1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/16/23 2:35 p.m.

I'm actually digging the vaporproof lights without the covers. Sorry I'm a electrician and my wife say's I can be a little OCD with it sometimes. 

Only part I have any kind of design issue is the abrupt ending of the soup bowl lip around the back section of the car. I wonder if it could be integrated into a hoop with a rollbar.

Ever since a friend of mine, who is a retired fire fighter, told me of wreck on I5 in Seattle. Where two teenage girls got ground in half when the Miata they were in flipped over after getting hit. I haven't been able to drive or ride in a convertible unless there is a rollbar or pop up one.  

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
12/17/23 11:00 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) :

I am planning on adding a Cobra style roll bar. Not sure if I'll do one or two hoops. The back deck is a bit of a challenge, but I am trying to keep some of the Europa flavor there. The ends of the buttresses will have vent holes added. Probably only semi-functional.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/23 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

i have a cage bender with 1 3/4" dies if you need to bend a hoop

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
12/17/23 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Great to know! Thanks. I will take you up on that when I get there!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
12/26/23 11:31 a.m.

Baby steps!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
12/26/23 5:46 p.m.

couldn't resist mocking up some wire mesh to make it look more finished.  Much closer to the look I'm going for.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/23 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King : 

That looks great!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
12/26/23 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks. I think it makes the sail panels look functional rather than just add ons, even if they don't do much.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/15/24 4:42 p.m.

Not very sexy, but just to take a break from body work, I capped off the tops of the pillars. Will only be visible with the hood or boot open, but they look much mor finished.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/20/24 3:17 p.m.

One of the things that I really enjoy about projects like this, is finding simple solutions to problems. This is something that most guys wouldn't appreciate, but I expect that this crowd would. I am using gas lift supports to open the rear clamshell. I have them mounted at an angle that easily lifts the clamshell, but because of the location of the mounting points I only have room for about a 17"strut. This gives me plenty of room to service the engine, but doesn't give me access to the cargo area behind the engine compartment. So I made a simple bracket that retains the original mounting point for the bottom of the strut, but allows it to pivot an extra few inches to give a second resting position that opens up the cargo area. 

Original pivot point.

Bracket extended.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/20/24 4:40 p.m.

Simplify .........

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/20/24 5:55 p.m.

Is that like the service position of Mercedes' hoods??  Very cool

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/20/24 5:59 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

yes

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/21/24 8:12 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

My build philosophy is usually " If you copy one person it's plagiarism ... if you copy everyone it's research!" But, in this case I was just making it up as I go.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/21/24 9:42 a.m.

Maybe you have a quarter turn fastener in there to keep the bracket solidly in position u til you need/want the extra room and then you release the fasteners and open it further?

love the project 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/21/24 4:57 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

That was my original idea, but it turns out that I don't need it. The weight of the clam shell holds it in the original location, then when you push it to fully open the weight of the clam shell passes the tipping point and the weight holds it open.

Dean_does_it
Dean_does_it New Reader
1/21/24 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

If you have hood or an engine cover, I'd be very interested.  I'm building one with a Honda drivetrain.  The only big parts I need are those covers.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/21/24 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Dean_does_it :

Sorry, can't help you there.  I now have two hoods for my LS powered Europa. (One stock, one with a GT40 style vent) I have plans to modify the second engine cover.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/24 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

The weight holds it open until a breeze knocks it down again... oops!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/22/24 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yep! That is true!smiley but at least the supports are strong enough that it shouldn't slam down the whole way.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/27/24 3:35 p.m.

Getting the geometry right on the front supports took some time, but it was worth. It!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/27/24 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

You nailed it.  Well done.

What's your goal for first drive?  Will it be in 2024?

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/27/24 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I'm hoping to have it running by early summer.  (But that was my plan last year too!) After paint, I need to figure out the brakes. I know the engine runs, but the transmission is untested.  If all the mechanicals work, I should have all the parts I need to make it drive.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/30/24 1:19 p.m.

Last tweak of the hood props. (I promise!) Only thing left is to paint them and I'll wait til I prime the shells.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/3/24 4:02 p.m.

Prime time!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dL85NKLHxz1t8dVaE2EPPcFeVfFa7OQv09DMLXcmEArk0p7PhfygCWcJyn66b6Zb