1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/7/19 8:15 a.m.

It was good to see the GRM'er.  I think it has been 6 years since I've seen Evan.  Knurled and I only met once, for less than 3 minutes, in my driveway, in the dark, in a snow storm, when he picked up some parts from my garage.  

I think I had met Dead once other time at Pat's.  First time for meeting Indy.  

Aside from always good to see Pat, the pork that Dead brought was excellent.  

I had left before the Wartburg body was reunited with the Wartburg frame, therefore, my highlight of the day was getting a ride in The Jag and seeing/hearing/feeling the muffler cutouts in action!  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/19 8:22 a.m.
slowbird said:

One person's trash is another person's...Wartburg...as the saying goes (sorta)

It's stuff like this that not only makes me feel good that it even exists, but increases my distaste for "rat rod"s.  The idea behind a true rat rod, in the 1950s sense, is similar: get the most out of the least.  But the modern interpretation is horrifying, in the same way that chrome was transformed from a way to harden/weatherproof high-wear steel into a fashion accessory ("if it's don't go, chrome it").  "Rat rod" today means painstakingly making it look like you had no talent or consideration when putting some hulk together, leaving things unpainted, welding on random bits of sawblades or axe heads like the builder had sat through 24 hours of the Home and Garden Channel with eyes forced open, Clockwork Orange-style.  That's not building, that's accessorizing.

This is building.  This makes me smile that it still exists.  I feel proud to have been a part of it, even if it was just hammering on knuckles like a chimpanzee, and wiping various life forms off of some once high end shocks that were found in a mudhole somewhere.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/7/19 8:26 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

What structure did you suspend the body from? I may have to do the same.

Patrick has a magical levitating 4x4 frame with a chain hoist on it.  

Knurled.
7/7/19 8:33 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

What structure did you suspend the body from? I may have to do the same.

Patrick has a magical levitating 4x4 frame with a chain hoist on it.  

Step 1:  Build a substructure out of 4x4s to support the weight of the body because you don't trust the garage's roof to do the job.

Step 2:  Find out that the roof is strong enough to hold up the car, AND the substructure you built.

Step 3:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/7/19 8:41 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I think I had met Dead once other time at Pat's.  First time for meeting Indy.  

It's funny you say that.  I don't think we've met at Patrick's before, but way back when I started lurking GRM you posted a picture and I could have sworn I had met you before.  We frequent alot of the same events so it's entirely possible we've bumped into each other in the past.  

It was nice to meet you guys, sorry I couldn't stick around longer, hopefully next time.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/7/19 8:41 a.m.

A better picture from the Darth Nader build

Obscuring the picture is a wicker patio furniture sofa that is stored by suspending it from the garage truss (genius in itself.)

Two chain fall hoists hanging from the roof truss with generally two "helper posts" coming down to the floor so as to take some of the burden off the truss or absorb any potential sag.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/7/19 8:44 a.m.

I'm just glad so many more people have gotten to see this in the flesh, even if it is more like a full size snap together model right now. 

Knurled.
7/7/19 8:45 a.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Pretty sure i heard you until you were a mile away

It bothers me that this is +5 right now.

I'd like to think that it's because the rearend is as loud outside the car as inside, but after hearing Evan start and idle it to shuffle it around your yard, I have a feeling it's because Racing Beat does not make exhausts as quiet as they used to.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/7/19 10:12 a.m.

Patrick, thanks for hosting. Productive and fun day.

It was good meeting a bunch more fellow GRMers.

Dead-Sled, Pork was delicious.  I hope you get the basement dried out.

John, glad you enjoyed the Jaaaaag ride, sorry about your experience on the drive home wink

More pics of the days progress ( I didn't think to grab the camera early on in the day, so these are near the end of all the work)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/7/19 10:16 a.m.

The Gasser pulling it's first Wheelie!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/19 1:48 p.m.

Back said do not try and install an engine today, so i am listening and doing light duty minor detail bits

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/7/19 7:01 p.m.

Yes.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/19 7:01 p.m.

Inspirational...in so many ways.

Positive vibes being sent your way.

Carry on.

Patrick
7/8/19 4:07 p.m.

Oh the tedium of painting everything no matter how small 

one more death yesterday, i hope that E36 M3 is done.  My friend Matt’s father passed, but it’s a relieved sadness as he was wasting away with alzheimers.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/8/19 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

BERK the Alzheimer's !  I hate that berkeleying disease!

Patrick
7/10/19 8:36 p.m.

No car updates because as life happens fast, I’ve been getting this ready to sell:

Knurled.
7/10/19 8:40 p.m.

Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you're going to miss it.

(chk-a-chk-a)

Patrick
7/10/19 8:55 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you're going to miss it.

(chk-a-chk-a)

I bid on brap today 

the house is the one my cousin and her husband lived in, which i own.  Since her husband is now dead, she didn’t have it in her to live in their home alone and made a clean start not very far from Mr Knurled.  She always treated it as her forever house, and wanted to buy it someday when her credit didn’t suck, and i was assuming she would just live there forever.  

So it’s going live tomorrow, and i hope it sells quick.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/10/19 9:07 p.m.

I hope so too for your sake. 

Anything i can do to help from here?

Patrick
7/10/19 9:13 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I hope so too for your sake. 

Anything i can do to help from here?

I think we’re good, we bought the worst house on the street 8 years ago and now it’s the nicest one on the street 

Patrick
7/11/19 4:01 p.m.

More assembling 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/11/19 5:34 p.m.

This thing is so cool!  I love the tank in the background.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/11/19 6:09 p.m.

Stock market is at all time highs, interest rates low, unemployment low. If there was ever a good time to sell, this should be it. Crossing my fingers that things go so smoothly that you don't know what hit you.

Patrick
7/11/19 7:57 p.m.

before and after, now all the shocks have been scrubbed with a toothbrush 

Patrick
7/11/19 7:59 p.m.

Will have to take the corner off the u bolt plate and touch up the paint, it’s too close for comfort

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jDToQYUXpajK1oXTSTUHqsbxqv21ABwFetS0b0LpQZvzT5PoRfrAwJaFx26YPVaH