1 2
JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/15/24 9:26 a.m.
Mr. Lee said:

So dude wouldn't budge on his price for the one Jetta I was looking at. Found a 13 JSW with 3 pedals and 83k miles I ended up getting for sub 10k out the door. So far avg 38-43mpg depending on how much of a hurry I'm in for that tank.  Its mind boggling getting 38 running 80+ for a large chunk of the tank. Heck it got 35 pulling a small utility trailer with a 1000lbs on it down the highway for 200 miles. To do list is fairly short, timing belt, delete, tune and towing springs. Birthday is next month, who knows, maybe I'll treat myself.

ID Parts.  com sells complete t-belt kits and the tools.  I've been using them for 5+ years for both my TDi's.

By the way, t-belt isn't normally due until 130k, per updated service recommendations.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/15/24 9:50 a.m.

+1 on iDparts.  Most of the maintenance items for my 2003 TDI wagon came from them back to before VAG made them change the company name from "tdiparts."

+ infinity on the oil thing.  It's a lot easier to find VAG rated oil now than it was when I bought my car new back in 2003.  For the first 3 or 4 years of owning that car, I usually bought oil from a dealer in NJ along my commuting route.  

When I stopped commuting my need for the TDI dropped and I sold it, but if hell freezes over and I have to start commuting again, I would try to buy my old car back. 

VAG-Com (or whatever it's called now) from Ross-tech is another tool you'll want to get. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/24 11:10 a.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

8 years 130k per everything I've read. I figured 11 years and 84k would probably be a good idea.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

yeah a VAG-com or equivalent is on the list. Got a TPMS warning the other night on the way home. Low tire was at 33psi. Topped all 4 off to 40 and they haven't moved other than 1-2psi when cold. 

No clue if it's a bad sensor or it lost communication or out of range. But it's still lit on the dash. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b5AcwCm9VobM79UTF4GGPgxh0RYYucxEt2r02HI8LGrDUBv8cH27rH1b2FvWYTZ2