1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
10/26/23 1:35 a.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Capable.  So far.  But I'm getting older; nothing lasts forever.

Deliverance was filmed on a river (whose name I forget) on the boundary between N. Georgia and S.C., but I get your meaning.  We've been stereotyped. 

Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
10/26/23 1:49 a.m.

Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/23 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Asas_Dad :

People are afeared of greatness, Dad.

Aww, shucks.

Don't blow smoke at me, Son

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/26/23 8:30 a.m.

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but are you retired or semi-retired?  Just curious.  I'm jealous of your weekday shenanigans. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

You know I haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. 

Today is going to be all those little projects that you halfassed to get working but should be better. 

Here's my power/electronics area. Thrown together but worked. Kinda like my Challenge cars during Concours. 

Here's what my Challenge car looks like the next weekend after judges give the feedback that I would have gotten a lot more points if it had been neater. 

The brick hanging on the bottom right is a temporary inverter for the cell booster. My research before I bought it pointed to it being 12v DC with a transformer. That's easy to drop the transformer. Turns out it's 5v DC so a little more work. 

Speaking of cell booster I've been using the Network Cell Info Lite app to measure signal and find towers. It kept saying that I was connected to a tower around 5 degrees north of me. Only problem is when I aimed that direction I couldn't get good signal. Finally I went with what worked with aiming the hotspot phone and went around 340 degrees. Well last night the ghost tower showed up in the app. 

I moved my aim about 10 more degrees to the west and it stabilized even more. 

Oh diyintorace introduced me to First Magnitude brewery. Very good like top 5 breweries I've been to. Highly recommend. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/26/23 10:59 a.m.

Are you planning on growing food on the property?  Like planting various fruit trees or easy edible greens? 
you can compost your waste(butt and food) and feed the plants. 

Stampie
10/26/23 11:20 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

You know I have considered it. At a minimum I'd like to do a small herb garden. Despite my background on both sides I really haven't done much gardening. Visiting my nephew when he worked on the farm really impressed me how nice it is to pick your food and cook it 5 minutes later. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/23 5:04 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'd like to do a small herb garden.

/sigh

I can't wait to retire. Haha.

Stampie
10/26/23 5:45 p.m.

In reply to preach :

I went into the AF on July 11th 1994 so I quit around June 11th 1994. After getting out I partook once and then had jobs until last January that I could be tested so I couldn't. It's coming up on 10 months and I still haven't done anything. I've thought about it but just not a pressing matter. 

I kind of took this afternoon off. I went to Wally World to get some USB cables, Home Depot for wood screws then to La Pasadita for lunch.  Still good Mexican. Still no alcohol. I asked and apparently they lost their license. 

Next was something I've resisted for a while now. I went to Alacuha County Animal Resources and Care. Aka the pound. I met Zeus (although I'm pretty sure he's sitting there saying wtf is this Zeus thing y'all are talking about) and he's cool. Very chill Great Dane mix.

He had two surgeries a couple of days ago and they said he was on medicine because of the stress of being in there.  He seemed very droggy. Only thing they know about him was he was abandoned. My main concern is timing because the property here isn't exactly fit for a dog that's recovering from surgery. I also have a lot of stuff going on other than the property. I'm going to think about it and see. 

After that I mowed the ditch and walked to the end of the circle drive to fly the drone and figure out where it was in relation to everything else. Pretty sure I know where it is now. 

preach
10/27/23 5:26 a.m.

Great looking pooch Stampie.

Stampie
10/27/23 1:19 p.m.

In reply to preach :

He is. 

I'm back in Jax now. I spent the morning cleaning up my mess. I used the 4x8 trailer as a cut center and it had a pile of cutoffs beside it. 

I think the next two projects are building a ramp/stairs to the cabin and shelves inside the cabin. The cabin door is 18 inches high and I'm getting tired of that. Shelves will let me organize my stuff better and get it off the floor of the cabin so I have more room to walk around. 

I had some left over insulation so I threw it up on CL the other day. Met a lady on the way out to give it to her. She's building off grid also about 30 minutes away. 

Stampie
10/28/23 7:19 p.m.

This is Bob because he never identified as Zeus. This morning neither Bob or I thought he would be curled up on my front seat. 

Today's plan was to go to Gainesville see what Lil Stampie thought of Bob and then head south to check out a car I was interested in. 

We stopped at the property for a few then headed to see Bob. As we parked a minivan parked beside us and the lady walked in a couple of minutes after I asked to see "Zeus".  I heard her say she was with an animal rescue and asked for a lady by name. Shortly afterwards they took us out to meet Bob. We walked him around the yard. Noticed that he peed a lot and hoped that meant he was house broken. Then I noticed the rescue lady and another woman come around the corner and stop. Thought I heard there he is. They didn't move on so I lowered my voice and asked the lady helping us if she was there for him. She said yes that she wanted to adopt him and then readopt him out from her rescue. I asked if we didn't take him right then she would?  She said yes because they were first come first served no holds. Body language said to me that they would prefer me. So then Bob's your uncle. 

Quick run to Rural King for a leash and a bed and off to central Florida to look at a car. I feel sorry for Bob driving him all over Florida but he was a trooper. He would alternate between the front passenger seat and the rear on his bed. He prefers the highway because every stop would make him get up. 

So far we've learned that he likes Jerky, cows, horses, and provolone cheese. He's a good pill taker and doesn't care if a little dog is growling and barking in his face. He really is a chill dog. 

preach
10/28/23 7:24 p.m.

Congrats on making a friend!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/28/23 7:28 p.m.

Bob's a good looking guy. Congrats!

Stampie
10/28/23 7:44 p.m.

Thanks guys.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/23 7:56 p.m.

I came here for cabin building and got a dog. #notbad. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/23 12:39 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

He needs to meet Toby!

Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
10/29/23 2:45 a.m.

I'm happy for you.  You've found a buddy.

Stampie
10/29/23 8:44 a.m.
a_florida_man said:

In reply to Stampie :

He needs to meet Toby!

They are both so chill I could see them now. "Sup?" "Nothing, just chilling."

Bob survived the night.  He's definitely house trained.  He pulls very slightly when he needs to pee or poop but afterwards he doesn't pull at all.  He's starting to learn his name.  Last night he would not leave my side.  If I stood up he was right with me.  I caught him a couple of times with some dirty cloths.  If you pet him right he does a low growl like a purr.  He did that more with Lil Stampie.  Overall I give him an A for first night.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/23 9:06 a.m.

The name is great, and I think you're both lucky. Congratulations!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/23 10:08 a.m.

Last night he would not leave my side.  If I stood up he was right with me.

"dude, thanks for getting me out of there. Let's go to Abuela's!"

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/29/23 12:17 p.m.

Fine looking pup there! 

Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
10/30/23 4:08 a.m.

Last night he would not leave my side.  If I stood up he was right with me. 

He's probably traumatized by his time in the pound.   Asa's first dog spent 10 days in a vet's recovering from Parvo; afterward, every time I'd take her to a vet, she'd tremble the whole visit.  And she never wanted to be away from me.  Dogs never stop loving you.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/30/23 8:21 a.m.

Bob looks like a real lap dog! 

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
10/30/23 9:18 a.m.

Great looking pup, seems like he found a good home!

Love brindle dogs, I have one of my own :)

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/30/23 10:44 a.m.

He definitely looks like a Bob.  Right on with the name and congrats on the friend :)

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ApxqGXRlRoMiEbc4q8JH57fKxeJ2w0tAqZY3DucwZjDyacnD1bnoxoprmyNZKb5