1 2
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/22/21 2:09 p.m.

This is the Legacy GT wagon that was posted up here a few weeks ago.  Here is the for sale thread from GRM member tb....

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/fs-my-2005-subaru-legacy-gt-wagon-auto-runs-but-needs-work-1k/188586/page1/

I bought it from him and picked it up last week.  He is an outstanding and stand up guy.  I hit the road and started heading from Philly to Atlanta.  In Virginia, I ran into a problem.  I first got an ABS warning light and error code on the dash.  A minute later I smelled smoke and immediately pulled over.  The right rear wheel was smoking.  The brake pad had clearly been chewed up and the tire was wiped out (bald as bald gets).  I rented a U-Haul and car transport trailer and towed it the rest of the way to GA.  The car will move but is clearly dragging.  It's at the shop where my son works, and I'm waiting for the final diagnosis.  It's going to need a tire, brake pad/rotor and probably wheel speed sensor.  I bought the car with the intention of giving it to my boys.  I still think it could wind up being a good car for them, but I'm kind of thinking I bought this car a bit too impulsively.  

I wanted to throw this back into the GRM community.  I paid $1000 for the car and a few hundred bucks to bring it back home via U-Haul.  I also want to be 100% crystal clear in saying THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION ON GRM MEMBER TB WHATSOEVER.  He had no idea this issue was going to happen.  It's also not a catastrophic failure, but I'm rethinking if I want to get into this too far.

Make me an offer, but don't hurt me to bad.  One thing is that is necessary though....I need the car gone ASAP.  I don't want it hanging out at my son's shop.  I can bring it back to my house, but if I'm not going to fix it then I'd have to tow it, which I'd prefer not to do.

Respond here or feel free to text me at 6 one oh, 2 1 three, 8 one 9 five

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/21 2:27 p.m.

Brakes and tires are Challenge exempt. Just saying.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/22/21 2:50 p.m.

sent you a text

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/21 2:59 p.m.

So, what happened? Brake pad wore to backing plate and ejected itself into wheel/tire/abs sensor? Kitten got stuck in wheelwell at a truckstop?

12/22/21 3:12 p.m.
iansane said:

So, what happened? Brake pad wore to backing plate and ejected itself into wheel/tire/abs sensor? Kitten got stuck in wheelwell at a truckstop?

I'm not really sure. I'm kind of wondering if it's something I could have or should have caught earlier. The drive seemed to be going okay. I did notice that my gas mileage was much worse than I thought it should be, but I didn't think a lot of it. Given that the tire is bald all the way around, maybe it was slightly dragging?  I'm waiting for the shop to call me, but I'm not sure if a caliper froze first, or maybe a wheel bearing went bad?

It wasn't the kitten. I already had that tied securely to the roof rack.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/22/21 3:14 p.m.

Where is it in GA?

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Better than being tied the rear bumper, I suppose.

12/22/21 3:25 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Where is it in GA?

It's in Kennesaw, which is about 20 miles north of the city.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/22/21 3:57 p.m.

Did I beat you up too bad with my offer?  Also, have you had a chance to look at the underside?  How rusty is it?

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/21 4:08 p.m.

Are you planning on fixing/having the shop fix what ails it, other than a new tire? Will it be otherwise good to drive back up north?

Given Subarus' need for all four corners matching, what kind of brand/tread depth are the other three- like would it be worth having TireRack shave down a new one or just put four new ones on it? I have four new 205/55/16s, but packing them on a plane could get expensive.

I ended up picking up an AWD Jag X-Type I don't want, and it hasn't yet sold so I'm fixing up the suspension to sell it, so getting the Mrs' approval for new purchase is going to get tricky. If you wanted to work out a trade, that would make the whole effort considerably easier. Well, other than the 24s hours of driving...
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/mmta-2003-5-spd-jaaag-x-type/187952/page1/

12/22/21 5:07 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Did I beat you up too bad with my offer?  Also, have you had a chance to look at the underside?  How rusty is it?

No pain, no gain...LOL.  It's not really rusty underneath.  We can chat offline.

I will get the tire info from the shop shortly.  They were nice tires as I recall.  Perhaps tb will chime in if he remembers what they are.  There is a spare set of rims with snow tires that could be put on in the short term as needed.  I wasn't planning on fixing it for the price I'm asking.  If I do fix it, I'll probably put it on CL as I'm sure I can get a decent number for it.  However, I'd rather it stay within GRM.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/22/21 5:21 p.m.

Guys I'm out. Next in line.

What broke me, is the car's requirement for premium gas, not any new information.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/22/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Buy it, Have SKJSS, (Klayfish)'s son's shop quote the repairs, pay the repair bill, fly in and drive it home.

Win

P3PPY
12/22/21 7:11 p.m.

Yeah man shoot me a quote!

--and/or if you're looking for a car for the kids and consider a trade, we will be about even by the time yours is fixed, meet halfway?

Or some variation thereofs

P3PPY
12/22/21 8:50 p.m.

PMed you, SKJSS

12/22/21 9:05 p.m.
P3PPY said:

PMed you, SKJSS

Didn't seem to come through.  SKJSS0307 at the gmails

12/24/21 9:29 a.m.

Just a quick update.  A few people have asked me about getting a quote from the shop where the car is now.  As I mentioned, it's at the shop where my son works.  They specialize in tuning/building high end Dodge and Ford...think Hellcat, GT500, GT40.  Therefore the Subie isn't high on the list.  I know they have it inside and have taken a peek at it, but I don't have the final diagnosis from them yet.  I am going to follow up with them on Monday to see if they can give me a ballpark.  I don't want to be rude or pushy, since that's my boys' employer...and a teenagers dream job.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
12/27/21 9:40 a.m.

I'd still buy it if you hadn't dragged it all the way down to Georgia!  Oh well.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
12/27/21 4:10 p.m.

I pm'ed you. It bounced back. I'm local and would like to look at your car.

12/27/21 5:56 p.m.

Gone

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/27/21 7:58 p.m.

Did clownkiller grab it?

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
12/27/21 8:45 p.m.

No I didnt get the subaru.  I had cash and my trailer hooked up ready to pick it up....

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
12/27/21 8:49 p.m.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
12/27/21 8:52 p.m.
clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
12/27/21 9:09 p.m.

It might be hard to get emissions in Georgia. With a WRX catless up pipe
and Cobb Downpipe and a tune it probably wouldn't pass. 

Hopefully an open title wasn't given. I'm always concerned a cash buyer will crash and walk with limited ties to the car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ta81yotmSqRYjHfXyKNmDtbvVakFmUZNOWXXrbXaxvihT9rF1n1N8kiXD6pPVVKc