1 2 3 4 ... 23
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/14 8:34 p.m.

Assuming you have to make right and left circles would you have time between runs to swap tires so that the 10" wide ones are both one the outside of the car? The wider tires and stagger should make the car want to turn well on its own,

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/1/14 8:34 p.m.

Yeah, the 1600 dual ports I ran in my vees were plenty powerful. I dont think this 1600sp I have is all that fresh and if I'm opening stuff up for cams or any other major work then I'll just go with the T4 motor.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
12/1/14 11:16 p.m.

If you wanted a square wheel setup instead of the stagger, I have a pair of 15x10 4 bolt chrome rims in the VW bolt pattern. I doubt I'll use them at this point.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/2/14 5:55 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: If you wanted a square wheel setup instead of the stagger, I have a pair of 15x10 4 bolt chrome rims in the VW bolt pattern. I doubt I'll use them at this point.

I might definitely be interested. Even if I dont go square the 15x10s I have are bubba's backyard welding specials, they weigh a ton and I doubt they'd ever come close to balance :)

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/2/14 6:35 p.m.

More tear down on the T4 motor. For the first time in my 25 year history of working on VWs I was able to remove all the screws in the tinwork without stripping or resorting to vice grips. I'd like to say I've developed skills and patience but the truth is this really is a very low mile unmolested motor. The screws had never before been touched so they were pristine.

Hows this for like new clean?

Other side just as nice.

All the factory markings are still on the heads and block

Inside the valve covers, factory fresh

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/14 6:52 p.m.

That's certainly cleaner than any engine I've ever been into.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/14 7:08 p.m.

Wow!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/2/14 7:45 p.m.

Holy crap! Was it even run?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/2/14 8:24 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Holy crap! Was it even run?

Supposedly a 30,000 mile motor, doesn't look it. Spent the rest of the night fighting the heater boxes (part of the exhaust) off. That's done so I can pull the heads tomorrow and see what's happening inside.

Now to scrounge up some money for carburetors. The heater boxes are still in good shape so they'll bring a few dollars and I may sell off the 1600 to fund some of this but Im trying to hold off on that as long as I can to ensure I have a viable motor in the 2 liter.

adoyle88
adoyle88 New Reader
12/2/14 8:57 p.m.

I've never dealt with a type 4 (I've got a 2276cc type 1). What are those long wires under the rocker arms?

What carbs are you planning on using?

dropstep
dropstep Reader
12/2/14 10:16 p.m.

i grew up with my dad building sandrails, i love these things!

Lonny
Lonny None
12/2/14 11:04 p.m.

The long wires under the rocker arms are pushrod tube retainers.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/3/14 6:04 a.m.
adoyle88 wrote: I've never dealt with a type 4 (I've got a 2276cc type 1). What are those long wires under the rocker arms? What carbs are you planning on using?

Lonny correctly answered the first question.

As to carbs...whatever I find cheap. My goal is to keep this build around $1000 (I will recoup some of the purchase price from parts sales) I know where I can get a couple of sets of the "stock" solex 32-34 PDSITs for $100, and there's always the weber progressive as a cheap option. Ideally though I'll find a set of 40 IDFs, probably the new chinese knock offs sold by EMPI. I have a line on a set right now, used, which is better because I know they were working on the vehicle which means they were a "good" set. The new knock offs are a quality crap shoot so if you find ones that work, great, but if not, you suffer.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/3/14 7:57 a.m.

You can borrow the Stromberg WWC on my Town and Country.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/3/14 8:06 p.m.

Boring night for photos. I tore down the axles to clean and repack the CV joints and paint the axle shafts.

I also pulled one head but forgot to get photos. Everything looked good inside, light carbon good crosshatch on the cylinders. There was discoloration where the rings have been resting on the cylinder wall all these years but it was not pitted or scored in any way, you could not feel it with a fingernail so Im satisfied. I'll have to pull the other side off tomorrow but so far so good.

On the parts front a new (used) set of rear trailing arms are on the way to repair the butchered ones I had. and a bunch of small stuff was ordered today, bushings for the trialing arms, tune up parts for the engine etc.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/14 8:13 p.m.

Loving it. Makes me miss my ACVW days..

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/14 10:18 p.m.

Here's a hair-brained idea to deal with the subject of the front end being too light - why not swap in a 924 torque-tube/transaxle and a 20v turbo Audi mill up front?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
12/3/14 10:49 p.m.

Clean motor!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 6:13 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Here's a hair-brained idea to deal with the subject of the front end being too light - why not swap in a 924 torque-tube/transaxle and a 20v turbo Audi mill up front?

For the same reason I'm not converting to mid engined which would be the easier approach. I want to do this quick and cheap :)

VWguyBruce wrote: Clean motor!

The sad part from the "clean motor" standpoint is that I will probably not be using those very pretty clean heads. Those who know more than I do warn that the FI heads have smaller valves and if I'm going to carb it then I would get more bang for the buck with 1.8 heads. Now normally I'd just deal with it so as not to add expense to the project but the whole package already came with a set of 1.8 heads :)

dankimber
dankimber Reader
12/4/14 11:33 a.m.

Just remember your wife will be even happier then she was before when she gets the garage space back!! I know mine is after selling the 2014 challenge car.

Looks like a blast.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 11:41 a.m.
dankimber wrote: Just remember your wife will be even happier then she was before when she gets the garage space back!! I know mine is after selling the 2014 challenge car. Looks like a blast.

8 years living in a house with a 4 car garage and neither of our DDs has ever parked inside. She knows better than to hope for garage space.

Beagle
Beagle New Reader
12/4/14 12:10 p.m.

Every time I get the garage project free enough to park a running car in it, I sell the house...

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/14 3:35 p.m.

Love this thread so far! A very interesting project, a bit outside the norm, and not something I would be likely to tackle myself, all of which make for great reading! Thanks for sharing so we all can follow along!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 4:08 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: a bit outside the norm

I specialize in "outside the norm"

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 7:14 p.m.

Ok, a little more progress tonite. I was kinda not in the mood for mechanical stuff tonite so it was time to tackle the job I'd been putting off, removing the floor. Its just welded in all the spots and some of them weren't really accessible or visible from the top side. I couldn't just go flailing at it with tools of destruction since there were support bars underneath that I needed to preserve. The answer was simple, attack it from underneath. Of course my mid rise lift blocks all the bits I needed to get at so plan B...roll over little doggie.

With that it was just grind/sawzall/hammer/chisel/curse/repeat until it all fell out.

And the pile grows

That's all for tonite I've got Aspahault Ad business to attend to, we have a little event going on in a few months ya know ;)

1 2 3 4 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oj3Bvmy4NyFU3mZH9qScl45BykkJdKjJZmQjZKWeJuoujBbsBvFb6HiSf8XyfrDG