irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/23 11:07 p.m.

I'm kind of running out of motivation for this project and have too many other cars that need stuff done on, so seeing if anyone with more motivation wants to take it across the finish line. I have an extensive build thread here on GRM where I document literally everything, but here's the basics. Right up front, no idea what to ask for it. Crappy e30s seem to be at $4-5k on marketplace these days, but this car is some combination of crappy and really nice, depending on what part you look at. So if you're interested, we can discuss.......I'm not trying to fleece anyone, this isn't "I know what I have" stuff lol.  Just want it to move on to a good home. 

1984 (first year) e30 coupe. This is an early base-model car, which means it has manual windows (work), manual sunroof (works great and doesn't leak), and is, I assume, the lightest e30 sold in this country, period. It was originally an M10 car, but I swapped in an M42, refreshed it a bit, added Dinan coil-on-plug (COP) setup, and it has a G240 transmission. Aluminum e36 radiator and M20 expansion tank (this is the same setup my rally car uses, and it works great). New Spal (I think ) electric puller fan. Has an M20  single-mass flywheel and brand-new clutch, with M20 starter. Otherwise the engine bay is more or less stock. AC stuff is mostly there but doesn't work. The engine will fire, and has good compression, but I haven't really run much it since it has no exhaust beyond the Y-pipe - so that would need to be bought/built. Probably a few other things mechanically to finish up, but nothing big.  Driveshaft has good U-joints and a new CSB. 

Has an LSD rear end (4.10, I think, but might be a 3.91). It has an ebay long-handle short-shifter. Condor Speed Shop exclusive motor and trans mounts (the nice ones!). I have a couple old nasty axles there just to hold the wheels on but they need replacing for sure. Also swapped in reinforced front subframe, and full 325i hubs and brakes (vented discs up front replacing the 318 solids, and discs rear replacing drums). Brand-new fuel and brake lines everywhere. Gas tank is CLEAN in and out, with no rust at all. Fuel pumps both work fine. 

Suspension is my old rally setup, so it has Bilstein HD front with ground control-style coilover collars. Rear are Bilsteins with (IIRC) 325i stock springs. Almost the entire suspension has new parts - tie rods, bushings, balljoints, wheel bearings, upper mounts, etc.  and 325i swaybars. Should handle well and can also handle gravel/fire roads, etc. 

Wheels: Right now it's sitting on OEM 15" Euroweaves....VERY rare here in the US. They're painted but a bit chipped, but otherwise in pretty good shape. Tires are nice BFG all-seasons with maybe 5k miles on them, they basically look new.  Depending on price I'll sell the wheels, or can sell it on bottlecaps with good snow tires, or bring your own wheels...

Interior is totally re-done. Dash had one crack in it (filled and sanded) and the dash is flocked black and looks awesome. It has some cheap new carpeting in it, installed pretty half-assed by me but looks decent. center console and rear deck I upholstered with plaid.....it all looks pretty cool (IMO), with a nice matching (real) leather redlinegoods shift boot from Europe. The door cards are original and kinda worn - would look good replaced with black ones. Has an Alpine CD player that works, but I think a couple speakers are missing. Rear seat is a nice-condition perforated original, and fronts are e92 1-series sport seats with WORKING power (I tricked the CANBUS controller), which are near-mint and really, really nice - way better than any e30 seat out there! Has a kind of worn M-tech steering wheel. Needs one window handle, IIRC.  Glove box handle is broken. 

Body - when I bought it this car had a LOT of rust. I spent a full winter cutting it all out and replacing it with clean metal (mostly from an old Mitsubishi hood) and there's pretty much no rust anywhere at this point, though a few parts of the body aren't perfect. The exterior is rattle-canned in a Satin beige color that looks pretty cool. All the chrome is blacked out with vinyl tape and/or paint. Glass is all in good shape, lights are all in good shape. Needs a few trim pieces here and there, new badges, and other minor stuff. It's not a car show car but would be cool for rallycross, for general adventuring, etc. 

Electrical - mostly all good, but needs a handful of things hooked up or rewired. Everything worked when I got the car though, sicne it was street-registered.  Not positive about gauge cluster functionality, probably needs a new circuit board battery.  I have a battery for the car that seems ok but it's pretty old and probably needs replacing sooner than later. 

That mostly covers it - I mean, it's a project car that I basically resurrected from being a complete basket case. Still has some stuff to do, but mostly fairly easy stuff that shouldn't be too hard. Check out the build thread to see how it started and how it's going, details, etc.  It's been a fun project that I basically got because I was bored and wanted something to do.....but just ready to move on (and get my garage space back for my other car projects), plus I really have no use for it once complete, frankly.  I thought my daughter (about to turn 16) might like it, but she doesn't seem interested....lol. 

I have the title (though it's still in the previous owner's name...he's a friend of mine in case you want to talk to him lol). 

Complete build thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-oldest-lightest-slowest-e30-not-an-e30-rally-build-this-time-just-a-budget-build/187776/page1/

May be an image of text

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
8/25/23 11:04 a.m.

Wow, I'd love to have this but it's too far for me to tow  home & looks like it needs too much for fly-and-drive.  GLWS.  

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/1/23 10:33 a.m.

Wish this was closer.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/1/23 10:59 a.m.

Good luck with the sale Irish. If you sell your Montero, hit me up.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/23 12:26 p.m.

Hnng.

9/1/23 11:41 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Good luck with the sale Irish. If you sell your Montero, hit me up.

hah, unlike this e30 (which I would have no purpose for even if finished), the Raider gets a lot of use! I don't foresee that one being sold in the conceivable future lol. I like it too much :)

9/1/23 11:41 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Hnng.

No, you can't pay in quarters ;)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/23 12:04 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Haha!

A guy I am working with offered to sell me his car today.  A true unicorn: a stock Evo IX.

At a price, looking at my recent pay stubs, I may bite on.  More than your BMW but less than a GTS-T.

I'd feel bad that he would see someone else driving his old car, though.  Speaking of which, Charles is going to get to see his old car this weekend, although from the sounds of it there will be two heats: Mod and Everyone Else, and both of us are in Prepared.

9/6/23 11:26 p.m.

Bump. Can also discuss cheaper price depending on things like

- if you just want ti with bottlecaps (and decent snow tires) rather than the Euroweaves 

- if you have some OEM-type front suspension to throw on there and I'll keep the rallycross setup as my spare

- if you have a 3.73LSD as partial trade (and/or your own LSD and I'll keep the one that's current in there since it's my rally spare). 

- if you're going to finish it, enjoy it, etc.....

All in all, very flexible on price, it's not doing me much good sitting here so if you're interested, shoot me an email with an offer!

Docwemple
Docwemple HalfDork
9/7/23 12:35 a.m.

FWIW, I don't recall seeing a price 

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
9/7/23 1:52 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Hnng.

No, you can't pay in quarters ;)

9/7/23 4:27 p.m.
Docwemple said:

FWIW, I don't recall seeing a price 

I didn't really put one because I have no idea what it's worth to someone. I mean, probably was thinking in the $3-4k ballpark "as-is" but with this car, as noted, everything is up for bargaining/discussion - especially to GRM folks, and especially if certain parts do or don't go with it. 

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
9/9/23 1:40 a.m.

devil

9/10/23 7:15 p.m.

And just like that, this project moves on to another GRM member. ^^^^

Special delivery today, and as part of the deal there must be a continuation of either this thread or a new thread that documents the rest of the build, which I can assure you will include some unconventional stuff far more interesting than anything I did :)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Congrats on the sale and the continuation.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/10/23 8:05 p.m.

If its local south of you working on unloading a bunch of e30 parts after selling mine earlier. LMK if new owner comes around RVA.

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
9/11/23 1:14 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

why yes, I make my way down there periodically laugh

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/11/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to ralleah :

Shot ya a PM - lmk if it went through or feel free to email at my username @yahoo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EXSQDDKY4bQyFVS1yDfOMCJn96EzCzsBE39uLyMcvxi2WKlV9YqXCU6aVmuPbDOP