1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 76

Mazdeuce brings the wisdom.

Again.

Duster, you turn out huge projects on what look to me like really aggressive schedules, and you do nice work.  keep it up!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/6/20 7:38 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks angry. When i get a fire lit under my butt, i hit it hard. I get tunnel vision and work at it until what was in my head is sitting in front of me. And ive done this kind of dance enough times that progress is quicker and better than most. Like watching you cad guys. And 3d printers. And megasquirt. You guys make it look simple, but you have the underlying knowledge and experience to MAKE it quick and simple for you. I just do the same with twirling wrenches and cleaning/painting stuff.

Nothing to add, other than encouragement.  I'm still at the window screen and Bondo stage of bodywork.  You do nice work.  And remember, the dumbest question is the one you don't ask.  Experience and knowledge is power.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

i'll come down for a weekend.  I'll CAD stuff for you while you do an audio and NVH install in the Sonoma.  :-)

Dusterbd13-michael
5/6/20 8:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i'll come down for a weekend.  I'll CAD stuff for you while you do an audio and NVH install in the Sonoma.  :-)

Deal!

Dusterbd13-michael
5/7/20 4:39 p.m.

decided that since I was already this deep,  and had rust in the front floors,  im pulling all the factory asphalt out and checking every inch of floor. I also found in this process that the water based paint that was so bad on the outside of the car is just as bad on the floors. No wonder it rusted. Will cut out what has to be cut and weld in new metal. Then treat the floors, paint with rustoleum inside and bedliner in a can on the underside. Will have to pull the interior again after the challenge and add new sound deadening. Just won't be room in the budget. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/7/20 6:57 p.m.

Progress!

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/7/20 7:54 p.m.

Im amazed at progress your making on this man!  Well done.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/8/20 5:40 a.m.

Thanks y'all! Art is coming by sometime today to see what he thinks of the car now. I cant feel any more flaws, but im still learning. Im hoping i got the roof, quarters and hood ready. 

Doors are going on stands to work. I think it makes more sense that way. And it gats them out of the way for floor patching. 

Well see how far i get in the next few days!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/8/20 6:26 a.m.

Use parts car for patch panels

Dusterbd13-michael
5/8/20 6:30 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Maaaayyyybeeeeee. See what all I'll need first 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/8/20 7:23 a.m.

this side has more surface rust than i expected,  but less rust through than i feared. On to the other side, then metal work on what needs patching. 

Are those holes in the floor where the driver's heals would be?  Like the carpet wore out there and water got to metal?

Dusterbd13-michael
5/8/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Yes-ish. Except ive found similar holes on non worn carpet southern cars. Theres a frame rail under the floor between the two holes as well.

My thoughts are that its soms combination of water pooling at the framerail, and wet feet. But, dunno. Theres also a hole that i know of in the rear passengers footwell. Like where a kid would put their wet feet.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/8/20 7:46 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

That's a bad spot on them, I have seen even challange cars get rot there. Your 100% right on where the heel sits grinding gooo into it. 

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Stupid feet...

Dusterbd13-michael
5/8/20 8:58 a.m.

There are four bolts i have not removed from the car yet. Everything else has been taken apart. 

Those four bolts are the hood hinge to cowl bolts.

And i should have pulled the door off earlier. Way easier to work them and the floor.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
5/8/20 6:22 p.m.

Test the spray can bedliner before you spend a bunch of money.  I used it on a truck and it gets brittle and flakes off with time and i guess vibration

Dusterbd13-michael
5/9/20 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thanks for the heads up. I will do that. Just don't want the "always gooey undercoating" that happened to the elky.

Nohome: you had a trick that made the car very shiny like paint would to check things before paint. I can't seem to find it now.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
5/9/20 9:36 a.m.

Get the $50 paint can of bedliner from HF, a cheap brush and a shorty paint roller

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/9/20 12:03 p.m.

You can make it shiny by hosing it down with water.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/9/20 12:10 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

With all the.bare metal,  im nervous to do that. However after high build....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/9/20 12:20 p.m.

Prepsol? Wax grease remover?

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 12:38 p.m.

Dupli color can spray bedliner is awesome.  I've even used it on flexible parts that bash cones or fender flares that bashed trees and it never got brittle or flaked off

Dusterbd13-michael
5/9/20 12:41 p.m.

rust report update:

Only one area of rust in the floors on the drivers front floor. The passenger's rear floor was a rusted through metal body plug. 

No other rust was found anywhere other than surface rust. 

Im pleased. Wasn't fun getting the tarpaper out,  but worth it for peace of mind. 

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJcPG6SZr9pMciZMvnFal8S0nN9hqoBn2Dya4HCJFCCevcJNQupUwK28cr8Y4yDL