1 2 3
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
8/7/15 3:08 p.m.
feature_image

It looks similar a Lotus. It screams loud like you wouldn't believe. It definitely calls attention to itself. But exactly how does this exotic stack up? We slid behind the wheel to find out.

Read the rest of the story

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/15 3:47 p.m.

Every time I click the link in one of these Read the rest of the story threads, it just takes me back to the top of the page. Every time, on every one.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/15 3:50 p.m.

Me too, you have to hit the "View original review" text.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/7/15 3:50 p.m.

Yeah, it looks like that link is messed up. Go here instead:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2015-alfa-romeo-4c-spider/

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/15 3:56 p.m.

I think a fourth opinion is needed. Please send the car to 4401....

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/7/15 4:39 p.m.

This paragraph was the money shot for me: Just how light is this car? I was expecting under 2000lb for sure. Here in Canukland the car would be over $100,000 by the time it hit the driveway.

"The over $71,000 price tag of our Alfa 4C test car is supposedly largely because of the hand-laid carbon fiber tub. Carbon fiber is a good thing. Check the curb weights, and you will see the Alfa weighs about the same, if not a little more than the new plain old steel ND Miata, which sells for 1/3 the price. This bothers me somehow."

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
8/7/15 4:53 p.m.

Personally, I think an Elise is prettier. As much as I want to like it, I just find something awkward about the front and rear. It's no 8C.

I still would love to drive one just for the experience.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
8/7/15 5:45 p.m.

Aren't these mid-engine?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/7/15 5:49 p.m.

I suspect that these will be a little like the $8,000 titanium mountain bike that spends most of its time in the garage... The guys who can afford them will largely be a little afraid of them, and unhappy that the missus doesn't want to come along. Too bad because it's sex on wheels.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/7/15 6:39 p.m.

Yawn...pass the C7 Z06 please

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/7/15 7:13 p.m.

It's Italian, what did you expect? Seriously, that describes almost every Italian car I've owned, well, except for the really fast part.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/7/15 7:43 p.m.

I was afraid this is how the car would turn out. Stupid. Something about poor design really grinds my gears.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
8/7/15 7:55 p.m.

This is the only real relevance to me: Apparently, by the time this falls into my price range in, say, 2031, the interior will be a jumbled mess of broken plastic and loose wires.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
8/7/15 9:05 p.m.

Sounds like fun

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/7/15 10:22 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: This is the only real relevance to me: Apparently, by the time this falls into my price range in, say, 2031, the interior will be a jumbled mess of broken plastic and loose wires.

Its a alfa with a cruddy interior if it can get past the 3 year warranty without a major failure of the interior I would say they are getting better.

That price is laughable.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/7/15 10:53 p.m.

There is a guy at work that has one. It looks fantastic and sounds vicious.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/8/15 12:19 a.m.

This one was hard to write. I felt old, as I didn't get it. No one else in our office liked it either. I also talked to a good buddy who writes for Motortrend. They struggled with the car too.

CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
8/8/15 6:13 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Perhaps what you and the other reviewers are saying is that the minimum standard for a successful sports car is no longer a Triumph or Austin Healy with Lucas electrics, but more a Mazda Miata or a Corvette. Put another way, reliablility and comfort are as important to most users as a low 0 to 60 time.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/15 7:43 a.m.
Kreb wrote: I suspect that these will be a little like the $8,000 titanium mountain bike that spends most of its time in the garage... The guys who can afford them will largely be a little afraid of them, and unhappy that the missus doesn't want to come along. Too bad because it's sex on wheels.

Kinda sounds like the Elise when it first arrived here. Every one I saw at the track was tiptoeing around and the owners didn't seem particularly thrilled about running them hard.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
8/8/15 8:08 a.m.

Aren't these Alfas are being sold in very limited numbers? I don't get the niche car to vette/miata comparison here.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/8/15 9:07 a.m.

My TR6 is way more comfortable. I take 1000 mile tours with it all the time. Five minutes in the Alfa is all I could take.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/8/15 9:20 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: My TR6 is way more comfortable. I take 1000 mile tours with it all the time. Five minutes in the Alfa is all I could take.

I found that part about this drive really curious. As an old Alfisti, I worry that they lost their history. On original springs, my GTV was very comfortable to drive, and still handled really well- like how the Elise was (but not that soft with amazing handling).

And even the homologated race cars- the GTA and such- were very comfortable.

A car like this is obviously brilliant when that stiff. But how stiff does one need to be so that it's still great and comfortable. It's almost as if they thought- "well, since this car is so hard to get in and out of, nobody is going to use it every day..."

That recent review of the Miata illustrated that.

But I also really appreciated the small note that a carbon fiber chassis car that is made to be high tech weighs as much as a steel Miata. That's great!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/8/15 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard: I don't remember Motortrend saying that the interior is crappy in their video review.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
8/8/15 9:54 a.m.

Our local dealer says they are now to get the regular production cars (as opposed to the introductory model.) Base list is $54,900 but the next one they will get will have $12,000 of options. Like a $3500 leather package.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/8/15 10:01 a.m.

Don't care about any of it. Still want. Badly.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fs1Xj6HWhv6XJgXjTVHvxQkBa70yHFAhw1mohKThDZIYyfPOM5SV0gSUP4kTgsOb