1 2 3 4
Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/19/13 11:39 a.m.

Well, lets see. In the last two days the rest of my parts and tools have come in. Unfortunately I don't have a day off work until Friday. I went ahead and started the process anyway. I have taken out the air-box and intake tubes. All of the cooling bits are out of the way. I got the top chain cover off. It has been leaking clearly, and I think I know why.

BTW: What the heck is this? It is EGR related I'm sure. Speaking of which, can the EGR system be deleted? I'm not worried about passing emissions or anything like that.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/19/13 11:59 a.m.

is that window caulk?

Also, I don't recognize that canister......must be post 95

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/19/13 12:36 p.m.

Yes. Yes it is. combine with a gasket that is bent to hell and I am starting to get a little worried. OH well, an M50/52 is in the future plans anyway.I'd just like to get a year or two on this motor if I can.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/19/13 12:57 p.m.

The PO must have spent his gasket money on other things.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
2/19/13 1:49 p.m.

oh my... I've seen some crap in terms of hack jobs, but that there ranks up pretty high.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/19/13 6:40 p.m.

It sure is up there on the list. I am going to pull the lower cover off to make sure there are not anymore suprises down there. I also discovered that the power steering lines are garbage and the whole system is leaking. I put in an order for Condor Speed Shops PS delete plate. I hope to pull everything related to that, but I haven't found a belt that fits without the PS pump. I'll keep looking. Can I order a belt using only measurments?

I am also going to pull out all of the cruise control stuff. I have used cruise control a grand total of once. That was when I set it at 35MPH and kept hitting accel to see how fast my Mazda would pull on it's own.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/20/13 10:54 a.m.

Ok, Well I had a little bit of time before work so I got to it. I managed to pull all of the cruise control bits from the engine bay. I also pulled the ASC. I've never had a car with traction control, I think I can handle a 150hp 1.9.

I also pulled the intake manifold. I think the injectors might need a cleaning...

I also think I might want to replace the cabin air filter.

Does this look right for power steering fluid in a BMW???? It is grey and runny. slightly thicker than water.

This is how it sits right now.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
2/20/13 6:55 p.m.

Nice work. Hope you can get it running cheap! My coworker's 92 325is has 320k miles on, so if you can get it going it should last a while! Those old Bimmers are tough!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/20/13 8:02 p.m.

Great find on that PS steering delete.....mine is hose looped currently. Not for much longer methinks.

My apologies on not getting you a shipping quote yet. I haven't had a ton of time to dig through the piles of SHO stuff to get to the bmw stuff in my garage loft.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/20/13 8:09 p.m.

No worries. I am getting married in 3 and a half weeks. I have no delusions that this car is going to be up and running at full strength by then. No rush what so ever.

I had the hose looped setup on my E30. It worked, but it was far from pretty. I have heard nothing but good things from the Condor piece. It should be here tomorrow or Friday. I'll post some pics of it sometime Friday afternoon.

Also, did you pull the PS pump? If so what did you do about the belt? I can't find anything online about a belt for just the alternator and water pump.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
2/20/13 8:17 p.m.

I would just mock it up; knot a string then take the string to carquest and buy four or five and take back what you don't need. That's what I did on my ABA swap.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/20/13 9:38 p.m.
Cuda wrote: so it was a bit of faff to get everything in there.

One of my favorite Edd-isms

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/21/13 12:15 p.m.

OK, well I finally got the car in the air. I need to unbolt the exhaust manifold and pull the power steering lines.

I gave the wheels a good shake and there is a bit of play. I wonder why...

Looks like all new bushings are going to be in order. I'll also replace all of the motor/transmission mounts as well. I am going to make sure the motor works before I do all of that. I don't want to order everything if I am going to have to pull the motor anyway. If that happens I'll wait until I can get a M50 or M52.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/21/13 8:42 p.m.

Chandler got it.....thats the easiest way.

Then again I have made brackets with extra idler pulleys on other cars.

Also, don't discount the m54.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/21/13 9:06 p.m.

Check the cooling system plastic bits - if they haven't been replaced, now is the time since you have access. They're about $40-50 for the pair - get OEM for those pieces - aftermarket are suspect for fit. There's a pipe bolted to the side of the block sort of between the knock sensors and another piece on the rear of the head. Looks like the hoses to the injectors may be cracked in a spot or two. Cut to length fuel line is a fair bit cheaper than bmw hoses. M3 offset bushings will work on the front and give you a little better geometry.

My PS fluid looked just like that . As a DD I kept the PS - put in a new reservoir and a new line. No more leak and clean fluid.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/22/13 3:46 p.m.

Ok. So the head is off... I'm not so sure that is a good thing. I honestly have no idea what this is.. They actually look like eggs of some sort? They are perfect spheres and are slightly sticky. They are only on the back two cylinders. I also got the Power steering bits off, and put on the PS delete from Condor Speed Shop

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/22/13 3:51 p.m.

How long has this thing been sitting? Looks like spider eggs to me.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/22/13 4:38 p.m.

I was under the impression it hadn't been sitting too long, but I am pretty sure you are right. There were spider webs in some of the crevasses in the undercarriage.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/22/13 5:57 p.m.

Just before dark, I decided to make an EGR blockoff plate.

Don't mess with me!

Not pretty, but it will do.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
2/23/13 8:57 a.m.

Watch the toes!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/23/13 10:20 a.m.
Cuda wrote: Ok. So the head is off... I'm not so sure that is a good thing. I honestly have no idea what this is.. They actually look like eggs of some sort? They are perfect spheres and are slightly sticky. They are only on the back two cylinders.

Space Herpes.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/26/13 3:10 p.m.

Well, I haven't gotten much done lately. I did get some door panels in the mail! They are going to really help the car look better. I also got the head to the machine shop for a little bit of work.

Other than that my time has been spent renting a tux, buying flowers, and paying for a wedding cake. Two and a half more weeks and I will finally be done with my wedding! I am hoping to have the car running before I leave for the honeymoon.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
2/27/13 9:27 a.m.

excited about this thread, thanks for the Condor PS delete info. Keep the updates coming, but take car of your lady 1st!

Cuda
Cuda Reader
3/1/13 9:40 a.m.

Well, I got the head back from the machine shop. Got the head shaved and the valves worked/new seals. Looks a bit better huh.

No spider eggs/space herpes!!!

But most importantly no cracks.

I have a new water pump, and coolant pipes coming in the mail. As soon as those get here the head will go back on and, hopefully, this thing will fire up.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/1/13 10:54 a.m.

I love watching your progress. Keep it up!

And congrats on getting hitched!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
raLt5vrVtwUSpfz3CoHyQEkNQvczIBlpFxkGTCPx7bvW1IyqkmEzpCzFZay2ga0e