1 2 3 4 5
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/16/19 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Kinda...but I have to admit that buying a 15 second Volvo 750 for 800 Cnd that is being DD'd to verify reliability did not feel very challengy. So we just had to rip it apart and make it purtier.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/23/19 4:40 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm excited to watch the scope creep.  laugh

Clairvoyant you must be!

Sorry to keep you waiting all this time.

It was ugly, so we had to bling it up. It leaked a bit of water and we feared breaking down, Ford 302 water pump bolts are notorious for breaking, so new water pump and gaskets. Gasket set and three cans of spray paint into the budget.

Even-swap traded the AOD for a pig-in -a -poke T5 set-up that should bolt in. Fingers crossed. Not sure how trades are figured into the budget?

Funky mailbox plenum courtesy of Mustang;s first effort at TIG welding scrap metal into something resembling a mailbox to be used as a plenum.

Did a delete of the ABS module ( left hand side)  and all the lines that run across the back of the engine bay. Reused all the lines as the are the nice easy to work with cupro-nickle from the factory.

Just got to get it all bolted together and fingers crossed it runs as nice with the mailbox as it did with the factory plenum. None of us were all that happy with a 15.1 so had to try something to get into the 14's

Pete

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/23/19 5:50 p.m.

Looka purty now.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/23/19 9:48 p.m.

15.1 sounds exactly right for a stock 5.0/auto in that weight of car. In fact, if it was a stock Ford all the way around it probably would have been slower than that due to the rear end gearing.  

Great car! 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/25/19 1:49 p.m.

What with the Molvo, the Challenge car and the FRS all asking for attention this year, this says it all...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/25/19 10:27 p.m.

Beer is a harsh mistress.

So we was working away getting the CIL overhaul back into the car with the T5 conversion. Plan ws to get what you see stuffed into the engine bay and start to button this up for good. Cause time is a running out...

BUT then....Offer to swap a known good 4 valve mod engine and gearbox  for the 302 comes along.. So we pull some junk out from under the bench to see if this is a crack-idea or a good idea ( they overlap)

In less time than it took to type, the spare engine is in the hole. This is not sitting there, it is on engine mounts and bolted in place. There is room for a stock oilpan.  This thing is stupid compact front to rear compared to the 302 with the accessories.

Seriously...looking for excuse NOT to do this?

Pete

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/26/19 6:13 a.m.

Assuming you have all the supporting goods.... DO IT! 
Beautifully smooth rpms, more power, better soundtrack, less weight....

Having said that, I must also point out that seeing this car at Challenge trumps all. You have a known combo and if swapping to the 4v jeopardizes the ability to get the car done, don't do it!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/26/19 6:18 a.m.

You better have very solid supporting documentation for not running foul of the Gastropod rules. Or preferably, just ignore me completely and build something awesome instead. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/19 6:44 a.m.

I love that you "just happen to have a mod motor sitting around".

I love that it bolts right into the 302 mounts.

I love that you guys are just tearing it apart and going crazy.

I love beer too.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/26/19 6:47 a.m.

Dont. 3 weeks.

Do it after the challenge. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/26/19 7:05 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

I love that you "just happen to have a mod motor sitting around".

I love that it bolts right into the 302 mounts.

I love that you guys are just tearing it apart and going crazy.

I love beer too.

I love that the engine in question has accessories

But it aint gonna happen this time. Three weeks and I have to be gone for one of them. Engine did not make it back in the car. last night so I am behind schedule and leaving without the car back on the road is going to mess with a few other items like driving it to the tire shop to get tires mounted and doing the brake-job.

The other one is that I don't want to hyper-document the build budget to explain how we got a mod engine into a 760 for less than $ 2000. Pretty sure it could be done, but not at this point. The original goal was to buy and drive a crapcan to the challenge so that I could say I was there. The budget was going to be easy cause I was not going to spend anything on what I see as a disposable car. The CIL rebuild and conversion to 5 speed is scope creep that I had not planned and it is taking more time than expected. Of such things are adventures made!

Pete

TVR Scott
9/26/19 7:39 a.m.

First, that twin turbo setup is ridiculous.  In all the right ways.

Second, why not sic your extra Petes on the car while you're gone.  Seems like they could get the motor back in and swap in the new brakes.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/19 8:53 a.m.
NOHOME said:... 
is scope creep that I had not planned and it is taking more time than expected. Of such things are adventures made!

scope creep?  what's that?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/26/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

That could happen. Going to try and get the engine in before I leave. Just means that I wont get to sleep Friday night before I leave. We had to trade in one of the Pete's for a Rock Star. Seems that Re-Pete got himself a big old promotion that requires that he do grown-up stuff and not run away to FL on a crazy irresponsible road trip.

Pete

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/26/19 10:44 a.m.

Gastropod this year, twin-turbo beast next year! laugh

TVR Scott
9/26/19 11:00 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

That could happen. Going to try and get the engine in before I leave. Just means that I wont get to sleep Friday night before I leave. We had to trade in one of the Pete's for a Rock Star. Seems that Re-Pete got himself a big old promotion that requires that he do grown-up stuff and not run away to FL on a crazy irresponsible road trip.

Pete

Grown up stuff is overrated.  I avoid it if possible.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/27/19 10:08 p.m.

Been hitting the delete-stuff button pretty hard to make this look more purposefull. Made it this far this week . It is in and all bolted in place.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/27/19 10:14 p.m.

You need to drive.to Florida and back. And it's still plenty warm down here in the south. Make sure you put back the important bits. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/27/19 10:31 p.m.

AC delete is done.  I will be in Fl tomorrow to get a taste of the heat we will face. 

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/7/19 1:47 p.m.

Well, if you cant go real fast, try and look cool and Blingy

The good news is that it is all together. The bad news is that it wont idle and stay running. Not sure why. Was working fine when we pulled it and other than the mailbox intake, it is the exact engine and wiring.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/8/19 9:01 a.m.

Still wont run. Fires right up and shuts down unless you feather the throttle.

Changed the Mass Air sensor and the IAC to no avail.  Will give it another day and then we swap the EFI for a carb cause out of ideas. Still don't kow if our pig-in-a-poke T5 gearbox is going to work.

Pete

TVR Scott
10/8/19 9:26 a.m.

Seems like a bad electrical connection would do that.  Especially after being removed and reinstalled.

Maybe just pull apart the connectors, and clean them and hit them with dielectric grease?

BTW, I've never seen a mail-box intake before, but it indeed looks cool.  Would you use a side-draft carb on that?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/8/19 10:00 a.m.

The mailbox is a home-made version of an old drag race design. It supposedly hs been tested a few times by Mustang Pete on a few of his past projects. Easy enough to make if you have a TIG welder as it is literally a piece of scrap trailer tube with the ends welded up and a flange for the Throttle body to bolt on.

I fear that the wiring might in fact be the issue. There is a LOT of it with the ford EFI and its one of the reasons I ditched the factory EFI with the Molvo; Too complicated and too old to trust.

The plan is to toss a new distributor in tonight and if that does not work, then we swap the EFI out for a Carb set-up. Kinda frustrating because it ran so well before we yanked the engine to bling it up.

Pete

BeardedOne
BeardedOne New Reader
10/9/19 10:49 a.m.

Have you checked the TPS sensor? 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 11:08 a.m.

Doesn't ford use a divorced idle air motor?  Where is that in the new equation ?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xre2r66KbDMMQ1QCCqSFGZwWVjCcxlhnJl8IyRnKk9PMD0H64zby4E5WmXoZtNco