AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/20 9:13 p.m.

Are we there yet?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/20 9:21 p.m.

I am. 

So the sunglasses I kinda stole from Michael. He told me when I picked up the Miata for the Challenge that he buys tinted safety glasses 10 for $10 on Amazon. There was a pair in the center console so I decided to test wear them.

Left about 8:45 this morning. Pretty uneventful until I was about mile 68 on 95 in SC. A semi threw a thread and it came at me like a flying snake and smacked the passenger front corner. I didn't feel any changes so I pressed on for another 45 minutes before my first scheduled stop for gas outside Columbia SC.  The whole time I'm thinking about the busted headlight and dented fender.  How Patrick's sister hasn't even meet me but she'll hate me already for ruining her car.  I got out at the gas station and this is the only thing I can see.

Time to press on.  Michael's meeting me outside a waffle house in Charlotte. I give him my ETA and makes it there about 2:45 PM.  It's a quicky.  I grab a seat and taillights from him, snap a selfie, pay him for the sunglasses I stole and some parts I grabbed last time, then hit the road.

I put in the hotel address near Patrick and it comes up with an 8 hour ETA. That ain't right. Then I remembered telling Lil Stampie to turn off toll roads when we went to pick up the Saab.  Turn them back on and it knocks an hour off the trip. 

A little while later I realize that my GPS speed got turned off on Google maps also. I turn that back on and find out the Subaru speedo is reading about 6mph fast. Well that explains why I'm not making my normal times. So I set cruise to the GPS speedometer and start racking up miles.  NC and VA always go quick. I know when I hit the first tunnel I'm about to be in WV.

I realized that the tolls are coming up so I time a gas stop with an ATM right before the first toll booth.  I also grabbed a dinner fit for champions.

That was about 5pm.  77N in WV is pretty much a long autocross with three drag runs thrown in at the toll booths.  It still takes a long time. I like the curves because they keep me active. Normally I hate this stretch because I'm in a truck with a trailer but the Subaru handled it well. The eBay coilovers keep it flat without much roll.  I think they're sightly underdampened but ride quality is actually pretty decent.

Right at 7:30 I cross into Ohio. I'm even impressed with the roads in Ohio. I don't remember them being this nice. Until I get to Canton and get the full Ohio road experience. Saw a McLaren right in the middle of Canton and then onto Patrick's.  I arrived right at 9:45PM for a 13 hour trip.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/20 7:13 a.m.

I used my rewards to get Stampie a clean room with a big bed, but they only let you book undee your name.  So last night after my workout and shower i ran to the hotel and checked in.  The desk guy was nice but also looked at my license and then looked at me like "you live 8 minutes away, you're here to do some sex, very nice" and I almost thought to tell him "the hairy guy in sandals is with me" but refrained.  Waited out front, gave stamps his key, came home, watched a documentary, did some stuff, went to sleep around 3, kids woke me up before 8.

looking forward to seeing the car in the daylight 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/21/20 8:02 a.m.

The safety glasses trick is worth it. They've proven far more useful than either sunglasses or safety glasses, as im way more likely to have sunglasses in the truck or on my face. 

Good to see you yesterday,  el duderino.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/20 9:07 a.m.

"You're here to do some sex" made me lol. 

I wear the tinted safety glasses when I run, because running is the only time I wear my contact lenses.

Stampie (FS)
11/21/20 9:08 a.m.

Patrick knows my addictions so he sent me here for breakfast. 

Few minutes later my job was done. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/21/20 10:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Good to see you yesterday,  el duderino.

If you're not into the whole brevity thing. smiley

11/21/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Sorry that I won't make it to see you this trip. Busy day. I'm assuming you're leaving Sunday? 

Stampie (FS)
11/21/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

I just sat down in my seat on the plane. Have to be at work 7:45 tomorrow.

​​​​​​

Yes I'm wearing the same clothes as yesterday. Light packing for this trip. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/21/20 10:39 a.m.

He's already at the airport, they left about an hour ago.

It was nice to stand around and bs with stampie and Patrick this morning, even if it was only for an hour.  It felt just enough like standing in the parking lot at the gateway grand that I'm motivated to go crawl under the camaro even tho it's 45 out.  Unfortunately I should be an adult and finish fixing the rusty trailer so I can heat my house.

Car looked good, especially up here in the salt belt. 

Swmbo jokingly asked if stampie was wearing flip flops.  He was, flip flops and shorts.

11/21/20 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I guess you are into the whole brevity thing! 

Fast turn around. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/20 11:15 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

yeah it was too quick to do much.  He got here about 9am and he was walking into the terminal at 10:45.  

Stampie (FS)
11/21/20 12:39 p.m.

In Atlanta. Going to find my gate so I can camp out for a few hours. 

Stampie (FS)
11/21/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

It was cool standing around a garage bullE36 M3ting with two guys, socially distanced, with mask.  Nice to see you again and hope to see you in October.

Stampie (FS)
11/21/20 6:43 p.m.

Home and right at 35 hours after getting it, I finally was able to put the tag on the Saab.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t2RSBN8ZbME47imU18l9kAm7A6pfTMMTzHEYUN5lu9ZiLZPi6whqZoScmEsOcI2L