dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/17/13 2:20 p.m.

So, I have the MR2 in my driveway waiting patiently for me to finish the GS430. The MR2 has a horrible rod knock so I'm planning on swapping the motor out. The GS is moving along and should be out of the garage some time soon (soon being a relative term.) so I want to step up my efforts to find a replacement engine for the MR2. The question I have is, is there a real difference between the 1ZZ-FE and the 1ZZ-FED? The -FED is made in Japan and basically only in the MR2 Spyder here in the US. So it's very hard to find. The -FE is in a million and a half Corollas and if you get a 2000+ it has VVTi just like the MR2. The published power specs are:

1ZZ-FED: 140hp, 126 lb-ft.
2000-2002 1ZZ-FE from Corolla: 125hp, 125 lb-ft.

So obviously there's something different and I would prefer not to give up 15 hp, but couldn't that difference just be intake/exhaust/ECU related? And since I'm keeping those as original MR2 pieces, is it likely I wouldn't be giving up any power by installing a 1ZZ-FE?

I've searched quite a bit on Google and there's mostly just message board speculation. So I thought I'd get more of that, only from my favorite source.

The cost of a 1ZZ-FE is less than a quarter of a 1ZZ-FED, just because there are so many of them. Cost is my primary motivator, here. I'm not planning on this being a 10-year motor, more like 1-year. Next winter I might do a 2ZZ swap if I'm able to find a suitable donor. But time and space availability don't allow me to do that 2ZZ swap now, and I want to enjoy the car come spring.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
1/17/13 2:44 p.m.

Went on Toyodiy and the Corolla shows 2 cam choices... labelled (L = 13502‑0D010 and 13501‑0D010), or (J = 13502‑22010 and 13501‑22040). The MR2 engine only has one choice and that is (J)......

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/17/13 2:50 p.m.

Interesting. Since my MR2 motor has a rod knock, the cam is likely okay. I could swap the cam over into the Corolla motor. I had hoped not to have to crack open the head, but 15hp might be worth it.

alekzandru221
alekzandru221
2/25/13 10:28 p.m.

Did you get to the swap? I have a 2005 MR2, I recently ordered a 2006 celica 1zz-fe. I am currently working in the swap, everything seems to be going ok. I did run into 2 problems so far. The drive train guide that goes right above the oil pan, on the celica's zz the holes are not there due it being a FWD car. I did how ever tap new hole as the base is there, just not the holes. 10mm*1.25 is the size if you need to know. Now the other problem is, on the intake side of the MR's engine, right on the middle of the block, there is a censor that is not on the celica's engine. I have not dropped the MR's engine to fully inspect it. I'm assuming its the oil pressure censor. Dont know if its on a different place on the celica's engine. If all fail i guess ill have to do without it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/26/13 2:17 p.m.

I've recently come across some engines.....

How close are you to Portland Oregon???

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zNQ1kVCAk0dZ3hh21hIGp3ZBAU4bvRJPdUogM7PuHwrEH4UO2dRDr3BbEMw0jphN