1 2 3
James_D
James_D Reader
5/14/24 3:28 p.m.

Hi all, 

Reposting the vehicle from the title as I purchased a new to me car and have this ready to sell. Previously (about 2 months ago) was listed as a trade.

Vehicle is a 1999 4Runner with 3.4 V6, 5 Speed, 4x4, and locking rear diff. Currently sits at 298k miles near Columbus, OH.

The service and maintenance in the past few years is robust, including the following (will provide actual dates when I get time):

Maintenance/pros:

1. Bilstein/Old Man Emu 2 inch lift at around 240k
  2. New Clutch at around 260k
  3. Timing Belt/Water pump at around 285k
  4. OEM Toyota Lower Ball Joints at 230k
  5. OEM Toyota Upper ball joints around 260k. 
  6. ALL new suspension bushings except front lower control arms and steering rack bushings within my ownership (but have those and they will come with the truck)
  7. Tundra Front Brake upgrade (with new stoptech pads and rotors done at 295k)
  8. Full Size matching spare wheel and tire (came with full size rusty steel wheel with unmatched tire)
  9. Celica Steering wheel
  10. New trailer hitch (old one hung too low) with new trailer mounting light harness and third brake light (can't have too many lights on these things, they're not overly bright at night!)
  11. New Headlight housings and lights 
  12. Yellow LED fog lights to give it that JDM-yo look
  13. The Clock works
  14. Rear Diff breather extension/lift (routed to above the frame rails instead of on the diff)
  15. I have the engine skid plates, they're just off for pictures.
  16. Folder of maintenance receipts detailing extensive routine maintenance done during my ownership, and last owner (also a GRMer)
  17. The real kicker is that this car was purchased from a GRMer and was a Florida and Georgia car it's whole life. When I got it, it had minor frame surface rust (mostly at weld seams) which I sanded and painted, then blasted with cosmoline. For the frame rails, I drilled 4 drain holes and used a power washer with a sewer cleaner attachment (sprays high pressure water in 360 degrees) and completely cleaned out the frame. After drying, I then filled the frame with fluid film and covered all the holes into said frame with fenderwashers and rubber bushings. Suffice it to say, the thing is CLEAN.

Cons

1. Engine Code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. I have had this code for about 3 years and it burned out the CEL. The last thing I can think to do is replace the exhaust sensors, I just have not done it yet. My reasoning is that since the code is not creating a problem, the opportunity to create another problem by fixing it (breaking the sensors and needing to remove the exhaust to retap, etc) is not very high on my list lol.
  2. There has been a light clunk/pop in the rear for about 2 years. I THINK it is the rear diff as it pops on acceleration, but I have not found the issue for certain and here have been no adverse effects. During the car's tenure with me, it has had regular diff oil changes.
  3. Paint - it's a 25 year old truck
  4. Interior - Clean, but missing the headliner and moonroof. Moonroof was leaking, so I replaced it with aluminum sheet. During tearout, I broke the headliner. I added sound deadener everywhere so it is definitely quieter then when I purchased it though!

Pictures:

Now, to be honest, these are kind of hard to price. They're highly sought after (especially in 4X4, 5 speed, locking rear diff configuration), but this one has high miles. It's cosmetically far from perfect, but very mechanically sound. I think a good price $7K OBO after talking with some GRMers after my last post, and looking at comps. 

Let me know if there are any questions. I've tried to be as transparent as I can! 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/14/24 6:12 p.m.

Interesting rig.i think it's going to be a hard ish sale. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/24 6:30 p.m.

I love it, but I have a 4Runner already.  You need to somehow get this thing seen by the folks that wheel out at Uwharrie here in NC.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/15/24 9:30 a.m.

Not in the market for a 4Runner, but I can give your thread a bump.

And hats off to you for including plenty of pictures.

James_D
James_D Reader
5/15/24 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Thanks! Yeah, really trying to be as forthcoming as possible. Should save time in the end for all involved.

If I can find the original for sale post where I bought it I will post that!

5/15/24 11:18 a.m.

I threw a link to this ad up on the Carolina 4Runners Off-Road group.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/15/24 12:50 p.m.

Cool truck and I'm even local. But I don't have a need for it really. 

Dang Toyotas are durable. 298k miles and it looks fantastic. 

James_D
James_D Reader
5/15/24 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Thanks!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/24 10:24 a.m.

You don't want approximately 2/3 of a Mini Cooper on trade, do ya??

This is so awesome. GLWS.

James_D
James_D Reader
5/18/24 9:16 a.m.
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/18/24 11:58 a.m.

I didn't know you could get a V6 with manual transmission.  It is tempting but I already have a 99 2WD with 90k fewer miles.  

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
5/18/24 4:01 p.m.
  You need to somehow get this thing seen by the folks that wheel out at Uwharrie here in NC.

One of my best friends lives in Fuquay, and wheels in Uwharrie often. Camps with a group; and also out at the beach for jet ski weekends. I can definitely put you in touch. 
Also, I'm in need of a light (ish) tow rig, and would love that! Way out of my budget, but, if you're in a position the be charitable to a guy in recovery, we could talk!

DM me either way! 
Thanks. 

James_D
James_D Reader
5/19/24 4:39 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Will do!

James_D
James_D Reader
5/20/24 7:40 p.m.

Here's a picture with skids attached:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/24 8:01 p.m.

RE Con #2 popping on acceleration: have you lubed up the splines in the rear driveshaft? There's a zerk just for them. My 99 was actually binding enough that I could feel/hear the rear settle like a half second after I stopped until I shot some new grease in there. 

Anyway, free bump and GLWS

James_D
James_D Reader
5/25/24 11:42 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I have greased the u-joints at every other oil change, and I have greased that spline, but possibly not enough. 

I had read reports of greasing it too much and blowing out some seals so I was always conservative with it (like 2-3 pumps). 
I'll look into it again! 

5/26/24 1:16 a.m.

My 4Runner also pops randomly on accel and sometimes after hard braking. I've greased the driveshaft with the right grease at the right interval. It seems to me like it's a feature, not a bug after 330k+ miles. 

James_D
James_D Reader
5/26/24 2:14 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

That's what I was starting to think. It's been going on awhile, doesn't/hasn't gotten worse, and has no ill effects that I notice. 

James_D
James_D Reader
5/29/24 10:39 p.m.

Back from vacation so bump, and price drop to $6500 OBO. 

If anyone has questions let me know! 

James_D
James_D Reader
6/5/24 6:05 p.m.

Tough crowd! 
Price drop to $6k. 

James_D
James_D Reader
6/24/24 7:18 a.m.

Bump and drop to $5500

AxeHealey
6/24/24 9:19 a.m.

Goodness. Why and how has this not sold yet?

James_D
James_D Reader
6/25/24 12:48 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

No idea, I thought it'd be quicker too!

AxeHealey
6/25/24 1:16 p.m.

I wonder if it's the sunroof filler panel. Has it been bonded (glued) into place or screwed?

James_D
James_D Reader
6/25/24 2:51 p.m.

It's bolted in, and has tape around it for weather sealing. No drips or anything like that, just not great looking lol. 

I prefer a beat up look though for trucks.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BLgFwdx8WKWOE4TIiJuJo3uyQmDQgLWjJr2FRFjkPvpUNSE7ztAxAB3zMuZZeu7x