rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/24 8:04 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/343100998447903/

I have been looking at this ad since the weekend.  It's dropped $700 since Saturday which makes me think the seller is motivated.  I'm really considering taking a look at it since it's only an hour from me.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/23/24 8:39 p.m.

As I recall they are pretty small , 

See if you can find how wide it is in the seating area , 

Cool looking car if you can fit in it :)

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
5/24/24 6:38 a.m.

I've never heard of them before but I'm pretty close to Petersburg if you'd like a set of eyes before you make the drive. 

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
5/24/24 7:20 a.m.

Seem to remember them being used by funeral homes for taking the mourning family members to the plot back in the day. Would imagine there should not be to much issue with fitting a couple of blokes up in the front of it.

Here is a link from Wikipedia that has the dimensions you are looking for.

TriumphMayflower 04.jpg (1382×985) (autominded.net)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/24/24 7:27 a.m.

I've seen a few over the years since joining the area Triumph club.  I seem to remember one attended the ABRR with us a few years ago.  They are SLOW. Great for the British B roads they were designed for, but plan on an engine swap and/or mods if you want to travel at current hwy speeds.  And yes, they look bigger in pictures than they are in person.  I don't think I've ever seen a LHD example before.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
5/24/24 7:50 a.m.

Ask the seller to measure the inside width between the B-pillars. Small cars, like my 1972 Corolla were 46-48" across. I've only ever seen a couple of Mayflowers and they're narrow. Think 1930s Ford interior width. If he can measure it for you, it might save you a trip if space is a concern. I have all kinds of time on my hands, so I would take an hour and go see an interesting car and meet new people, even if I didn't end up buying it. But that's just me.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/24/24 9:14 a.m.

Do it!

Seems like a lot of fun for not much money.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
5/24/24 10:55 a.m.

Lol, i thought that might be the same car I saw in my feed the other day, when I read the thread title, sure enough it is.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/24/24 1:37 p.m.

Wheelbase 84 in (2,134 mm)

Length 156 in (3,962 mm) 13ft , same as an Aircooled bug 

Width 62 in (1,575 mm) 5ft 2 inches

Height 60 in (1,524 mm)

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/24 2:15 p.m.

The progenitor of the Triumph Spitfire, I recall seeing the odd one from my misspent youth but they were fairly rare while the the Austin A30/35 and Morris Minors were more common.

R

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/24/24 4:19 p.m.

I would love to make that a single seat sport bike powered Go-Kart with lights and license plates on it.  We dun' need no stinkin' Reverse!  Twist the wheel and stomp on it.

British license plate:   GRY PUPON

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/24 9:01 p.m.

Well, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short.  I had made arrangements to go tomorrow and check these out.  Have the cash in my wallet and making plans to get them home.  Messaged the seller to double check arrangements, and they are sold.  I really didn't need another project right now, but they were calling to me like the sirens from The Odyssey.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXaUtfpmEKQiw7eP8szEc3YPRQHuuXLxJ5UP25R0XQBKSkXFASZ95UQbJCw0zTvL