John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/23 10:44 p.m.

https://www.wesh.com/article/one-driver-died-daytona-international-speedway/45673393

Updated: 8:37 PM EDT Oct 28, 2023

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. —

One driver died, and another was injured in an on-track incident at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday.

In a statement provided to WESH 2 News, Daytona International Speedway said, "We are saddened by the passing of a driver after they were transported to an area medical facility following an on-track incident during today's Audi Club track rental session. Additionally, our thoughts are with the driver who was injured during the same incident. Daytona International Speedway will coordinate with both Audi Club and local authorities during their investigation into the cause of the accident.

Praying and hoping...!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/23 10:57 p.m.

Geez, turns out to be a guy local to me, though I did not know him

Put-in-Bay businessman dies in Florida

Oct 28, 2023 6:10 PM

A Put-in-Bay businessman died Saturday in Daytona Beach, Florida, in an incident on a race track, according to Mike Skeen, a professional race car driver based Charlotte, North Carolina.

"Today was a sad day at the race track. My friend and client, Mark Mathys passed away during an incident on track during IGT practice at Daytona," Skeen posted at his social media account. "My heart goes out to his family and friends that he loved so much. He was a passionate enthusiast of the sport who will be missed in the paddock."

Mathys was the owner of the Put-in-Bay Resort and Bay Lodging and recently sold some of his assets in a multimillion dollar deal. He was a racing enthusiast in International GT, a U.S.-based auto racing series.

Screenshot

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/29/23 9:05 a.m.

I found another internet article source that said...

According to reports, Mark Mathys was in Daytona competing in a qualifying session for a race that will take place tomorrow. It seems that he had a flat tire, and when he was getting out of his vehicle to check the situation, he was struck by another vehicle, which caused his instant death.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/29/23 2:33 p.m.

Its made the national news circuit as just heard it on our local ABC broadcast, more this evening. People were laughing about Lewis Hamilton getting fined for crossing a hot track but this proves how things can happen anywhere. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 3:36 p.m.

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut because I wasn't there and don't have all the facts.  As a safety guy one of the first things I've brought up at every drivers meeting for the past twenty years is STAY IN THE berkeleyING CAR unless it is on fire and you are in danger of burning up. That being said I don't know where it happened but it sounds like he was on track due to someone else being injured also.  If this happened in the pits my message doesn't really apply to this situation but is still solid advice to live by.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/29/23 3:54 p.m.

Exactly.  Don't get out of the car unless it's on fire, period!  For this exact reason.  That's something that always gets briefed in our safety meetings before the track goes hot and is emphasized multiple times.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/29/23 3:56 p.m.
docwyte said:

Exactly.  Don't get out of the car unless it's on fire, period!  For this exact reason.  That's something that always gets briefed in our safety meetings before the track goes hot and is emphasized multiple times.

The first thing I heard at the first track day I went to.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/29/23 4:02 p.m.

I too reserve comment because I was not there but this source quoted his sisters FB page:

...In the updated post, Beth shared that Mark had pulled to the wall after the flat tire when two other cars came around and hit each other. 

The collision of the two other cars sent one into the wall, hitting Mark. The rescuers at the spot had to take the top of the car to get Mark out. Beth shared that her brother had either instantly died on impact or on the way to the hospital.

"...take the top off the car to get Mark out"  Maybe he was still in the car.  

It's early.  More story/news will evolve.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/29/23 5:02 p.m.

My condolences to his family.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/29/23 5:29 p.m.

Whatever happened, it's another stark reminder to always respect the danger in road racing. Safety gear and procedures have gotten really really good but we should never take that stuff for granted.

I'm sad for his family, and for anyone involved and present that day.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/23 6:18 p.m.

Sad Story

We passed on the Charlotte Aug track Day, after driving it at slow speed prior to the event

Way too many hard well.

RIP Sir

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/29/23 6:56 p.m.

It’s sad news and difficult to analyze exactly what happened here since so many details haven’t been released, but maybe we can all use this moment to take stock of our own safety situation–that’s something we all have control over.

Is everything on your car up to spec and even beyond spec? Have you practiced exiting the car from different situations? And once on track, do you know where to look for the flags and what to do should something go sideways, whether it’s a simple spin off the track or a major crash? 

What we do–play with cars whether on or off track, autocross course, etc.–has risks for all involved. If we can tip the odds in our favor, I figure that’s a good thing. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
10/29/23 10:37 p.m.

This is the latest I've heard...which tracks with other sources I've heard and seen.   Unfortunate, to say the least. 

"a Porsche lost a tire, spun into the wall and stopped somewhere on turn 1. He must have been off track far enough that they put up a yellow at start finish, but he sat there for around 10 minutes and no tow truck. A black Porsche Cup car and a cayman ignored the yellow and went into turn one side by side at approximately 160mph. Cup car hit the stopped Porsche. That driver had removed his seatbelts. Died on impact. Other driver in critical."

BTR56
BTR56 New Reader
10/30/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

I heard the same about the car  sitting there for way to long.
Car should have been removed immediately ..  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/23 9:58 a.m.
BTR56 said:

In reply to GaryC83 :

I heard the same about the car  sitting there for way to long.
Car should have been removed immediately ..  

Such an easy thing to say without knowing a lot more.   And define "way to long".  Your comment makes it sound like it was the safety people's fault that this happened.   I am hoping it is just the internet failing to provide context to an otherwise inflammatory comment. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/30/23 10:05 a.m.

It was a practice session not during a race so probably figured that people wouldn't be as aggressive and had yellows out would be enough. 

25 years ago it was standard procedure to wave yellows the first lap the car went off.  Then there was an assumption that the field knew the car was parked there, and the yellows were dropped.   It was sort of assumed that the driver had exited the car and jumped over the wall.  I remember many events racing around with multiple cars parked off the racing line.  Also there was such a thing as "hot pickups", where crews were clearing the scene while cars still circled.

Over time, we migrated to it being routine to display double yellows, to do a "black all" , let crews remove the car, and then continue.   This has caused a lot of backlash from racers who see much of their track time disappear .  

Sometimes promoters lean towards trying to achieve as much green laps as possible, and track owners lean towards maximizing safety.  It can be a tricky balance.

I don't think many of us know all the details of this tragedy.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
10/30/23 10:42 a.m.

We're still well short of having enough details to pass judgment in this particular case, but in my mind a car stopped in a high energy impact area should be a red flag situation.   In a professional race, it would at least result in a safety car, virtual or otherwise.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/30/23 11:20 a.m.

As I come back this this thread I am taken by the picture with what I assume is his wife and 3 kids............just gutting.

As harsh as it may seem in the moment we have to ask ourselves what are we doing to mitigate the risks we take? That should probably be a separate thread.

Again my condolences to his wife and kids............what a terrible thing this is for them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ebTkqhc41DKg69rLONz8aEsuYDBT15WKqYe5pRnCyWFSE35qgJn75rPA7v7Ex9nP