docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/31/24 9:45 a.m.

Daughter was going to take her car to school with her, all the way across the country to Miami Florida.  This is the Xterra I bought ~4 years ago from a forum member here.  Generally it's been a good car for us, but it's getting up in mileage, I don't speak "Nissan" well, and when it throws a CEL, the fix is never for what the light says it is.

Decision made to get her into something newer, hopefully with a warranty still.  A little looking around yielded a 2019 VW Tiguan that was still under the 6yr/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty and even better, was CPO, so it has a 7yr/84k mile warranty.  It's got 28 months and 30k miles of warranty left, which will get her through half of her senior year.

This make me happy, as she's totally oblivious mechanically and now if something goes wrong she can take it to any VW dealer and they'll fix it for free.  It's a SEL R line, so the highest trim level, all wheel drive, 2 row.  Dealer is getting me monster mats and a second key, otherwise it's good.

I need to go to the DMV and mail her the registration and stickers.  I'll reuse the plates off the XTerra since she already used them to sign up for a parking sticker at school. 

And a happy daughter

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/24 10:08 a.m.

Looks like a great replacement!! 

If she ever has any problems, there are a couple of us GRMers close. Feel free to get in touch. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/24 10:08 a.m.

Nice. A much better fit for a daughter on the other side of the country. As good as the Xterra was for a HS car, This is a much better fit for a college bound student to just drive and forget. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/24 10:41 a.m.

She'll pass through Gainesville every time she goes to/from school so add me to the list of resources.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/31/24 10:43 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Thanks, I agree!  Not only is it under warranty, I understand how VW's work and have decades of involvement in that community, so finding a good shop isn't hard...

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/4/24 12:42 a.m.

Interested to hear your impressions, we went to a CarMax and checked out pretty much all the small SUV/CUV options (we didn't drive anything, but sat in them and checked out room/packaging/quality of the interior/etc) and the Tiguan/Taos were two of the ones that impressed us both.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/4/24 10:01 a.m.

Nice car. TIL that SELs can come with halogen headlights. I've had a 2018 for 3 years and 40k miles, no issues other than some oil leaks found at an oil change that were warranty.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/5/24 9:58 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

It reminds me of a taller GTI, which it basically is.  I've been a VW fanboi for 30 years, so it puts me in my happy spot.  It feels nice inside, and is larger than expected. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/5/24 9:58 a.m.

In reply to 1kris06 :

When you said that I went out and looked at it, pretty sure it doesn't have halogen headlights but tonight I'll confirm.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/15/24 8:42 a.m.

Need some help from the S. Florida folks!  Car needs a new windshield and PDR.  Can anyone recommend a good glass shop and PDR guy?

TIA!

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings Reader
8/15/24 9:39 a.m.

Were you able to transfer the plates from the Xterra to the Volkswagen? I understood that Colorado had changed that rule and they no longer transfer plates? Just curious as I have a car that just got totaled and would love to transfer the plates to whatever we pick out, instead of new plates. They are a unique number even though they were given to us randomly when we registered the first car 20 years ago!

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/15/24 10:10 a.m.

Does this one have the 3rd row? just curious how usable or unusable it is?

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/15/24 1:51 p.m.

In reply to mechanicalmeanderings :

From what I understand you can't transfer plates unless they're personalized plates.  I want to keep the plates from the XTerra but I don't think I'll be able to.  The plates on my wife's car are the same as yours, nothing special as far as personalization, but a good number that we'd like to keep. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/15/24 1:52 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

It doesn't have the 3rd row, we wanted an AWD car and most of them don't have the 3rd row

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/24 2:01 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Does this one have the 3rd row? just curious how usable or unusable it is?

The SEL comes with AWD, and that takes the space that the third row uses.  The FWD versions are three row.  It's small, tight, and takes all of the storage space behind when up.  It would be great for grandparents to have extra seats for small people for those infrequent visits.  We have a 2024 SEL and love it, other than being slow, but that wasn't part of the criteria.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/24 2:47 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

It reminds me of a taller GTI, which it basically is.

Nice car. We bought our daughter a 2013 Tiguan S after I had a 2011 GTI. I called it a Tall Golf after the first time I drove it. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/24 9:24 p.m.
docwyte said:

Need some help from the S. Florida folks!  Car needs a new windshield and PDR.  Can anyone recommend a good glass shop and PDR guy?

TIA!

Just saw this. 

I believe your daughter is down in Dade county, I dont know of many places down that way. 

If she feels like driving up to Broward county I had these guys change the windshield on my M3 and was very satisfied:

East Coast Auto Glass

I also had this guy detail a couple of cars for me, he does not do PDR but he worked at Champion Porsche and might know or have a guy that does:

Advance Detailing

Hopefully the links work as I am on my phone. 

I will subscribe to the thread so I get emails when its updated just in case. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/16/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thanks!  I sent them to her

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/18/24 3:51 p.m.

Car went to the local dealer to find out why the horn wasn't working.  Turns out the relay was missing, I have no clue why someone would remove the relay.  They put another relay in and it works.  Still waiting for the second key, after much back and forth with the broker, my sales guy there finally convinced them to let him order it from the dealer he used when he had his service business.  I should have it in a week, which is ridiculous considering the other dealer had it on order for months.  If they actually did order it....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vr9KnJoFryqAQSBFQJ27cEjec1tjcXXppHYMMOUrdshUOmzkUX1O2eryFNcMwB8q