daetelos
daetelos
9/23/18 5:17 p.m.

1997 Audi A4 Quattro 5 speed.  AEB B5 , Sable Mica Metallic. Sunroof. Ecru interior. Heated seats. Original stereo and aftermarket 6-disc changer in the trunk. 

Car is located on my patio in South Florida.

I am the second owner and bought it in 1999.  I drove it for several years with a minor ECU tune, K&N and some Bilstein shocks.

I hate that I have to sell this.  I wanted to make this awesome, but after almost 20 years, I need to move on.  I don’t want to sell it for scrap because there are SO many great parts for the right person.  Unfortunately, at this point, the exterior itself is in pretty rough shape.  There is almost no rust, but paint is faded, and the heat has not been kind.

In 2005 I decided I would pour money in it and try to make the most bad-ass A4 ever.  That was stupid of me.  I tried to do too much at once and I was never able to finish the project.

What you are buying is a ton of parts.  They happen to be attached to a car.  That makes it easier to take all of them at once because you can push the car onto a trailer or a roll-back truck and get everything with one purchase.

The bad: Anything made of plastic inside the car is essentially crumbling as a result of Florida’s horrific heat and sunshine.  For example; I tried to hook up a battery and lower the front windows and all of the regulator plastics fell apart.  I put some blocks of wood in to hold the glass in place and keep water out, but the regulators will need replaced if you want to use them.  Also, the steering wheel, gear shift handle etc. are all rotting as well.  (The airbag is fine – it has been kept separately in storage.)  The tires were new in 2005 and probably only have about 10 miles on them (Like all of the ‘new’ parts in the car) but will likely need replaced.  Same for the brake discs (although you might be OK just hitting them with an abrasive to clean them up).  The weather-stripping is degrading also.  The upholstery is the faux-leather vinyl, so it’s not in terrible condition but still shows wear.

The good: Everything Mechanical has about 10 miles on it. I was able to take a couple of ‘around the block’ test trips driven with an incorrectly programmed ECU, but nothing has ever been under full-load strain. The motor is an AEB engine bored and stroked to 2.0 liter, and built with forged pistons. (the ECU is still programmed for a normal 1.8t APR stage 3 tune, so wouldn’t run the current engine quite right). The head has Bronze-phosphor valve guides. APR Stage 3 Turbo with Inconel manifold.  APR intercooler and intake (ITG filter will need replaced). Insulating intake manifold gasket to keep heat-soak away from intake side. APR stainless exhaust. Front brakes calipers are from Porsche Boxster, on stock discs (so they will fit under smaller diameter wheels – I thought I might rally-cross the car at some point, and smaller tires are cheaper). Kosei TS2 alloys with Avon tires.  LS1 ignition coils. Megasquirt MS3x ECU – (I started to wire it in, but there is a bit of work left to do.  Or else, you will need to replace/rebuild the engine harness and use a different engine management system.)  Wide-band O2 sensor and gauge.

You will also get every possible Audi or performance VW thing I can find in or around my garage. Service manual, notes, spare wire harness, trim pieces, plastic fender liners, car cover.  Literally anything I can find.  I need to make a complete break from the project so I can make room in my life.  It was fun when I was in my late twenties, but as I’ve turned the corner towards 50. I need to move on.  Clean title. Cash or Paypal only - at time of purchase.

I WILL NOT PART-OUT.  It’s an all or nothing deal.

$3500 or make me an offer.  If you prove yourself worthy I will be open to offers.  It’s a lot of ‘junk’ to some, but I would like it all to go to somebody who wants the parts (or whole car) for their project and will enjoy everything!

I should also mention I might consider interesting trades?
Possibly another running/driving car or truck? (sporty and/or interesting preferred)
I might also consider - 25hp to 40hp 20" shaft tiller outboard 4-stroke boat motor?
Or a running boat/motor/trailer?
Partial trade for a nice Snap-On toolbox?
Or if you work in fencing - (I know this is a long shot) - partial trade for privacy fence?
Or??

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
9/26/18 6:54 p.m.

Ok,
So not even a lowball offer?
let's try $2800 OBO  
(by the way, OBO means I will probably sell it for less than $2800.... but make an offer! ;)

The engine build was $5000, the turbo kit was around $5k(I think ?), FMIC, was near a $1000, Exhaust was several hundred $$$, plus the brake calipers, the Megasquirt MS3, the Kosei wheels, the sheet metal, and more and more and more...

Please don't make me call the scrappers!

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
10/1/18 1:27 p.m.

um..  $2200?

Feel free to post something just to give a little feedback or advice??

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/18 8:58 p.m.

E36 M3. If I didn't already have 3 B5S4's on my driveway, I'd be all over this. Oh, and I didn't live (or conversely, you didn't live) 2800 miles away.

You might want to post this on Audizine and VWVortex. There are a coupla other forums with good B5 traffic but they elude me at the moment. Parting it would be the best way to maximize your return but you've be fooling around with E36 M3 for months.

GLWS!

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
10/12/18 11:32 a.m.

Anyone else?

Things like the wheels, exhaust and inter-cooler are non-wear items; they are essentially chunks of metal that are in like-new functional condition and worth WAY more than $2200.  Many other parts on the car are similar (like the exhaust manifold and turbocharger).  They only have a few minutes of non-race, non-abbusive use!

I don't have a place to part out (If I still had a shop I would restore the car myself :(  but I cant have a non-roller on my patio)

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
10/28/18 8:03 p.m.

Spec clutch and aluminum flywheel
Did I mention that before?

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
11/30/18 9:13 p.m.

bump?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/30/18 9:28 p.m.

1200 miles from me makes it rough.. you're priced great, the problem is finding the right buyer..

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
12/9/18 11:35 p.m.

I am so glad you are in Florida. As this would be the thing that would get me divorced for sure. The motor and drive train would go right into my 98 perfectly. Why did I look at the classifieds.crying

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
12/11/18 6:37 p.m.

Just fly down, have a Florida beach vacation and head home with a U-Haul and a trailer wink

Margarittaville is just down the street!

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
2/24/19 4:18 p.m.

Bump

Tempt me with interesting trades to make this your $2019 Challenge car?? 

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
4/15/19 8:28 p.m.

How about you write a little story about how you can make your car (or this car) awesome; plus a few bucks... (offer plus story?)

I would love to see a classic water-cooled VW/Audi product in the 2019 Challange...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/19 8:33 p.m.

You could buy my 04 A4 1.8T Quattro that's a perfectly running all-OE car with a nice exterior and interior and start swapping your stuff onto it to make your dream come true...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/19 8:55 p.m.

how about i tempt you with the opportunity to be part of AngryCorvair's triumphant return to the Challenge after a 10-year absence?  i need an Audi transaxle / clutch / etc to realize my mid-engine/RWD V8 Corvair dream.  Much like Carl the Assistant Greenskeeper's encounter with the Dali Lama, i won't offer you money.   but on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness.  so you'll have that going for you, which is nice.

slomaro2
slomaro2 New Reader
4/28/19 4:08 p.m.

Dumb question, but what would it take to make this road worthy? 

Best, 

BJ 

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
4/30/19 8:15 p.m.

In reply to slomaro2 :

Primarily, it would need a functional engine management system.  Either complete my MS3X installation, or put back an original harness (I have most/many/all? parts and connectors) and flash a factory ECU (which is probably what I should have done...)

At this point, it might also need fluids changed.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/1/19 5:09 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

gunga galunga! 

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
5/1/19 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

If I had a place to work on it I'd be tempted.

A lot of engineering differences to overcome between 1998 and 2004 too.

But thank you for the suggestion!

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
5/1/19 6:34 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Pool and a pond.  Pond would be good for you.

So - you're in Michigan?  Walk me through your plan...

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/8/19 1:27 p.m.

PM'd for info

daetelos
daetelos New Reader
5/18/19 7:31 p.m.

In reply to mtnbiker4evr13 :

Never got a PM

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/19 8:06 p.m.

Hummm. I have a plan but you would have to take less than $2019 for it. I need to talk to another board member first. 

Does car transportation costs go against the challenge budget?  I will have to have it shipped from you to me up here in MA  

MO30 and I were looking for just this type of car for a potential challenge appearance. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/19 9:43 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It's now the $2000 Challenge and shipping wouldn't count against you. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 11:01 p.m.

I am very interested I this. I will pm you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lClElVrAGsFlpiU0Ddhf1ILEg3WNS70dpDvN8cJhpq3hlDFNCR3hHDyI2qd55ruQ