1 2 3
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
12/30/20 3:59 p.m.

Lol at 850i. Even if I invested in Tesla back then, I would STILL not be able to afford the maintenance today on a 25 YO 850i.

I will take e36 m3 Evo for 800 Alex (RIP). Gimme that cloth interior PuLEEZE

chada75
chada75 HalfDork
12/30/20 5:06 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

This.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/20 5:23 p.m.
bobzilla said:
STM317 said:

So OBDII is now antique. Wild.

Right? I was in my 2nd year at college....

So who totally screwed up the space/time continuum? I mean bobzilla didn't post the Hyundai ads...

And I see I was beaten to the FD & Supra punch too.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/20 5:25 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

So THIS is now an antique???

oh dear...

Grandmothers everywhere now dislike you strongly. surprise

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/30/20 5:31 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

[...]"They don't make them like that anymore," my vote would go to the BMW 850 - it was still in production.

I expect this will be a very expensive car in the near future.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/30/20 5:33 p.m.
bobzilla said:

LAst year of the C4 ZR1. 

berkeley me, that means the c5 will be eligible for classic plates...next year?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/30/20 6:49 p.m.
bobzilla said:

LAst year of the C4 ZR1. 

1995...  I think a few 1995s may have sold in 96.  I had historic plates on my 1991 ZR-1.  It's one of the greatest engines ever made surrounded by a C4 Corvette and way too many electrical gremlins.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/20 6:54 p.m.

Vortec heads for small block Chevys!

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
12/30/20 7:49 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

I absolutely hated them then, but now I sort of like the jellybean look to them. Especially the SHO. So rare now.

Agreed on the last of the best looking Ford trucks. 

When I think about 1996, an MX-6 came to mind for me. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/30/20 7:58 p.m.

Id love a 1996 neon acr sedan in black. 

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
12/30/20 8:27 p.m.

Be careful in Ohio if you go for the historic plates... a friend of mine had historic plates and made the mistake of driving that car to work two days in a row.  When he got into the parking lot, he was surrounded by cops (with weapons drawn!).  Historic plates are for cars driven to/from car shows, classic plates are issued to cars that are listed "in the book" but don't have any use limitations.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/30/20 8:28 p.m.

Acura Intergra, MR2, NSX, Supra, 300ZX, RX7, 240SX and Viper GTS.  There were loads of cool cars in the mid nineties.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/31/20 7:18 a.m.
triumph7 said:

Be careful in Ohio if you go for the historic plates... a friend of mine had historic plates and made the mistake of driving that car to work two days in a row.  When he got into the parking lot, he was surrounded by cops (with weapons drawn!).  Historic plates are for cars driven to/from car shows, classic plates are issued to cars that are listed "in the book" but don't have any use limitations.

leave it to Ohio to be bigger nazis than Illinois

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/31/20 7:44 a.m.
triumph7 said:

My FIL got pulled over because a cop thought he was driving his 1930 Chevy to work.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/31/20 7:51 a.m.

I mean, wherever I take my C10 turns into an impromptu car show so...... 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/31/20 8:17 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
triumph7 said:

My FIL got pulled over because a cop thought he was driving his 1930 Chevy to work.

Tell me more.  Other than the "guns drawn" what is the penalty for mis-use of these types of plates?  I too was once pulled over for speeding with this type of plate.  I was actually speeding.  The plate was a non-issue.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/31/20 8:24 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

No guns drawn for my FIL, but it seems some cops are overzealous about enforcing historical plate violations.  Guessing it is an easy ticket.  My FIL did not get a ticket (he wasn’t driving it to work anyway), just a warning.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/31/20 8:40 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

One of the other provisions of the Ohio Historical plates is so the car can be taken to the mechanic.  But, if you're the mechanic yourself...

My plan if I ever need some roadside justification for driving it that day is to say, "she's developed a misfire/stalling at about 3,000 rpm, it doesn't happen until the car is warmed up so I'm out for a road test to repair before this weekend's car show."   

But, I've really only had these plates on cars I drive rarely.  I guess my '90 Q45 was the most driven of the 3 cars I've had with these plates.  It was my '94 Q45 that I was driving while caught in the speed trap of small town, Berlin Heights, OH.  Would you believe that one side of the rural road is 35mph and the other side is 50mph?  Yeah, it surprised me too.  Busted for 48 mph heading north on a two lane country road that heading south has a speed limit of 50 mph.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/31/20 8:55 a.m.

I got pulled over once with mine for "failure to display" because I had a license plate frame covering the sticker. Never a mention of the historic plates.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/31/20 9:06 a.m.

Interesting car in 96? 

I still think they look great.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
12/31/20 9:07 a.m.
triumph7 said:

I shudder to think of thee podunk town and the hourly law enforcement 'officers' that were part of that goat rope.Either that or your friend is full of a whole lotta BS in telling his story.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
12/31/20 9:08 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

1996 Hyundai Accent 

I miss those amazing hyundai ads 

I feel like you might have your decades mixed up. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/31/20 9:57 a.m.
FatMongo said:
triumph7 said:

I shudder to think of thee podunk town and the hourly law enforcement 'officers' that were part of that goat rope.Either that or your friend is full of a whole lotta BS in telling his story.

It's Ohio. I don't doubt any of it.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
12/31/20 10:07 a.m.

I celebrated my 50th birthday.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Only the last ad makes sense as you would burn through two Hyundai's in the four year term of the car loan.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eniv8U3FOGoOQ0iGc1CDwU88FxZMwkxjENITCQ2Qx8IuNe8dQJJsjPn2cdxMlzEJ