1 2
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/16 11:38 a.m.

Lots of updates since last post!

First, I bought some wheels. I got one set of 17x7.5s (the stock viggen wheel) on CL for $100. They look like this:

I also grabbed a set I will use for my challenge tires, 16x6.5 stock ronal rims, for $80. They look like this:

Since my local scrapper pays $9 each for alloy wheels, that means my stock set is worth at least $36. So at the most, the challenge budget takes a $44 hit for the new wheels if I run the 16s (which I plan to).

Next I started on some fun projects for the interior. The saab dash panel is mostly flat, and higher trim levels put on a wood fascia. I have even seen a carbon fiber looking overlay, not sure if that was stock or custom though. I decided to do my own spin. I also found a map in the back pocket of the passenger seat. I am all about using free materials, and this came with the car, so booyah.

Remove dash panel:

Use elmers white glue and a brush to attach map to dash panel, use sharp knife to cut out the excess:

Replace dash in car (please excuse the fact that the car is still mostly nasty and dirty inside):

The shift knob was also gross. Leather ripped, falling apart:

I've had this 'WhatAGrip' hanging out in my garage for I don't know how long. I am not a tennis player, but it looked like the right tool for this job.

Tool the old knob apart:

Pulled the new grip over the knob (using the plastic bag provided to assist slipping the grip on), and cut to length. Replaced the button at the top. I didn't even glue it back down, it was a good pressure fit. I can easily add a dab of superglue if it comes off later:

It's not a great picture, but the end result is very nice. Material looks and feels great, fits tight, looks stock but is actually grippier!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/16 2:05 p.m.

That shift knob turned out fantastic.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
6/27/16 5:13 p.m.

I'm impressed by that grip stuff. I usually end up replacing knobs when they get that bad, or wrapping the shift rod in hockey tape until the thread no longer wears a hole in my hand.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/16 11:00 a.m.

Thanks guys, the shift knob really did turn out well. If I could only make all my projects come out like that...

I am though considering getting some of the same material (in the form of a roll) to wrap my steering wheel because I like how it looks and feels so much.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
6/29/16 10:52 p.m.

The dash map is also pretty cool but I wonder how long just straight paper will last like that. I'd be tempted to varnish it or something to at least keep humidity and the sun at bay.

But it's free!

Robbie
6/30/16 10:37 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: The dash map is also pretty cool but I wonder how long just straight paper will last like that. I'd be tempted to varnish it or something to at least keep humidity and the sun at bay. But it's free!

Yes, free it is. I have similar concerns. I also should have used scrap paper first to make a template and then my cutting could have been better around the edges and stuff. I'm thinking maybe I can get some polyurethane like people use to make beer bottle top tables and stuff and that might be the ticket.

But I have also been thinking about using other cool materials as well, like some thin faux leather, or possibly like a fabric with a fun pattern, etc. The flatness of the dash panel makes it pretty easy to find materials for.

I have a few other ideas for fun and not so normal visual projects for this car, so we will see how well or poorly they turn out!

Robbie
9/24/16 3:33 p.m.

Long time no updates. Stuff has been busy, but I think we are ready to load up for the challenge.

Yesterday I was able to flash a "stage 2" tune on this badboy with t5suite. (FREE!!!) took the max boost up from .8 bar to 1.25 bar. Holy cow this car scoots now.

With the crappy all seasons (still 215 section though) it is now right on the edge of traction from a roll in second gear from 3k to about 5.5k rpm. You can just hear the tires starting to howl. In first gear it will melt tires from a roll - no clutch drop needed.

My goal in the challenge is to hit 13s with some used drag slicks from my buddy.

Robbie
10/6/16 3:44 p.m.

Well - the $2016 challenge was mostly a success!

mid pack autox, mid pack drags, poor concours. Drag time was at best 15.7... (though see above I was hoping for a 13 - oops)

we had some issues that I plan to address going forward:

• boost control issues: the BPC took a dump a couple days before the event. I thought i'd be able to throw a manual boost controller on there and work with it but not really. It just wouldn't cut it. I was limited to either base boost (about 6 psi, less than 8 psi stock), or clamping the wastegate shut and running all the boost (spikes to about 22 psi). I tried the latter on the last drag run of the night, but the ecu kept seeing knock and pulling timing, causing a silly bucking effect going down the track. That was my 15.7 pass.
  • Oil leak - the oil cooler lines had a very small leak going into the event and it developed into a huge leak by the end. Simple fix, but it was dumping oil right onto my front right tire, probably further hurting my drag times.
  • floppy, floppy, floppy chassis. Not just soft springs, but blown out bushings and the like really made this car hard to push to the limit. Wheels hopping around, stuff clunking that shouldn't, etc.

I am already fixing the oil leaks and the boost control issue. For boost control, I am converting from a Saab T5 BPC to a Saab T7 BPC, which is much cheaper and more reliable, but it requires me to clip a chip off the ECU and do some re-flashing. Plus, I already have the BPC valve needed.

I am also looking into either replacing or fixing (fill with window weld or something) the bushings that need it, as well as securing some stiffer springs. I was able to trade an extra intercooler for a couple stiff springs I can use for the rear, and I think I might be able to cut down a jeep spring or something for the front.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 4:40 p.m.

I really wish I had more time to check out your car at the Challenge. My old Saab is still one of my favorite cars that I've owned.

Robbie
11/4/16 9:50 a.m.

Ok, lots of updates and lots of work done!

1. Fixed the oil leak.
  2. Replaced the BPC with the T7 model. No real test driving yet since I have been working on other stuff too, but starts and runs still (after clipping a chip off the ECU board - little scary).
  3. Replaced most suspension bushings on the car with polyurethane. eeuroparts.com has REALLY great deals on these poly bushings. I did the rear subframe bushings, front lower control arm rear and centers, and the front sway bar end links. I got the front lower control arm centers (new in bag) from a guy getting out of the saab game for $10, rear subframe $25, front lower control arm rear $20, and sway bar end links $6. So $61 for basically a whole car of poly bushings - wow! Also, the car had bad tie rod ends and ball joints, so while I had everything apart I took the opportunity to replace those bad boys as well. Really excited to have the suspension firmly located now!
  4. While the rear subframe was out I looked at the rear hard brake lines wrong and they started leaking due to rust. So that's crappy but oh well. Easy enough to do hard lines. Also, the front brake calipers were awful, so I took the opportunity to put on the calipers I grabbed from the parts car saab at the challenge. Bled the whole system with good ATE fluid too.
  5. I grabbed a set of 7 spoke saab wheels with already mounted snow tires for the winter. $160 well spent.

Here are some pictures:

bushing work, not glamorous but has to be done

rusty rear brake lines, yep, it was time

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/4/16 10:05 a.m.

It looks like I am getting back my old 99 9-3 from my brother. Should be fun.

Robbie
11/4/16 10:22 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: It looks like I am getting back my old 99 9-3 from my brother. Should be fun.

AWESOME!! I have all the stuff to throw a tune on there, if you want to do that let me know.

Robbie
11/7/16 8:30 p.m.

ok, some fun - how to paint your wheels!

1. Start by cleaning them really well.

2. Mask them. Crappy old cards work, and I found taping them all together really helps. Also makes it easy to transfer them to another wheel.

3. Paint. Spray paint is good these days. Even if you suck at painting it mostly smooths itself out. Keep the nozzle moving.

4. Put one in the sun for a beauty shot.

5. Place on car and add center caps. Suburban winter rally mode: ENGAGE! Not too bad for $160 in wheels and tires and $10 in spray paint.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
11/7/16 9:47 p.m.

What color is that? I like it!

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/8/16 11:19 a.m.

Ahhhh those are the 7 spoke BBS factory winter package wheels. good score! I miss my old saabs

Robbie
2/25/17 8:54 p.m.

Been rocking the Saab all winter. Heated seats are better in this vehicle than any other I have ever driven.

Anyway, the suspension is tired. A local saabcentral guy was parting a wrecked viggen convertible, so I agreed to buy all 4 springs and shocks from him for $200. The rear shocks ended up being basically just as blown as mine, but the fronts are almost brand new Bilstein B8s!!! What a great score.

Robbie
2/25/17 8:55 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: What color is that? I like it!

Dunno off the top of my head. It's like the darkest bronze at home depot. I can check tomorrow.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/28/17 11:59 a.m.

Anything new on this Robbie? I'm still kind of interested in the '99 on my local Craigslist for $500 OBO. Hmmm...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/17 1:00 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Anything new on this Robbie? I'm still kind of interested in the '99 on my local Craigslist for $500 OBO. Hmmm...

Sorry didn't see this! The car has been running basically flawlessly as a DD all year. I put a set of bilstien b8s on the front (used score from a viggen part out on saabcentral), and a couple stiffer springs from a coilover set I got at the challenge last year in trade for an IC.

Soon, we will be chopping the top to make this a pickup truck, and it will return to the challenge in October!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WMax17FsOARlBbUiMTDD8x6Bj3zUu1HLqNcv4gdpPxqiT5vqGyfjkuHvhJxuMj1i