1 2 3
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/26/20 9:54 p.m.

Miata is 89.2" and the width would be pretty close, too. Seating position would be closer to the rear axle in the Cobra though.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/20 7:35 a.m.

Wow, outstanding purchase.

Dammit said:

Is there a RoW equivalent of the Mustang two front suspension? 

Yes, easy one.  The Triumph Herald / Spitfire etc. front suspension.  Went on everything from the late 50's through probably the late 80's or so.  Any by everything I mean specials, kit cars, race cars, low volume production cars.  Thousands, possibly tens of thousands of things like Formula Fords, Chaterham 7's etc.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
4/27/20 7:11 p.m.

Was it ever a complete car, or an unfinished project? Sorry slow guy here...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/20 8:42 p.m.

Datsun 1500, 89 ish wheelbase. I've got one, come get it!

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/27/20 11:00 p.m.

Car is unfinished.  He *previous owner* had a few projects he built/was working on when he passed away.  One was a 29 Ford he built from scratch. 

Sounded like it took a bit for them to list for sale.  I think they made a comment about it had been 5 years.

So, there is some work.  I believe I have all the parts for the Birkin to get complete.  Then I will switch to this one and see what we can do.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/28/20 6:54 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Datsun 1500, 89 ish wheelbase. I've got one, come get it!

In my humble opinion, this is a bonafide winner.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/28/20 7:17 a.m.

Shorten a Triumph Stag body?  It's only metal, how hard could it be? (kidding but it could look awesome and be a million little details to sort to make it really right)

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Robbie, Where you at?  Outside Chicago?

Thats about 2150 miles, given an hour load time, that would be a good 36-37 hours and about 215 gallons of fuel.  Hell, Send me some pics, let's see how much metal is left on there....

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/20 9:52 a.m.

We need more pics! I dig the datsun tub!

I'll admit being a little confused.  Is it a chassis for a Cobra kit/clone?  With Mustang II suspension?

Not a real Cobra chassis, right?  Because seems like that would be expensive.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 10:27 a.m.

It is a clone.  The rear is a Jaguar IRS and the front is a Mustang II.  The IRS I believe is from a 98 XJ.  The Front suspension is all new A-Arm setup.  Chassis is box tube with some round tube setup for body support.  It has outboard brakes front and rear on the car.

Not a real chassis, the $1500 price tag I would have been calling someone to sell an original chassis for whatever I could make on that.

Here are some better pics of the car.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/28/20 10:51 a.m.

That's very cool.

Finding a stock body to fit my be a challenge - long hood and short back end. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 11:08 a.m.

Yes I know, the goal/thought is to put the Cobra body on this thing.  Ive actually gotten a lot of tools this year to do some things on the other car.  So I have a bender at house now, Welder, have aluminum spool gun incoming, still a lot of Carbon Fiber "scrap" and resin for that. 

Of course, the minute you find something like this is just about exactly the time that you sold the last bits of your LS1/T5 combo in the garage.  So, I got that!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/28/20 11:14 a.m.

What's the width? that thing is berking awesome. I'll get you some photos and PM tonight.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/28/20 12:50 p.m.

What motor and trans?  And the intake??  Thing looks quite weird from here.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 1:14 p.m.

It's a 302 SBF with i think a AOD trans on it *It is an automatic*.

The engine was pulled from a newer roller vehicle, so its an EFI lower intake with a CUSTOM box top on it and the throttle body bolted to that.  It is....interesting.  I will have to get some better pics of this for ya'll to appreciate.  Also, Ill get the width of it too.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 3:31 p.m.

Main frame at the bottom is 49", the "body" is 56", and front outside tire to outside is 63".  Rear is wider, but didn't crawl in to measure

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/30/20 8:25 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the width? that thing is berking awesome. I'll get you some photos and PM tonight.

So it's been raining here basically non-stop since I posted this. I just sent you a pm.

You're probably going to need some flare to fit the dastun roadster body over the wheels (especially at the rear), but the rest seems like a good fit!

Wheelbase 2,280 mm (89.8 in)
Length 3,955 mm (155.7 in)
Width 1,495 mm (58.9 in)
Height 1,300 mm (51.2 in)
hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/30/20 10:29 a.m.

Another thought would be an MGA body. It would take some massaging, but the weak point on the MGA is the frame. They have serious rust issues so you can often find a solid body with a trashed frame underneath for not a ton of $$.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/20 11:40 a.m.

One could obtain a Cobra body, install an inline engine - presto an AC Ace replica that'd be original.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/30/20 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Rons :

300 inline 6 build.  The BIG BLOCK AC

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/30/20 12:40 p.m.
Thinkkker said:

Main frame at the bottom is 49"

You might like this photo. Inner sills are very straight and parallel, and pinch weld to pinch weld (inside to inside) is about 48.5 inches. 

Just saying.

Edit: the pic came out very dark. Let me see if I can improve upon it.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/30/20 1:57 p.m.

Alright.....I guess I need to talk to the wife and see what kind of possibility this can be.

You have a guess as to the weight on this?  and whats the shortest you can make this?  pull fenders and make just a body?  trying to figure if it will fit in the trailer....

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
4/30/20 2:13 p.m.

Cool find!

This place in LA sells a bunch of different and cool bodies 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/d/bill-devin-ss-vintage-body-only/7105985910.html

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aggdpT2bcWin5gzaIrOCjk0uJ2cK3lpOQXlwYP8NAIZpSPe0AtrjeN7AzybF6zoc