1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/12/21 11:35 p.m.
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/13/21 12:14 a.m.

Probably 25 years ago I was thumbing through an issue of Cars and Crafts that had an artists drawing of a "Boss Maverick"

Loved the look of it, I've always thought a hopped up Maverick with a 351 swap would be great fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/21 4:03 a.m.

Yellow, from the Cars that need to be built right now. The artist was Murray Praft, or something like it. Every time a Mav comes up in conversation, that's the car I think of. What if Nissan built it instead of Ford, we might have gotten ones like this:

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/13/21 7:51 a.m.
ShawnG said:I've always thought a hopped up Maverick with a 351 swap would be great fun.

I did my apprenticeship while these were still on the road and working their way through the used car lots that were responsible for most of the work we did.

I always thought the world would have been a better place if they never existed cheeky

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/21 8:02 a.m.

Mavericks are the most Australian looking of all American cars.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/13/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I feel the same way about K-platform Chrysler products.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/13/21 10:25 a.m.

What's the hive think of the price they're asking?  I'm not interested in buying this (or any other Maverick) but it's an interesting canvas to work with, so to speak.  

Could be a cool project with the right scope.  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/13/21 12:09 p.m.

My dad had one of these with a 302 and he says he once did a burnout for like 30 seconds and the car didn't even move forward an inch. His brother who was with him thought something broke because the car wasn't moving but my dad was like nah, we're just doing that good of a burnout.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/21 12:09 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Probably 25 years ago I was thumbing through an issue of Cars and Crafts that had an artists drawing of a "Boss Maverick"

Loved the look of it, I've always thought a hopped up Maverick with a 351 swap would be great fun.

My daughter had a '76 with a 302. Stupid fast car when it wasn't broke down. She sold it shortly after I had to tow it 300 miles home and she had to spend the night in a cheap motel waiting for me to get there. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
1/13/21 12:29 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Yellow, from the Cars that need to be built right now. The artist was Murray Praft, or something like it. Every time a Mav comes up in conversation, that's the car I think of. What if Nissan built it instead of Ford, we might have gotten ones like this:

Never been interested in a maverick before but good lord man

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/13/21 12:30 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What's the hive think of the price they're asking?  I'm not interested in buying this (or any other Maverick) but it's an interesting canvas to work with, so to speak.  

Could be a cool project with the right scope.  

Inline six with a messed up interior, automatic, and a crumpled nose?  $1000 if it ran properly.

It is a dealership type place though, so it makes some sense.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
1/13/21 2:01 p.m.

I don't know if I personally would care if it ran.  I'd put rust way way over running in the priorities list as I think, if this was my project, I'd throw the entire driveline away and start looking for a 302/T5 combination.

I'd still rather build a Capri but I think these are cool in their own way and a nice change from the usual Mustangs of that era.  Way cooler than an M-II.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/21 7:23 p.m.

Kinda want to "Mad Max" this thing.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
1/15/21 8:36 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That's Sung Kangs Maverick.  He basically did something similar with a 240z before this project.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/15/21 10:21 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/kissimmee-1976-ford-maverick/7259457789.html

Yeah, that's sexy.

I could not tell if that was sarcasm, or sincere. surprise

Being hardcore into Falcon's and Comet's when the Maverick came out, I never really did warm up to the look of them! a couple of friends have done up some rather nice ones along the way, though, and I wouldn't turn down a decent bodied one if I could afford one, Lot of potential in that one, but to high of a starting point for an ol' broke (money and body!) hot rodder like me.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/21 10:27 p.m.

Does the 5.0 and t5 just drop into these?  

Hope much do they weigh? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/15/21 10:30 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

They came with SBF's stock, I don't remember what manual trans they had, but they could fit a C4 so a T5 shouldn't be an issue.

Just shy of 3000lbs?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
1/15/21 10:58 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

These are a 1st cousin to the early '60s Falcon.  There should be lots of cross-pollination possible between the Falcon, Mustang, and some other platform mates.

There have been a lot of cool project Mavericks out there over the years but they still seem pretty affordable vs. Mustangs.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/15/21 11:00 p.m.

I think you can even do a big block if you cut and section the shock towers properly.  Mustang II suspension up front would probably be an easier fix though.

I'd love to see one at the Challenge.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/15/21 11:19 p.m.

A friend in high school (late 70's) "plated" the shock towers to fit his 351W in. Still has that car! wish I had my old HS car, still.

pres589 (djronnebaum):

More like 2nd or third cousin, I think, although I have not tried swapping parts my self. I thing they changed parts more from year differences than anything else! Def. the same style construction.

A lot of Granada based parts fit... another friend built a nice one in the mid 2000's with Granada discs up front, and Versallis disc / 9" in back. 300 hp 302/c4. nice combo of performance/economy.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/15/21 11:25 p.m.

Also, for a good cosplay at the Challenge, Duke in Fear and Loathing starts off driving a Maverick.

How he got a Maverick looking that badly in only 1-2 years of ownership is a mystery though.

IMCDb.org: 1970 Ford Maverick in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1998"

pres589 (djronnebaum)
1/16/21 10:55 a.m.

This page shows some lists of interchangable parts between 1st gen Mustangs and Mavericks;

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/ford-maverick-parts

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/21 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Was hoping it be lighter

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/16/21 11:27 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:
Appleseed said:

Never been interested in a maverick before but good lord man

I, too, did not realize that I liked these cars until just now. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/21 11:29 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Over time nature lightened them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBysUFZrO8novzv1FA72RqhitcSiuGvHkkEhBYPnCKLrw54oDzCFV3lH3uufSlZz