7/28/24 3:26 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

What that needs is a bridge ported 13B

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/28/24 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Only weirdos race rotaries.

I kid, but our plan is either a 3.8 and 4l60e from a 4th generation f-body or a 4.3 from an s10. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/28/24 4:08 p.m.

Are these bumpers removable in modified class?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/24 4:12 p.m.

Ignore the naysayers, an automatic is way better for rallycross.  The ratios are better and you don't ever miss a shift.  And they don't break constantly.

I would say the bumpers are not removable unless a visually similar facsimile is put in its place.  The only bumpers that can be removed are the ones that don't define the shape of the car, like ACVWs or some Rabbits or the like.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/24 7:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ignore the naysayers, an automatic is way better for rallycross.  The ratios are better and you don't ever miss a shift.  And they don't break constantly.

I would say the bumpers are not removable unless a visually similar facsimile is put in its place.  The only bumpers that can be removed are the ones that don't define the shape of the car, like ACVWs or some Rabbits or the like.

in our region, nobody cares. We've driven away all the annoying rulebook purists, thankfully (I won't name any names but I'm sure Pete can think of a few I'm talking about).  But some loser will probably protest you someplace because you know....taking its bumpers off totally makes a Chevette a class-beater lol.....

7/28/24 7:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

in our region, nobody cares. We've driven away all the annoying rulebook purists, thankfully (I won't name any names but I'm sure Pete can think of a few I'm talking about).  But some loser will probably protest you someplace because you know....taking its bumpers off totally makes a Chevette a class-beater lol.....

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
7/29/24 1:44 p.m.

Ooooh, this is going to be good!

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/29/24 6:28 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

The cosmetic rules aren't about performance, so much as they are about optics.  Specifically we (the three of us who were called upon to hatch the Mod rules) didn't want to see cars that looked like they took 3rd place at a demo derby like the guy who showed up with an "Impreza" at Nationals in 2014.  Looks bad if you are trying to promote the sport to new people (autocrossers mainly smiley )

I am sure the OP remembers when we had some people in a catchall "run watcha brung" class that we called SR since nobody ran SR and they only cared about competing against their group of friends anyway.  They had a multicolored 240SX and a thoroughly well used E36 that I think had a piece of ducting sheetmetal riveted over what was left of the left rear quarter panel...

We told them, as long as you're safe, we don't mind, but at any kind of divisional or national event you can expect to be protested out to Mod or spectator class.

Thus, my answer is "you asked what the rules allow, that's *this*" smiley

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/29/24 9:36 p.m.

After our hot laps Saturday the 30+ year old economy radials had wires hanging out of the sidewalls, so I'm going to pickup some almost new snow tires tomorrow after work. Besides that the agenda for this week is finishing the floor repairs and making seat brackets.

7/29/24 9:47 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The cosmetic rules aren't about performance, so much as they are about optics.  Specifically we (the three of us who were called upon to hatch the Mod rules) didn't want to see cars that looked like they took 3rd place at a demo derby like the guy who showed up with an "Impreza" at Nationals in 2014.  Looks bad if you are trying to promote the sport to new people (autocrossers mainly smiley )

I am sure the OP remembers when we had some people in a catchall "run watcha brung" class that we called SR since nobody ran SR and they only cared about competing against their group of friends anyway.  They had a multicolored 240SX and a thoroughly well used E36 that I think had a piece of ducting sheetmetal riveted over what was left of the left rear quarter panel...

We told them, as long as you're safe, we don't mind, but at any kind of divisional or national event you can expect to be protested out to Mod or spectator class.

Thus, my answer is "you asked what the rules allow, that's *this*" smiley

so all Subarus are illegal since their bumpers pretty much are gone after a run or two? ;)

but seriously - I understand "not make it look like a crash-up derby car, " but "taking giant 70s-80s USA bumpers off a car makes it look worse" is something that has never been uttered in the real world. 

making rules decisions based on VERY subjective opinions of "what looks good" or "what defines the shape of the car" is asking for trouble anyhow.

How is the Chevette losing its ugly bumpers any different from a Beetle removing the huge bumpers? Since we are basing this on opinions, MY opinion is that the big Chrome bumpers are certainly a defining visual feature of a Beetle. Doug's car looks great, of course, but it's still an example of "eye of the beholder" as it applies to cosmetic rules. 

V

Autocrossers, yeah?: "I was gonna go to a rallycross, I hear there's some stock-looking chevettes running so that's SWEET - but now I hear the chevettes don't have bumpers, so I'm totally not going now!!" :)

7/29/24 9:56 p.m.

Also big bumpers removed and replaced with a piece of DOM tubing, not something resembling the stock bumpers. Love this car too, but again, I don't see how this is different from the Chevette. The 914 also has the big stock bumpers that are clearly noticeable when missing. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/30/24 7:00 a.m.

We could have gone with what the BOD wanted, which was no modifications whatsoever except for series sponsor stickers smiley  There were a lot of things that were difficult sells.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/30/24 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It's always interesting to hear how these rules come to exist and find out the intentions behind them, thanks for the info.

7/30/24 7:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

We could have gone with what the BOD wanted, which was no modifications whatsoever except for series sponsor stickers smiley  There were a lot of things that were difficult sells.

no modifications in....modified class? Even if you're referring to exterior modifications specifically, that would basically disqualify 90% of MR cars in the country lol....wut?

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/30/24 7:51 p.m.

That was why we had to come up with a good compromise, what will allow people to have the freedom to do interesting things, but keep it reined in enough that you could expect any given car to look acceptable on the cover of Sportscar.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/30/24 9:22 p.m.

I brought home a set of barely used blizzaks on 15" steelies. Seller said they only had two weeks of road time.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/30/24 10:00 p.m.

In case someone stumbles upon this thread in the future that is also building a chevette the wheels are from a 2019 Chevy spark and they fit perfect. They have about 3/4" more backspacing but it seems to clear everything at full lock.

7/30/24 10:11 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

* slight * improvement ;)

7/30/24 10:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Sportscar.

if the rule set was in any way determined based on the requirements of that waste of glosssy paper ad-mag, it would seem there's no further point in discussing this topic, so Back to Chevette!

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
7/31/24 9:51 a.m.

Chevette + modifications =

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
8/25/24 7:51 p.m.

Sorry for the slow updates, there was a small amount of rust repair necessary before I could move forward with fun stuff.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
8/25/24 7:59 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Your floor looks better than mine does!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mE6kyRGNHXPJa7XMW8N6d6aLoUPfMq8VLA45FbhGWqjHJEvNmQW2C9QphhmXEVth