Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/1/24 7:30 p.m.

Remember the GRM free Europa that bounced around for a while until Machinenbau worked his magic?  Well, this is the Locost version of that. 

I bought this in mid 2013, and from what I can tell I am the 4th GRM forum owner.  Here's the whole history:

Original for sale post, by Apis_Mellifera:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/fs-stalled-locost-and-mgb-gt/49827/page1/

Foxtrapper bought it, then promptly sold it to Flyinlow, who then sold it to me:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/fs-stalled-locost-project/57577/page1/

I had big hopes for this, and would still keep it, but I bought the CMC Locost project that Keith posted last week, which is basically complete, and I don't need two. 

Here's what you get: 

- Locost frame, standard book dimensions, setup for a Miata based IRS rear end, and Miata uprights in the front.  Custom control arms, not Miata pieces or subframes.  Frame is all fully welded, suspension is made and attached but needs finish welding and other finishing.  There is surface rust as it was left outside for a rainstorm before I got it.  The frame and all parts have been indoors for the entirety of my time with it.

-Mechanicals from a 52k mile 1996 Miata.  Including complete engine, transmission, driveshaft, steering rack and column, etc. I got the car with an open rear end, I have exchanged that for a stock Torsen at some point

-Tub of Miata bits: all from that same miata, including a complete car wiring harness with labels on the plugs, ECU, gauge cluster, pedals, brake and clutch master, MAF, e brake cables, brake calipers (attached to the uprights), and probably more. 

-Fiberglass nose cone

-Title for the 96 Miata donor car to prove it is not stolen

-4 rough Miata dasies with junk tires to hold the car up and make it easy to move around

There is no title, this is home made.  There will be a bill of sale listing the parts.   The one potential change here is that if my new to me locost does not have a torsen then I will want to keep that, and we can adjust the price accordingly.

I'm asking $2k.  I paid less 11 years ago, but upgraded the diff, plus time.  This seems to be less than what the Miata parts alone are worth based on the low miles, and I want to pass along the good deal here on the forum.  I won't separate the Miata parts unless someone buys the frame first and doesn't want them. The frame is decent and I don't want to see it scrapped.  You can reach me at abbottcd at the g mailing place, or use the link to contact me through the forum, or text me: five-oh 8, fiver sixtysix, 65fourfiver. 

Located in Birdsboro PA (southeast corner, just east of Reading).  This should fit on a utility trailer if 5' wide.  If you happen to be between here and Pittsburgh, or want to meet in Pittsburgh, I am going with an open trailer to pick up the other Locost there this weekend.    

Pics, look at the link for a shared drive, but here are some samples.  I'm happy to take whatever other pictures or measurements you might like.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1KdrMN-ztZH6pJH_cUKl0Tu0ChxfJ_4ZM 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
10/1/24 7:34 p.m.

Ah, memories.  I've realized I won't finish a project like this until I'm not working 60-70 hours a week.

Can you put me in line for the finished Locost if you ever decide to sell it? ;)

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
10/1/24 8:13 p.m.

Interested in a Volvo 240 wagon at all? I have an ok one I was thinking about getting rid of. Pm me if you are interested.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/1/24 9:07 p.m.

First of all, let me know if you'd like me to delete this as I don't want to intrude on your sale thread.  But if it might help you find a buyer, i am local to you and have rear fenders, scuttle, windshield kit and i think a slightly different nose cone, all from Kinetic. The first 3 are parts that your buyer would presumably need to finish the build.  They could save a lot of money getting it all in one trip instead of paying shipping on the large fiberglass stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9hOCsyoQsVqW2OQoXJMJmxTqrYyExrHt6T43m5U2dKJ1ohTMtMZVwvwZftmUaZhX