said, I've occasionally been driving the ND and used the recent stupidly hot weather to my advantage to take the tint off the side windows. I think the tint was WV legal, but it was way too dark for my liking for front windows so I knew it had to come off when I bought the car.

So, after parking it in the sun for a couple of hours and getting the steamer out, the car went from this:

to this:

Much better, and it means I can actually properly see out of the side windows after dark.

I'll use it without tint for a while, depending on how that goes I might get a very light tint fitted to help with the interior UV protection but nothing as dark as I had on the car when I bought it.

BoxheadTim
8/4/24 11:24 a.m.

Amazingly enough I've actually driven this car more than I've worked on it. Odd feeling for me, that.

I finally got around to fitting the FM door bushings that I've had on the shelf for months. Apparently, if you mark the position of the OEM door bushings with a bit of masking tape, it's a five minute job and they easily end up in the correct position. Who would have thunk?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lj9sgE9TpT9Me44CTFNteUzQqA1cr5LGAWReSxKxtOKivUVHFluh63gdV84H7sbM