1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/24/19 1:07 p.m.

The print from yesterday was in rubber because my first solid print failed when it wouldn't release from the print bed. 

Did a solid print again, but raised off the bed, and it came out awesome!!  

This was done on a SLA printer. A Formlabs Form2 in Grey Pro Resin. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/24/19 2:31 p.m.

That's rad. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/24/19 2:42 p.m.

This showed up today. It has gone very very fast in another car. It's art. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/24/19 5:21 p.m.
spacecadet said:

The print from yesterday was in rubber because my first solid print failed when it wouldn't release from the print bed. 

noice!

That reminds me I need to send Seth a sticker, still.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/19 5:40 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I don't know, it looks pretty heavy compared to the stock plastic one ;)

Adam

mazdeuce - Seth
4/24/19 6:47 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Weights coming tomorrow! laugh

davefla
davefla New Reader
4/24/19 7:30 p.m.
spacecadet said:

We’re through our third cartridge at work, and the Form2 needs less than a tenth of the maintenance that our single or dual extruder printers get. Nice emblem!

spacecadet
4/24/19 10:19 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm still SO Giddy that we got it... 

James is upgrading... here's the shifter in action last year at Road Atlanta... 

https://youtu.be/eZz4diyUMCc?t=937

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
4/24/19 10:21 p.m.

Those 3d printed badges look legit!

spacecadet
4/24/19 10:36 p.m.

In reply to davefla :

They're slow and annoying to deal with for any warranty issues. If you don't have a service plan.. buy one.. 

otherwise... solid product.. the different materials are very cool and useful.. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/19 5:12 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Ahh, that car. His shop is just a few blocks away from me in Kitchener, in fact I've had my car oil sprayed there in the past. That's awesome it is going in this car.

Adam

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/19 7:05 a.m.

And special thanks to spacecadet for his on point social media game. I've been talking about getting one of these since early on in the project but it was fairly low on the priority list. This popped up for a VERY attractive price and he pounced on it. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
4/25/19 7:12 a.m.

I suspect that may be one of the fastest non sequential shifters anywhere in the country. Awesome to see it living on in your car!

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

On the one hand, the shifter has gone very fast. On the other hand, it's wiggled the gears of a lot of broken transmissions. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/19 8:14 a.m.

Looks like I gained all of my glove compartment gutting weight back. sad I think it will be worth it. 

For those building a super light car though, the stock shifter is clearly the way to go. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/25/19 8:47 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Looks like I gained all of my glove compartment gutting weight back. sad I think it will be worth it. 

{image of stock shifter weighing 2#s}

{image of AL shifter weighing 4#s}

For those building a super light car though, a custom carbon fiber version of the new shifter is clearly the way to go. 

FTFY

spacecadet
4/25/19 9:13 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

On the one hand, the shifter has gone very fast. On the other hand, it's wiggled the gears of a lot of broken transmissions. laugh

#DriveFastandBreakThings 

spacecadet
4/25/19 9:26 a.m.

More progress this morning and last night

Buddy says to me when I show him the photo

R'ts and Crafts......

spacecadet
4/25/19 10:04 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Beat me too it.. Was going to say fiber reinforced plastic.. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/19 1:20 p.m.

The shifter was missing a bolt and spacer to attach one of the cable ends. Not sure if it fell out of the box or what, not a big deal. I have a message out to K-tuned to see if I can buy that small piece, but in the mean time, we've got a One Lap to do. 

I bought a bolt, nyloc nut, a few washers and a spacer that I had to resize with my handy dandy drill/lathe and some files and sandpaper. 

The new bushing fits in the end of the cable like so. 

And the whole thing fits onto the shifter like this. 

There is a bunch of potential adjustments on the shifter and a few pieces that may be a smidge warn after their previous life, but it bolted right in like stock. Even though I didn't clean it up, it's still pretty. 

It shifts well. The change isn't huge but I didn't expect it to be. The shifts are shorter than before and the knob is an inch or two higher, and those are probably the biggest changes. It doesn't shift as well as the ND, but it's a whole hell of a lot better than it was when I got the car. Sleepyhead and spacecadet can give their opinions in another week. 

spacecadet
4/25/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

It's never going to shift as well as the ND... but dammit is it cool! 

apexanimal
apexanimal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/27/19 8:58 p.m.

i'll be by to drool over the shifter...

mazdeuce - Seth
4/27/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to apexanimal :

It's so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

apexanimal
apexanimal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/28/19 4:41 p.m.

when i was planning on building a factory five 818 it was on my list for sure... 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/14/19 9:12 a.m.

So this happened. One Lap 2019

75 cars started the wet skid pad at Tire Rack. 66 cars made a pass on the wet skid pad a week later. We finished 64 out of the original 75 and we finished all of the events for the week. Of the 11 cars we finished in front of, two of them also completed all of teh events which means that we did not win All Remaining cars. We met our goals. You can read about the adventure here.

The car was basically perfect for what it is. 28.93 mpg over the 5800 miles of the week. We added a bit over four quarts of oil during the week. Never took a wheel off the car. The only thing that went wrong was blowing the fuse for the AC compressor. Luckily I keep the factory spare fuse spots full and that got things blowing cold again. Tiny battery worked great though we had a moment in Minnesota where we all held our breath for a few slow cranks. 

Radio wasn't great. The plan to remove the rear speakers so that the person in back could sleep backfired a bit when we became part of a Slip Angle podcast during the week. It was released the next day and the person in the back seat couldn't hear it requiring us to listen to it again after a driver change. 

What would I change? The car is slow, but I wouldn't add power to change that. Not now. The biggest issue as the car sits is the 2-3 shift. Lots of corners on track that are in the last 4-600rpm of 2nd but below the good part of the power in third. There isn't a good way to come out of those corners. I think the six speed and LSD out of a Civic Si would be a huge improvement. More weight can always come off the car though much of the low hanging fruit has been picked. The thing that cost me the most time over the week is fast corners. I'm uncomfortable turning the car in above 75-80 and there are a LOT of corners that are really in the 80-110 range. I just don't like the feedback through the car at those speeds. Once the car is set I'm mostly ok, but with the power where it is, you're not getting up to speed on those corners, where you go in is about where you finish. Go in 15mph slow and you lose a LOT of time. Sleepyhead didn't have the same problems with those corners that I did which makes me wonder if it's just me being a coward or if I'm feeling something that can be improved. Suspension changes? Aero? A combination of the two to settle the car at speed? 

What now? The back seat is in again and I took the kids to school in it this morning. I'm talking to lots of people about One Lap next year and it's unlikely that the Accord will be pressed into service for 2020. I'll still use it for track days and I'm sure it will see OLOA again, just not right now. 

It's a good car. It's done what I hoped it would do when I bought it. I think it can still be better. 

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wvjg3vRVltUlrnYfIq1cOEnq8lohWedUnkkgV1x8QHAvcXIxounCkoBxl9f6YSVw