nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/24 1:58 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/894002912539694/

I know there are a couple of folks on here that like these. This one looks like it was once nice, then sort of got abandoned. Looks like some reasonable period mods, but then just left out in the elements for a decade plus...

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/24/24 9:29 a.m.

It does seem like the people that like these really like them.

Bumping in case any interested parties missed it.

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/24 10:21 a.m.

I have that one saved. Years ago a friend of mine had one. I got to borrow it for a month when one of my cars was at the body shop. I liked it. It wasn't fast, didn't handle in any amazing way, it was just neat. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/24 10:38 a.m.

I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see this. I wish I had the space

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/24/24 10:44 a.m.

I did my first 'donut' in a snowy parking lot with my buddy's back in the day.  Back then I thought we were driving a spaceship. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/24 11:48 a.m.

Seller said:  

"Here’s the story. This car sat for 10 years in the previous owners driveway. Water got inside and ruined the interior. I have since gutted most of it. I have every piece besides the carpet padding."

Race Car don't care! cheeky

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/24 12:08 p.m.

Thoughts on the roof rust? Seems "flat" like chips got the paint to lift, maybe under a cover and held moisture. It doesn't look bubbled up.

Remove windshield, sand and paint? Or think it's worse than that? 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/24/24 12:23 p.m.
dan0 said:

Thoughts on the roof rust? Seems "flat" like chips got the paint to lift, maybe under a cover and held moisture. It doesn't look bubbled up.

Dan, it's  about 20mins from my work.  If you wanted me to check it out for you and facetime it in person, I'd be happy to! 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/24/24 12:32 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

I like your optimism.  I bet, at the vey best, areas of that are paper thin once the cancer is removed.  I could see a number of small holes hiding there in the crust.

For the right kind of enthusiast, this might be a great project, but I bet there's a lot of excitement hiding just below the surface that will not make for a fast project if the goal is a nice car in the end.

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/24 3:07 p.m.
golfduke said:
dan0 said:

Dan, it's  about 20mins from my work.  If you wanted me to check it out for you and facetime it in person, I'd be happy to! 

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll go for this one. Really looking for a better daily driver than another project. The nostaglia hit me and I considered it. 

porschenut
porschenut Dork
7/24/24 4:07 p.m.

That is galvanized, not supposed to rust.  Owned a lot of audis of that era, never had rust issues.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/24 12:31 a.m.

I had one of these ~15 years ago. Horrible, nightmare car to own. One of the few cars I've ever had that left me stranded multiple times. The distributor drive gear is made of plastic...that failure point left me standing still in the middle of rush hour freeway traffic. Good times!

Made really good noises, looked cool, and had a nice interior, but abysmal gas mileage and not fast either. Interestingly the bodies don't (or shouldn't, at least) rust because of galvanizing but all of the black cladding is just raw metal coated in plastic and tends to warp and peel away from the body as it rusts internally.

A friend of mine still messes with these older I5 Audis and apparently a LOT of mechanical stuff is going NLA very rapidly, so be prepared for that.

I would not touch another one of these with a 40 foot pole unless it came with a giant stack of reciepts, ran and drove flawlessly, and looked immaculate. And even then...

My old POS:

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/24 10:23 a.m.

I had the sedan version of this for a little while before trading it for my b5 s4 avant. Loved it. It was a terrible, terrible car but those are the kinds of cars I like. And yes, basically everything is NLA and Audi Tradition (factory supplier of vintage OEM parts) is hard to deal with because they won't sell to the public in the US and a lot of dealers won't do the leg work for small volumn stuff like that.

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/24 11:31 a.m.

Hmmm, random pop-up while browsing YouTube. Somebody bought it and is turning it into a rally car. Stickers and plates match. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9veNiRxT7XVOzqXJTdoXsBOaNDdms5ofmRkByYBWNsAT1JB5lTLhI83FYNEiD8Hu