orphancars
orphancars Reader
2/2/15 7:05 p.m.

Title pretty much says it all -- what is a good starting point tire pressures for autox for a 2012 GTI in GS on BFG Rivals? Been out of the sport for a while, so I'm starting from scratch. Car will be stock except for the wheel/tire (17" instead of the stock 18"), rear swaybar (Hotchkis) and upgraded brakes.

For that matter -- suggestion for an upgraded brake pad? Some of the manufacturer websites (cough! Hawk!! cough!!!) aren't much help in pad selection.

Thanks in advance to the hive,

-jeff d

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/2/15 7:14 p.m.

No experience with a GTI but Rivals seem to like lower pressures than most track day tires. On a heavier car than yours, I start around 29 cold and they're good at 34 hot. You'll have a learning curve for your own car on a particular track, of course.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
2/2/15 10:11 p.m.

I've driven mine (88 M3) with a lot of different pressures and found to like them on the lower side but they'll work well over a wide range. i ended up winning my season with a starting cold pressure of 25.5 F and 29 rear, ended up around 28 F and 32-3 rear but i usually stopped checking. i found them to work pretty well up to around 38 hot but i liked the feel of them a bit softer. they actually sort of reminded me of my old (probably dry, definitely cycled but still fun) RA1s when set low with their, um, "gummyness" is how a friend described them.

i'd say start higher and dont be afraid to air down to see how you like it as they'll be good still set lower than most others.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/3/15 6:14 a.m.

I agree, they like lower pressure. Our Civic lemons car we run 26f 24r cold, wears and grips well.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/15 6:37 a.m.

For brakes you should look at Axxis ULT, Hawk HPS, or EBC Redstuff. Those are all good for autocross but they have a few differences - for example the Redstuff is low dust, the ULT puts out more dust, and the HPS puts out really nasty dust.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
2/3/15 9:02 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Thanks for the brake info -- to confirm, those are all autox only pads, correct? Not good/useful/recommended for street? I don't have a problem swapping pads on the weekend before/after an event, just wanted to confirm.

thx!

orphancars
orphancars Reader
2/3/15 9:03 a.m.

Thanks to everyone for the tire advice!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/15 9:19 a.m.
orphancars wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Thanks for the brake info -- to confirm, those are all autox only pads, correct? Not good/useful/recommended for street? I don't have a problem swapping pads on the weekend before/after an event, just wanted to confirm. thx!

No those pads are fine for street use as well.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/15 9:35 a.m.

Hawk HPS are decent do anything pads. HP+ are borderline daily driveable.

We did some tire testing on teh rivals for our Chumpcar. It likes 34 psi hot. This equates to about 24 psi front and 26 psi rear on a road course. Car is a 87 Mazda rx7 that weighs 2300# =/- 100 #.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/3/15 10:31 a.m.

Does BFG give suggested pressures like Hoosier does ?

Hawk HPS- good street pad, good for autocross, maybe track, low dust.

Hawk HP plus not so good for the street, need heat, some squeaking and more dust/ Good track pad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jHrtIuvqLkfDL3UmPON7otQeL9VTXPa36pcQ9lLRhy6iwBXvCPeebxtus1IS3HYG