1 2 3 4
Dannoxyz
Dannoxyz
6/26/15 10:47 p.m.

Has the head been rebuilt? Could be valve-stem seal leaking oil into #2. Burnt oil can clog and bind the rings and cause a lot of blowby.

In many cases, I've seen the valve-stem seals pop off completely! Porsche didn't machine grooves into the guides to holds onto the seals; just smooth ends! Whenever I rebuild a head, I cut grooves into the guides.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
6/27/15 10:06 a.m.

Interesting. I am having the head rebuilt at the moment.

I picked up a Cometic head gasket too. I am only running 4 lbs of boost, not exactly destructive levels of boost.

The cylinders look great. I do believe there was an head gasket issue and I'm hoping with the head rebuild and a new gasket it'll be good to go. If not I have sourced another motor that I can pick up quickly and get into the car.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
6/27/15 6:43 p.m.

Here's some pics of the head gasket, head and the block all cleaned up ready for it's Cometic head gasket.

I have a cool event planned for this Sunday. A BMW club AutoX and then some open lapping. Here's hoping it all good when I put it back together. I'm still waiting for the head to be finished but everything else is ready to go. I even rebuilt my throttle body today. The seals were completely gone.

cliffdude
cliffdude New Reader
6/29/15 8:06 p.m.

Can I ask what head studs you are running? If standard head studs are used you will continue to have head gasket problems as I found out even on low boost. I installed Racegear head studs and followed a strict torque down process. Some of the 944 forums have some good information on torquing up our head studs. Hope it all goes well for you.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
7/4/15 4:53 p.m.

Well, this build thread is over.

The motor is blown. I blew the rings in cylinders 1, 3 and 4. I knew it was a gamble but it was a really fun project and I learned a ton of stuff. About 944's and about me.

I picked up a gorgeous 1986 944 Turbo today to replace the supercharged car which will serve as a doner and sell a bunch of parts from it. My focus with the turbo will be preservation. The car has been stored for many years and is in fantastic condition.

Thanks for following my posts up to this point and I am so proud of the work I accopmlished, especailly getting it into GRM and on Speedhunters.

944 turbo, here I come.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/4/15 5:19 p.m.

Wow. That's really too bad about the blower 944. Best of luck with the 951.

cliffdude
cliffdude New Reader
7/23/15 12:49 a.m.

Sad to hear that you have blown the engine. My engine has hung together now for over 8,000 kilometres and still going strong. However I found that if you start running boost on these engines tuning is critical so that is why I went to a stand alone ECU and run bigger injectors, more fuel and more fuel pressure to keep the cylinders cool. Best of luck with the 951.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/15 1:03 p.m.

(back form the dead)

Whoa that is cool. When you start thinking of selling things PM me. I would be interested. My 924s is sitting waiting for me to do something with it.

I would be interested in the head unit (M90), and all the piping as well as the IC. I have a Megasquirt all set up using the stock harness and a cam fired EDIS system as well as bigger injectors so I would not need your ECU.

Anyway if you do end up selling things let me know. Thanks!!

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
8/3/23 3:23 p.m.

I'm baaaaaaack...

The supercharger is back. 10 years after I originally started. It's currently running a VEMS standalone and I'm still getting it better everyday. 

Its currently in what was my brother's 944. Sadly he passed away in Jan and the car was left to me. I ran it at Mosport in July and it was really good. Lots of work to do but it is really cool that it is still running. 

In reply to johnnytorque :

sorry to hear about your brother.  it's a cool tribute to rip it up in his old car though.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
8/5/23 10:01 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to johnnytorque :

sorry to hear about your brother.  it's a cool tribute to rip it up in his old car though.

Thanks for that.  We built the car together over the last 14 years. It started life as a $600 car with a blown motor.  100's of hours of work into it together, it was a wonderful way for us to spend time together. I'm honoured to own it now.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2lfQL3f73Pmmu64oisJf3etoXQy4CtU1oEHD0G42GZSm8oOdGdsmTYXNskslvLlw