1 2
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/3/20 8:24 p.m.

So I decided to buy a full size truck.  I ended up picking up a one owner 2005 Titan 4x4 Crew Cab last week.  Since the Titan will be fulfilling truck / off road duty the 4runner will be looking for a new home.

It is a mint 4x4 1999 Highlander edition with the optional e locker and rare 5 speed manual transmission.  There is no rust, and it is mostly stock other than a set of Tundra big brakes, a heated leather interior and some additional sound deadening.  It has a set of Goodyear duratracs on the factory wheels.

I have had it for approximately 2 years and it has been as reliable as you would expect a 3rd generation 4runner to be.  Its timing belt and water pump are about 25k miles old.  It has 227k miles on as of now and will go up as I drive it.

I bought it from USAA, it had a dent in the left fender and the left front door.  I replaced both with factory green painted parts from a different 1999 4runner.  I have tons of pictures documenting this.  Due to this damage it has a rebuilt title.  I didn't care especially given the trucks condition and the rarity of the stick shift 4x4 v6 with a locker.

I have a bunch more pictures if anyone wants them.

I will sell it for $6900 to a GRM'ER, which is a good price considering what these things go for elsewhere and its condition.  It needs nothing and is located in Jacksonville Florida.  Title is in my name.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/3/20 8:35 p.m.

I can think of a dozen rational reasons why I don't want or need a truck, but I still want this a lot. GLWS.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/3/20 8:37 p.m.

I'm super surprised you're letting this one go.  

Then, I am jealous and interested in the new truck.  I have had the idea of a 4wd, 4dr Nissan Titan in my sites lately.  So, let me be the first in line when you sell the Titan.

I have been considering offloading my Ford Super Duty, 2wd, single cab and offloading my Montero, 4wd, 4dr and replacing them both with a 4wd, 4dr Titan.  Does your (our) Titan have the towing package?  If yes, it will have a trans temp gauge as well as have larger outside mirrors.  Does the Titan have the bed with the cargo tie down hooks and the rear fender storage compartment?  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/3/20 9:06 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those vehicles I regret selling, not to mention it will be impossible to replace ie; find another one...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 9:32 p.m.

Couple of questions 

does it have any maintenance records ? 
was water pump , and all pulleys changes at time of timing belt ? 

did the air bag blow? (That's a non oem wheel)

clutch replaced? 

ia the paint fades anywhere ? On roof ? 

Oil leaks/ oil burning ? 

all windows work and ac is cold ? 

does it have moonroof ? 

any undercarriage pics ? 

roof pics ? 

Smoker? 

pets? 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/3/20 9:47 p.m.

Same questions as above. My duder and I are looking for a 4Runner of exactly this spec for his camping car.  Could be a kickass fly and drive from California.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/4/20 6:32 a.m.

Thirded with those same questions. Also full set of keys, keyless entry?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/4/20 6:41 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Couple of questions 

does it have any maintenance records ? 
was water pump , and all pulleys changes at time of timing belt ? 

did the air bag blow? (That's a non oem wheel)

clutch replaced? 

ia the paint fades anywhere ? On roof ? 

Oil leaks/ oil burning ? 

all windows work and ac is cold ? 

does it have moonroof ? 

any undercarriage pics ? 

roof pics ? 

Smoker? 

pets? 

Timing Belt:

There is a Toyota sticker under the hood indicating that the timing belt was replaced at 194,841 miles, I can't imagine a situation where someone would only replace the belt, but it was before my time with the truck and I don't have a receipt.

Airbag:

The factory wheel had a small tear in the leather at the 12 o clock position.  I liked the Celica wheel in my MR2 and figured it would look cool in the 4runner so I installed this one.  I am pretty sure I still have both the original wheel and the air bag in my attic.  I will include them with the sale.

Clutch replaced:

I don't know.  It grips well and has never slipped or done anything unusual, even when I have used the truck to pull my boat or a trailer.

Paint fade:

Roof and hood were both repainted shortly after I got the truck.  The hood had a couple of spots that were starting to fade and the roof had a spot in front of the sunroof where the clear coat was getting white.  They obviously look perfect now, I will get some pictures when I get home from work.  It was dark this morning when I left.

Oil leaks:

It had a leak from the power steering pump but I had it replaced about 6 months ago.  The valve covers are leaking ever so slightly.  I have the gaskets but have not had a chance to install them yet.  If someone is going to do a fly and drive I will install them before the truck is picked up.  It doesn't burn any oil.

Windows / AC:

A/C is Ice cold and does not leak.  All the windows including the rear hatch work perfectly. So does the sunroof.  The truck has factory keyless entry and it works correctly as well.  When it is hot the lock actuators are slow, but they always work the first try.  

Undercarriage / roof pictures:

Truck is from south Georgia so no rust.  I will get some undercarriage and roof pictures when I get home.

Smoker / pets:

Truck does not have any funny odors.

I will post up the pictures I have and will take some more when I get home.  I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.  If anyone has any more specific question let  me know.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/4/20 6:44 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Thirded with those same questions. Also full set of keys, keyless entry?

Keyless entry.  Two remotes two keys.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/4/20 7:25 a.m.

Does this have a factory air locker like a Montero, or is it some other way of locking the rear diff? Is the locker only functional in 4wd?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/4/20 7:41 a.m.

It is an electric locker like a Jeep Rubicon.  I think it will work in 2wd, I have never tried it without being in 4wd, but it should be easy enough to figure out. 

Keep in mind when it is locked it is like a spool so both wheels spin at the same speed so you can only do it off road.  It would not be good on pavement.

Here is a link I found to the description of what exactly a highlander edition is.

Highlander Edition 4runner explanation

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/4/20 8:27 a.m.

Sent you an email, this could be a great truck for my daughter

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 8:29 a.m.
02Pilot said:

I can think of a dozen rational reasons why I don't want or need a truck, but I still want this a lot. GLWS.

What he said. frown

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/4/20 8:59 a.m.

thats a dream truck for many.. I think your price is low.. post on Expedition Portal and sell it for $10k..

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/4/20 9:14 a.m.

I posted it on the 4runner forums and facebook for $9,500.00.  I am showing GRM some love.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 9:20 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

thats a dream truck for many.. I think your price is low.. post on Expedition Portal and sell it for $10k..

no kidding.

My best friend in college dated a girl who had one of these (very similar truck, MT, green on tan, etc - not sure hers had the electronic locker) it was her dad's truck and he had passed away young. The family is Jewish and her dad called the truck the Jew Canoe. So of course we all loved to ride in the Jew Canoe. She didn't ever let anyone else drive it though (SMART). 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 9:45 a.m.

Thank you for the answers

Can you provide contact info  ?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/4/20 10:09 a.m.

Shoot me a message through the forum and I will reply with my phone number.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/4/20 10:12 a.m.

If I lived in a No salt state, I would buy.. but I don't and I can't bring myself to make it come to Minnesota and die.. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/4/20 10:43 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I too think your price is too low.  And, as you wrote above, you'll never see another.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/4/20 10:56 a.m.

Sent a PM.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 12:01 p.m.

Excellent value for the money, there. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 12:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

Agreed.

For me the only hangup is the rebuilt title. In CA, it will be branded "salvaged" and that takes a super dump on the value. I had a Salvage Master Ace Surf Toyota Van, 1989, and it took me a year to sell it. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 12:20 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Agreed.

For me the only hangup is the rebuilt title. In CA, it will be branded "salvaged" and that takes a super dump on the value. I had a Salvage Master Ace Surf Toyota Van, 1989, and it took me a year to sell it. 

A branded title only matters if you plan on selling it again.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 12:30 p.m.

A branded title only matters if you plan on selling it again.

Given I can't seem to keep anything longer than a year, its a very real possibility.... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gIZ0JLMSOhHzsvUOscsr5u8Yr6z2nHDvGRMfRj4qlyRY3lsDxlzer8s7o20u547c