1 ... 3 4 5
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/8/21 7:24 a.m.

I'd leave the running boards off.  The truck isn't that tall so they aren't really necessary, but more importantly running boards are a trap for road dirt and water so they promote body rust.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/8/21 7:52 a.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

"Yes" and "no" on the running boards. Looks better without, but I understand the functionality. Maybe consider a newer set, one that doesn't trap dirt near the pinch weld, is less visually obtrusive, but allows easy ingress/egress.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/8/21 8:31 a.m.

I would call this project a light resto-mod in that the goal is restored with some logical advancements to modernize.  Modern wheels (but tastefully stock) as well as modernized drivetrain (fuel injection, etc but still tastefully stock.)

So with this all in mind, the running boards could go either way.  They add to the 1976 vibe but if you were to delete them that wouldn't be a detraction.  I think even if you kept with the above theme you could add a tasteful current/modern board and still be on-target.  

However, I have met your wife, and I'll bet that she will appreciate the "aide to entry" that a board/step can offer.  

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/21 10:23 a.m.

Ok. I think I'll put the steps back on. They fit the truck and are very functional, especially for my... vertically challenged wife. :P (hi dear). Also, there is very little damage to the pinch weld they are mounted to. It probably has something to do with the soft life this truck has lived and will continue to live in my care. However, I will take some time to protect what is there from further damage. The worst of it was between the front splash guard/mud flap and the back of the fender.

ShawneeCreek
9/19/23 1:19 p.m.

Wow. It's been two years since I updated this. Ugh. Unfortunately I can't say that I now have a running, driving truck. But there has been progress.

The engine from my Dad's pickup got torn down to the block last spring. I didn't find anything incriminating for why the engine wasn't running well.

Naturally, things stalled there with parts all over all of my work benches. I don't have the tools to properly clean or measure anything inside the engine, and I didn't want to invest in them. I also didn't know any good machine shops.

Good news though: I asked around and found what seems like a good machine shop and did this this morning:

The engine components are dropped off for cleaning and inspections. I should hear back in a couple of weeks how things look along with a plan for the machine work to be done. Then that will be accomplished the next week! They are recommending I switch from the current flat tappet lifters to hydraulic roller lifters as the block is already setup for them. They said it shouldn't cost too much and will avoid the complicated cam break-in procedure. Your opinions?

In the meantime I'm going to clean the workbenches and floor. Then I'll dig out and catalog my rebuild-the-engine new parts stash. I think I've got most of what I need, but I'm not sure. If I've still got time I might do some little projects on the truck. Here's hoping I can build up some momentum with this project and keep making progress.

- Sean

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/19/23 2:27 p.m.

Absolutely put roller lifters and cam in it. The valvetrain will live a much happier life. The TBI motors are tanks; not the fastest revving or highest power, but damn hard to hurt. The 4L60E transmission is known to have issues if overheated (the dreaded 4 neutral gear pattern). Fluid changes every 50k, a trans cooler, and never ever towing or hauling in OD will do wonders for longevity. 

Love the truck, it's gorgeous!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/23 3:39 p.m.

I missed this thread the first few times around.  Awesome truck and camper!  I'm in to follow the progress.

ShawneeCreek
10/4/23 8:58 p.m.

I had a few hours of garage time earlier this week and decided to tackle a small project with the truck. ~5 years ago I got a RetroSound head unit, per my request. It was an enjoyable few hours going from this hole where the previous aftermarket AM/FM/CB head unit was:

To this:

Retro look, but with two USB inputs, an AUX input, Bluetooth, and AM/FM. I think I'll like it. It's only physically installed for now. I'll wire it in later when I rework the interior wiring. For now, it's nice to have it out of the box and in the truck.

- Sean

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/5/23 10:16 a.m.

I always thought those retro-style head units were neat. 

Have you decided if you are gonna stick with a factory bumpstick profile, or maybe juice it up just a tad?

ShawneeCreek
10/5/23 12:51 p.m.

I haven't heard back from the machine shop yet. But my inclination is to at least go to roller lifters. That makes sense.

I'm not sure how aggressive I want to change the camshaft. If I change it too much, then I have to tune the ECU, and I don't think I want to get into that just yet. My primary goal right now is "running". Maybe circling back later for a winter project to swap the cam and tune the ECU. But slightly better than stock and on the stock tune could be good.

ShawneeCreek
11/13/23 8:19 p.m.

Good news! After more time than quoted, and at a higher cost than I hoped, I have my engine components back from the machine shop. I ended up going for the roller lifters and stock profile camshaft. I managed a couple hours this weekend and got the block back on the engine stand and the piston ring gaps checked (all in spec). Then I found out I needed a new tool: piston ring installation pliers. $10 later

Every project, even ones within other projects, is a excuse for a new tool, right? Piston rings were installed along with the crankshaft bearings. That allowed me to dry mount the crankshaft and check bearing clearance. Right within tolerance again. 

That's where I ended yesterday. Tonight, after stopping at the parts store for engine assembly lubricant, I used a half hour to finish installing the crankshaft.

I'm hoping to get the engine assembled soon so that I can paint it before it gets unreasonably cold outside.

- Sean

ShawneeCreek
7/4/24 10:49 a.m.

More progress has been made, just in smaller bursts as I fit it in around family commitments. The engine is nearly fully assembled and about ready to install into the truck. I'm just waiting on a power steering pump, fan clutch, and fan blades to arrive. 

Next steps are to remove the original engine and transmission from the truck, clean and paint the frame and engine as needed, and install the newly rebuilt engine. Hopefully I continue making steady progress. I really want this truck back running and driving. It's been parked too long.

- Sean

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/4/24 3:55 p.m.

A 4th of July update of The Bicentennial Camper Truck seems very fitting smiley

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/24 6:03 p.m.
John Welsh said:

A 4th of July update of The Bicentennial Camper Truck seems very fitting smiley

Indeed.  Thanks for bumping this thread.  I hadn't seen it previously.  It's been a fun read.

ShawneeCreek said:

It was an enjoyable few hours going from this hole where the previous aftermarket AM/FM/CB head unit was...

I'm assuming the fact that you started with a hole means the AM/FM/CB unit is long gone.  It's just the kind of woodgrain kitsch that makes my J20 happy.

ShawneeCreek
7/4/24 7:34 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

... actually I still have it. You are welcome to have it if you want to use it in your J20. It's an aftermarket unit that my grandparents installed soon after they bought it to replace the stock AM radio. As far as I remember it still works. I didn't test it though. We'll just need to figure out shipping.

- Sean

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/24 9:00 p.m.

Fantastic, I'd love to have that if you're not attached to it! It would probably fit in a large Priority Mail flat rate box if that's convenient for you. I'll send a PM. Thanks!

timster
timster New Reader
7/7/24 8:23 p.m.

Fun thread to read. Thanks for sharing your progress. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/7/24 10:14 p.m.

Oh wow, remember browsing through this thread when you started! Keep killing it!

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YI9hHwLeuWdn4IBAzPu0SGRIwsmsoE3TMFrrRpbuAH55kOt9WoHwWZaInYn0jJrG