914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/4/19 2:46 p.m.

Can someone put an A in my flat please?

22R Automatic with 54,000 miles.  Former camper stripped down to the frame.  I'd like to put a 4X8 aluminum diamond plate deck on it, whack it off just behind the tires.

What do I need to know - watch out for?  This is the second listing, started at $1200, ran a week, no bids.

Bit of bodywork required where the camper walk through was .....

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/4/19 3:42 p.m.

I have no clue but I'm going to follow along. smiley

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
9/4/19 3:43 p.m.

A friend of mine has a camper on the back of one.  If I had to use one word to describe it, it would be 'slow'.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
9/4/19 3:53 p.m.

It might be a faster race-car that way?  https://www.instagram.com/racingcamper2/

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 4:25 p.m.

They sold a one ton ("Won Ton") version of those trucks. This probably started life as one.

Woody
9/4/19 4:25 p.m.

Woody
9/4/19 4:27 p.m.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/19 4:34 p.m.

One of the horsemen that I knew had one of these when I was on the Harness racing Grand Circuit.

He would leave early, and would be the last one to pull in at the next stop.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
9/4/19 4:39 p.m.

As someone who owns a Toyota pickup with a 22RE I have a hard time imagining it with a ton of cargo in the back trying to accelerate up an onramp.  I have to remind myself the national speed limit was 55 MPH and it wasn't trying to merge onto a 75 MPH turnpike.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/4/19 4:45 p.m.
Woody said:

Those are generally the V-6 guys with a lower geared rear end.  As this is a 4 cylinder, I'm hoping for something geared a bit higher.

Either way, I like the F-150 I have but it's a pain sometimes.  Guy offered to relieve me of it aor more than I have into it.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
9/4/19 5:05 p.m.

I had the dually set up with a tilt dumper. It was slow but I absolutely loved it.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/4/19 5:06 p.m.

I love the idea.  It wouldn't be fast, but depending on your load, not any less quick than a regular pickup with the 22RE.    

Those rear wheels are a "Big 6" pattern (6 on 7.25"), and not the easiest to find replacements for.  It also doesn't match the front, so you are looking at two spares.  I have heard of both 15 and 14 inch wheel sizes- hopefully this has the 15" so that finding tires won't be completely impossible.  (this is via my failing memory, so larger sizes might be available, but regardless, find out what size his rear tires are, with photos before bidding)

I have also read that full floater hubs from a Land Cruiser will swap right on, but then you will make running DRW more difficult, and you would still have different lug patterns front to rear.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/4/19 5:35 p.m.

"What do I have to look out for"

Nothing..  IF it runs and the frame isn't rusted through by the gas tank.. buy it and it'll carry your coffin to your final resting place.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/4/19 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

An old acquaintance hitched a cross country ride this spring from Cali with some hipster in a 22RE Toyota.  They made it to Ohio.  That was it's final resting place.  Lots of steam in the Instagram photo.  Looked good too.  Rust free car on a flatbed I'm sure people were offering money to the guy the whole time.  smiley

Fueled by Caffeine
9/5/19 6:52 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

I had an 86 pickup in college. I seriously abused it. Blew a head gasket running it super hard off road in some mud. 

You have to recklessly abuse that engine to get it to fail.  I did a pretty good job of beating on it and it kept on going.  Only thing they killed the truck was frame rust. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
9/6/19 3:34 a.m.

I want to mount my welder on that and have a great work truck

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/6/19 7:27 p.m.

Buy it, create a build thread, turbo for the 22R, make it into a ramp truck, buy the $6000 Protege to be carried on ramp truck for the win.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/6/19 7:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

buy it and it'll carry your coffin to your final resting place.

It sounds like you'd better head there now to get there in time.

Which sounds less funny and more ghoulish than I thought it would before I wrote it, but now I'm invested with all this typing...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/9/19 7:51 a.m.

Relisted again with ZERO bids, two days to go.  Seller says if it doesn't go by the end of September he will let it go for $1,000.

It will cost me $1000 to ship it to NY.  The stumper for me is renewing the rear window.  Sheet metal is easy enough, but finding another window track has me puzzled.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/9/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Just buy another cab...  should be cheap and easy from a junkyard down south

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/9/19 9:33 a.m.

If anybody is interested there is a flatbed Toy with a transplanted V6 and fifth wheel hitch for $3800.  A custom trailer is available for $1800, or a package price of $5000.  I’ve been considering offering $4k and see what happens.  

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/353845782180493/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=Toyota%20flatbed 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jg98FL1UuvdLbiYMDviyFxza9VMqAsooSCEgz0dU7gvxbky8IAmZJyyLObk2brky