wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/23 5:22 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Was not expecting that

2021?  Just a typo?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 5:45 p.m.

Trophy from 2021 season championship that I never received.

Still driving home, car still feels awesome

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/23 7:17 p.m.

So, I topped off the fuel tank at the Speedway near the Ohio Turnpike and Rt. 10/I-480.

Drove to the rallycross.

Rallycrossed.

Drove home.

Drove to work.

Drove to Summit Racing, where they did not have nearly the stock of cheap relays that they used to have.  What used to be $9/two was now $13/one.  Pass.

Went to the nearest fuel station, because we were getting a couple needle widths to E and I didn't remember if E meant EMPTY, if there was reserve, or if it was empty before the E.  Haven't spent enough time with the car.

12.6 gallons.  12.6 gallons to go 322 miles AND run two heats at a rallycross.

This is far different from the black car, which could swallow 8 gallons just from the competition itself.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
7/17/23 7:25 p.m.

I don't have a/c in my FB anymore but it too remains impressively cool during hot track days ever since I did an FC oil cooler. I personally like my rotaries n/a, but if it's of any interest to you I stumbled across an Elford turbo manifold on marketplace last night for $250

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/23 7:29 p.m.

It is only of interest for collector value.  The Elford setup, by recollection, was a complete, interconnected assembly.  It was a draw through arrangement that had a special little intake manifold that the turbo blew directly into (mostly into the primary ports) and another one that attached the carburetor to the turbo's inlet, as well as the exhaust manifold.  Very tidy setup that put the carb in pretty much the same spot as stock, and a lot of add on setups of the time were draw through.  Intercooling was something exotic that only Porsche bothered with.

The Mazda 12AT arrangement was much nicer because it was blow through.  And fuel injected.  Still not intercooled.  There is a mostly complete 12AT on eBay right now for $Texas.  Remember when they were $800 because nobody wanted them?

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
7/17/23 7:44 p.m.

He's got the special intake manifold too, but not the turbo or the oil separator return line setup. I assumed with carbs that an intercooler was mostly unnecessary as the carburetor intake charge has a natural cooling effect. I'd still rather do a Camden supercharger on my 12a if I find another car to home it but that's certainly not cost effective. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/23 8:14 p.m.

Oh my no, you still need intercooling.  One person I used to follow had a Turbo Tom setup on a 260Z - draw through Holley carburetor - and he reported needing about as much water injection as fuel when under boost.  Methanol has a cooling effect but since it is a fuel, it can still detonate. Water actually interferes with detonation, so ragged edge setups use all water.  This all goes back to the primary research on detonation done by Ricardo in the 1930s.

Speaking of cooling... the last time I rallycrossed this was under similar climatic conditions and I was finishing runs at 230F.  Maybe all of the crud in the radiator finally dissolved?  Before I could not use the A/C on the highway when it was over 80F or the engine would run in the 220-230 range.  Now it's fine.

This has the "short" radiator, not the tall one that '83- up RX-7s got.  The oil cooler (same size as GSL-SE and FC) mounts under it and the total stack size is that of the tall radiator.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/23 9:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/23 11:14 p.m.
j_tso
j_tso Dork
7/18/23 12:08 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Went to the nearest fuel station, because we were getting a couple needle widths to E and I didn't remember if E meant EMPTY, if there was reserve, or if it was empty before the E.  Haven't spent enough time with the car.

If you make a hard right the gauge should go up a little and all's well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/29/23 8:21 p.m.

and then this happened

The interesting thing is, this is probably also going to be the finishing order, unless Katie beats Shawn.  cheeky

I am also pretty sure that all three of these cars have won PR nationally.  (gotta catch 'em all!)

I will need to leave straight from work Friday night.  My plan for preparation is to ensure that I have sufficient two-stroke oil in the car, and drive it to work and back for the rest of the week.  I should probably check the fluids, too, but I am sure that will be fine.

I had the thought to get the trailer wiring finally finished so I can tow the tire/gear trailer, but I can't find the relays or the multiplexer.  And the trailer still has a Duratec and Mini parts all over it.  And, here is the important part: I know that if the car breaks, which I doubt it will but if it does, it will happen when I have a trailer to maximize difficulty in dragging a dead car around.  If all of my stuff can be self contained in the hatch, all should be fine.

Besides, half the point was that four 13" tires fit with a full interior.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/1/23 10:54 p.m.

Full day of work and four hours layer, I'm here.  Had a celebratory shot of Malört to celebrate.  Then had another to make sure it got to where it was going okay.

The RX-7 is FREAKIN AWESOME.  Spent most of the trip at 4k in 5th, 12A singing sweetly through the hills and across the flats.  Looks like an apparent 25mpg with a full load of gear.

Time to set up a tent

wae
wae PowerDork
9/1/23 11:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Good luck!  It's a pretty good surface that doesn't seem to degrade too quickly.  There's a bit of a gully that runs through the middle of the field, but they were getting better at working around it last month.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/1/23 11:38 p.m.

I've run here several times smiley

Too wired to sleep.  Did a really good week at work and now I get to rallycross again

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/2/23 6:38 a.m.

Berk it is cold

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/2/23 2:47 p.m.

Went to gas station during lunch break.  Trans stuck in 3rd gear in the way back.

Odd.

I was able to work it back out of gear (at 30mph) and it seems to shift okay, but the trans seems loud on course.  It was never really quiet despite the new bearings, but now it seems especially loud.

Odd.

Looks like I will check the fluid level after about three more runs.  Only way out is through!

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/2/23 2:58 p.m.

Run two.  Definitely loud.  Picked up a lot of time, now only 3s slower than Draco.

Competition is exactly as I predicted: Draco, Shawn, Katie, and me.  Draco and Shawn are having an epic battle, one picks up time, the other picks it up plus some, first gains a little again.  We're all having a blast and the afternoon course is very flowy and fast.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/23 6:27 a.m.

Good morning !!!!

Third run had an oops, I entered a turn wrong and had to hospital brake, slowing down dropping to 1st for a bit.  Loat a couple seconds.

Fourth run was entertaining. SOMEBODY Katie debeaded on their third run and the safety steward decided to change the course a bit after the third runs. It ended up getting a lot faster.  The RX-7 was singing sweetly through the course, flowing this way and that with great turn in and just the right amount of angle to exploit the power that was now available in 2nd gear due to the higher speed. The stock 12A does little below 4000 but above that it SINGS!

And then I entered a double gate feature way way too fast and took out the outside cones with a massive display of oversteer and dirt spray.  Sorry, workers at corner three!  This was my only cone of the day.  I think the only cone of anyone in PR.

Randy debeaded twice in the Mod heat, and the second debead actually shredded the inside sidewall of the tire.  Will try to get pictures later.  When it was getting dark after everyone had food in them, we had three guys standing on the tire and blocks of wood trying to get the outside bead to seat, when someone had the bright idea to check the other side... Oops.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/23 9:39 a.m.

First run. Matched Katie and Shawn's time with a 56!  And I had two or three seconds on the table when I braked for a corner that wasn't there!

Second run.  I liked the second corner so much I turned around and did it twice!

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/23 9:54 a.m.

Run 3. VINDICATED! 52.5 clean!

Draco ran like a 48 but he is in another county anyway

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/23 4:24 p.m.

Stupid phone ate the last post.

Short version: 50.25 clean.  Very large difference between 3rd and 4th runs' grip level.  So much that I entered the part I screwed up the first run too tight and could not make a straight out of a slalom. 

Just for brags.

Driving home is interesting.  Coolant temps were 220-230F most of the way up 77 up to things slowed down and got less hilly in Canton.  I have no oil temp gauge but oil pressure was only 55psi at 4000.  Normally it hits the 62psi regulator pressure at 3000.  Oof.

Also, Charles got to drive it a bit.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
9/4/23 8:13 a.m.

You're welcome. :D  Man, this weekend was so much fun.  Great courses, site and fun group of competitors.  Kudos to Southern WV and OVR for putting it on.

Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Fourth run was entertaining. SOMEBODY Katie debeaded on their third run and the safety steward decided to change the course a bit after the third runs. It ended up getting a lot faster.  The RX-7 was singing sweetly through the course, flowing this way and that with great turn in and just the right amount of angle to exploit the power that was now available in 2nd gear due to the higher speed. The stock 12A does little below 4000 but above that it SINGS!

cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
9/5/23 9:20 a.m.

Charles looks happy :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/12/23 7:10 p.m.

I'm sitting in my car trying to unwind (Red Bull and GRM and Wiki walking Nissan engines) and someone shows up with a camera and asks to take pics of my car.  Ok, go for it dude!

Turns out he is a photographer who is into Mazdas and has a '90 Miata that he is building up with a long nose 1.6 and ITBs.  Passing through Cleveland on his way to a photo shoot.

Neat.

We may have another photographer for OVR rallycrosses

1 ... 51 52 53 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rVDNsGK0Ae1cK4DDyHBlRXCRcVGVwMW2cvinkSi3MKiQnGMQUG00eWWVlq99vRPY