wjones
wjones
5/12/08 4:02 p.m.

I am considering picking up a Fiat 124 coupe. It does not run but it should be a good candidate for a project car. The only bummer is that it really is not local to me so I would have to make a significant investment just to get it home.

The only thing that I am afraid of is that I’ll get it, get it running, and end up not liking it. I cannot just go and test drive one of these. I did read one internet blog where the owner was disappointed with his coupe even though he was a Fiat fan (http://www.ovingtonpaint.com/fiat/id18.html).

I also like the fact the car can fit four versus the LBC’s or the Spyder 124. It would be nice to be able to include all of your family at the same time.

Any opinions here? (I know Coupefan’s opinion already)

Other cars I have also considered...

Lancia Fulvia, MGB GT, Datsun 240,

Alfa GTV <- too much coin

TR6 <- too much coin

MG Midget <- there is a good project one local, but it’s a two seater

Graham Dick
Graham Dick None
5/12/08 9:37 p.m.

I had a Fiat 124 coupe when I was going to university. It was a great car. It was definitely a better car than the MGB I had shortly afterwards. I'm not sure how it compares to my current Alfa Spider as there was about a 20 year gap between selling the Fiat & buying the Alfa.

I remember a college roommate borrowing it once & he couldn't stop raving about the car.

74 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000

88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes None
5/13/08 5:30 a.m.

I owned one that I drove, and a couple that I just bought and parted or sold. This was back when you could actually find them with the floorpans still intact. :grin: They are nice driving cars. They need a bit more tire than the factory gave them. If you're used to British cars, they have decent power. If you campare them to modern cars, you'll probably want a bit more. Body parts are really a challenge for these, and windshields in particular are becoming a problem. The drivetrain is all 124 Spider, so no problems there. They are not worth much restored, so customize to your taste (better cloth seats to lose the vinyl). What year car are you considering? Some look better than others.

rconlon
rconlon None
5/13/08 8:44 a.m.

I have my eye on a local one and would like to get it. As Dwight says, twice, they drive well and share the Spider parts.

Their low value means that I would not ship ($1000) one or restore ($10,000) one but would seek a local one in decent shape through the Fiat clubs and forums.

cheers Ron

racerdave600
racerdave600
5/13/08 9:54 a.m.

A friend sold one ('72 model) to a guy in Brazil for insane money, they're very popular in other parts of the world.

Coupefan
Coupefan None
5/13/08 10:04 a.m.

Don't want my opinion, eh? Dig up old road tests from Road and Track, a few British publications and others for their opinions.

wjones
wjones
5/13/08 10:30 a.m.

Coupefan,

It's not that I don't want your opinion. I did my due diligence and searched GRM and here for 124 coupe content. I read how you feel about the coupe already :nice:

Coupefan
Coupefan None
5/13/08 11:54 a.m.

Sorry, I was trying to do my best Tony Soprano with that statement...I'm a comedian at heart. Should have put up one of those smiley things.

wjones
wjones
5/13/08 2:17 p.m.

"What year car are you considering? Some look better than others. "

It's a BC, which is my favorite.

The parts availablity issue is a scary comment though. But I guess it's the same with all the rarer cars.

I plan on trying to look at some of these this weekend in Carlisle.

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes New Reader
5/13/08 6:10 p.m.

You'll be lucky if there is ONE at Carlisle. :cool: Seek out Shaun Folkerts. He has a couple, though probably will be driving something else. Ask anyone in the Fiat tent and they should be able to point him out.

T_Rocco
T_Rocco
5/13/08 7:32 p.m.

I did not see anywhere what you like to drive or what you have owned in the past... Do you do all your own work? As far as Fiats... well most Italian cars which can still be had by the "unwashed masses" the Spiders are the choosen race and still have good parts coverage. You can get parts for just about any Fiat but as other posts indicate parts are dwindling for all but the ones that most resemble British cars... Hmmmm John O's post should be taken with a grain of salt as he is an X1/9 guy complicated by the fact that he owns a Scorpion... We know what that means. :grin: Seriously though John is an X guy and as such would not find a Coupe to be tight enough or little enough or X1/9ish enough. I know this because I've own X1/9s since 1981 when I chose one over a 2000 Spider for $400.00 more. Fact is I am drawn to the more modern style the X and the Scorpion offers. It is not for everyone as Scorpions have all but disappered and the X1/9s are not enjoying the parts support. But I digress... I have owned a Lancia Zagato which is as close as I could get to a Coupe, the Lancia is FWD 2000cc FI DOHC and it was a very well mannered car. A blast to drive. The Coupe should be an 1800cc RWD DOHC? You should have no problems doing anything you want with the drivetrain and I may be the only person on the planet who thinks an 1800cc is plenty powerful but my guess is if you tweak the suspension (properly lower & rebuild) and sort out the drivetrain the biggest problem you might have is getting the goofy grin off your face every time you drive it. My biggest misconception concerning Fiats/Lancias/Alfas is my belief that the only way to enjoy them is is two seats no top... I say get the Coupe! ciao, Tony

Luke
Luke
5/14/08 4:11 a.m.

^If it's a BC it should have a 1600, although the 1800cc motor from the later model CC is a popular upgrade.

I owned a BC coupe for a little over a year, and I still miss that car. My current Alfa is way faster but it 's not quite as fun to drive.

That said, you might also want to consider an Alfa Alfetta GTV or GTV6.

Coupefan
Coupefan None
5/14/08 9:16 a.m.

There's a great site called FirebreathingFiats.com The site is run by Joe, a resident of Vancouver, B.C. I had a chance to meet the local Fiat fans up there on a business trip a few years back. The site showcases a few Coupes, one of which belongs to Robert Catania. Absolutely gorgeous and well modified. The weather forces him to drive it only in the warmer months. Great video on the site of him racing by the way. He's the go to guy for rare parts for 124 Coupes.

wjones
wjones New Reader
5/18/08 11:31 p.m.

Great site and good looking cars. I really like the coupe, but I am going to pass. Low value, what it would take to transport this car and make it a driver, and parts availability lead me to this decision.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/18/08 11:16 p.m.

My first car was a 1969 124 coupe. I would pretend I was driving a Ferrari 250 GTE when I drove it. I loved that car and it was a perfect first sports car. I would buy another in nice shape in a second. I have not seen a first gen 124 coupe in good shape for sale in years. Anyone know of any?

brad131a4
brad131a4 None
6/19/08 2:28 a.m.

Just wondering if wjones ever mentioned were this car is ? West or east coast? I'd take it in a heartbeat if it was within 5hrs drive time.

Monroe
Monroe New Reader
6/19/08 9:59 a.m.

If you want a good one try this

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/car/718742477.html

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/19/08 10:01 a.m.

> I also like the fact the car can fit four versus the LBC’s or the Spyder 124. It would be nice to be able to include all of your family at the same time.

When we needed two additional seats, my kids no longer fitting in the TR3's occassional seat, we bought the TR8.

Different approach to running out of seating.

Jack

wjones
wjones New Reader
6/19/08 11:46 a.m.

Brad,

What state are you in? This car is East Coast.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
6/21/08 9:09 a.m.

There were 2 Coupes on Ebay recently. A 69 and a 71. Neither met reserve or the buy it now price. Both on the west coast.

CarlB
CarlB New Reader
7/7/08 11:07 a.m.

I worked for a Datsun, FIAT, SAAB Dealership in 72/73.

I've always liked the styling of the 60's/70's 124 Coupe and Spyders. The fit/finish on them was perhaps a little better than the Datsun's. The materials used in the interiors, the quality of the factory paint jobs were better. They were however very underpowered for the typical American consumer (power to weight ratio).

Perhaps it's a cultural thing - but to own and really appreciate the FIATs - you have to drive them and care for them more like the typical Italian owner, than the typical American owner. The FIATs are not daily drivers, in the sense of the term that American's apply. Treat a 124 Coupe/Spyder like a Mustang or Camero - and the FIAT will fall apart in short order. Use it, drive it with love and care - like a fragile but beautiful woman - and the 124's will easily run for 100K miles and hold up well. The FIATs MUST be maintained in fine tune, oil/filter changes have to be a religiously fanatic ritual... nothing on them can take heavy handed abuse.

One of the biggest problems with them today is the lack of available spare/replacement parts. Second biggest issue is finding an experienced and caring mechanic to work with. If you can find an original owner example with less than 50K miles... that has been lovingly cared for... it might be a beautiful car to own. Almost anything less, might cause great heartbreak...

Also agree that the later 1.8L and 2.0L versions of the Spyder were a huge improvement... If you had the time/money - a Sypder with an engine and drive train swap might make a real nice weekend roadster..

Just my 2 cents worth... Carl B.

pete
pete
8/6/09 8:24 a.m.

I have a 124 AC, get one, fantastic car for its age. Just make sure its not rusty, took me 2yrs to find one that had a good body. Parts are availableat least in Australia, where I am. As the bodies die all the bits get left. Mine is an every day driver, just needs looking after as most old things do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7FqfJ2TA1P6Wd9XcT3bIjLD0ZiqJHBOAXew7rZs2tawQ2rAR3VsggOhbOnkri4DT