budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
2/16/24 5:55 p.m.

Hello everyone, I've had this bike posted for sale on the local FB marketplace for a while and all I get is people wanting to trade me crappy dirtbikes or DR650s, so i'm listing it here. I've owned this bike for a couple of years now, but with a wife who worries about me riding and a longer winter season that I once had, it's time to sell. I'm also trying to buy an old muscle car to work on, so this would help fund that.

2000 Harley-Davidson Sportster Custom (I think it was originally a custom, not 100% sure). I bought it from a guy in 2019 and it was bone-stock with about 14,000 miles. I always wanted a tracker, so I tore it down and started building it back up. I converted it to 7/8 controls so I could use dirtbike stuff, added a fiberglass tail section (and raised the seating position about 3" compared to stock to go with it). I also added a 1250cc big bore kit from Hammer performance about 200 miles ago and re-geared it to 1200 sportster gearing to get the RPMs down a bit (stock 883 gearing is a little buzzy at speeds over 60). it's fully wired for turn signals, has a functioning horn/headlight/brake light, and should be street legal in most jurisdictions AFAIK. I'm not really sure how to price this, and I'm expecting to take a little bit of a loss due to the high degree of customization, but i'd love not to totally lose my shirt on it. Asking $4200

Also featuring:

S&S Air Cleaner

2k clear over paint (gasoline/UV resistant clearcoat)

2-1 exhaust

Metzeler 888 tires with <1000 miles

I'm located in Knoxville, TN and would be happy to meet or answer any questions. Thanks!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/16/24 6:31 p.m.

Not going to lie if you were in California that would sell instantly. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/24 6:43 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Not going to lie if you were in California that would sell instantly. 

Yeah, to me probably. And I need another bike like a hole in the head. But this would sell here pretty berkeleyin' quick.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
2/16/24 7:17 p.m.

Well i'm glad somebody appreciates it. I haven't even gotten any offers for 50% of listing price...hopefully when the weather gets a little better folks will get interested

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
2/16/24 7:51 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Let me know if you get a wild tear and want to meet me halfway

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/17/24 12:15 a.m.

As an ol' chopper guy, I'd get a nose bleed , if I tried to ride something that tall! But I do like the 'tracker look, on a sporty. And that's an excellent one!

No help on the sale, but I feel for ya on trying to deal with citizens these days!

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/26/24 9:41 p.m.

Bump? In case anyone is interested, I lowered the price to $3400 in my local listings. I have gotten basically 0 interest outside of lowballers. Am i asking too much?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/24 11:40 p.m.

No, you are not asking too much. I'd suggest Craigs, AdvRider, and Auto Trader (Cycle Trader). Maybe even eBay.

And, NO, I'm not going to do a fly and ride. Or drive halfway across the country...

Wish I could, tho... it's a nice lookin' ride.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
5/1/24 11:53 a.m.

I might just be holding on to this one, i am getting ZERO legitimate interest on it.

I'm thinking about trying to figure out a removble subframe for it, so i can put long forks and a regular fender on it and try it as a chopper

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
5/1/24 12:37 p.m.
budget_bandit said:

I might just be holding on to this one, i am getting ZERO legitimate interest on it.

I'm thinking about trying to figure out a removble subframe for it, so i can put long forks and a regular fender on it and try it as a chopper

Ended up with my buddy's dad's very nice 07 Sportster for $2k because he was getting exactly zero legitimate interest at $4500, which even that was probably going to be a decent loss for him. He finally got sick of it and I got the call as the resident "he'll buy anything if it's a deal" guy. 

Market is just saturated, I guess?

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/10/24 9:10 p.m.

I've dropped the listing price to $2600 locally and still getting ZERO legitimate interest. I just need this thing gone so I can afford to put an LS in my Ventura

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/12/24 8:40 a.m.

I'd make a good deal for a GRM'mer, if anyone is interested. Motivated to sell

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/12/24 2:06 p.m.

If you were local to Phoenix I'd buy this just for no good reason other than to try a new ride. That seems like a MORE than reasonable price. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/24 2:14 p.m.

I'm not in the market for a Sporty but this would be gone in a day in Milwaukee with the Homecoming event coming up quick this summer.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/13/24 8:20 a.m.

people frustrate me. when i had it listed for 4200, the lowball offers were "$2500, cash". now that i have it listed for 2600, the lowball offers are now "$1600, cash".

also, i have never been able to figure out why people include "cash", as if they get a discount for paying with....money?

gsettle
gsettle Reader
6/13/24 8:36 a.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

When I'm buying or selling something, I specify cash only because I don't use paypal or vinmo or any of the others.

Cash is still king.

Nice bike, hard to believe it's not sold at that price!

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/13/24 5:07 p.m.

Well, sold it to a nice young kid this afternoon. Sold it for less than i cumulatively have in it, but ce'est la vie. It needed to be gone

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nxmwc4Hsk6wD0YOMtqqgDqnQ1357RBE9BDZkLrLDGFOIz47qZE5MQEPVCDgm2qq2