1 2
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/16/12 1:37 p.m.

If they get rid of the goofy wheel arches it will help immensely.

Lighter is a gift from the gods.

If the 1.4 is physically much smaller than the 2.0 block then I'm all for it. That means much better donors for Locosts.

Turbo is great because that means we can tinker a little.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
6/16/12 1:50 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

Huh?for sure the easiest most affordable way to increase power over stock is to start with a factory boosted engine.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/12 3:59 p.m.

I think we've managed to prove here that there's no one "best looking" Miata for everyone

Well, other than the Targa Miata, of course. But I'm just biased.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/17/12 10:36 p.m.

I love the NA more than any of the 2 other generations. I'm just hoping the new Miata doesnt come out as something we all hate, mainly style wise. The NB gearbox is way better than the NA tho and that is why I'm swapping em this coming week! NA has the classic styling and I just marvel at it every time I look at mine. Other than the gearbox, the NA wins overall in my book. Then again, that's just my opinion.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/18/12 6:32 a.m.

Oooh, oooh, I too have an opinion. I suppose I like NB's the best, but I dig the NA door handles. NC's I've never really got onboard with the looks yet. I have seen several NA's that made me drool.

skeeler
skeeler New Reader
6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
Keith wrote: The only real information out there is: Skyactiv turbo gas engine as light as possible, with a target of around 2200 lbs ... In particular, there are no spy shots so you can't judge the styling - they're all "artist's interpretations" which means they're complete random guesses based on the show car du jour.

Actually, the engine will almost certainly be a Skyactiv-G, but it's not clear that a turbo-charged engine is coming. Mazda has said that it prefers to use naturally aspirated engines for throttle response, and, although the Skyactiv-D diesels are turbo'd, the Skyactiv-Gs used so far have all been N/A.

So far, only 1.3-, 1.5-, and 2.0-l Skyactiv-G engines have been discussed by Mazda, and all of those have been used in production cars. It seems likely that a larger-displacement I4 is in the works, especially since Mazda has said it won't develop any Skyactiv V6s. So, I'd expect the next MX-5 to be powered by some version of those engines. I'd expect two engine choices, with only one available in North America. I'm hoping for an N/A 2.0 putting our around 185 BHP.

As for the styling, as Keith says, everything that we've seen has been pure speculation on the part of some magazine's artist. Mazda's chief stylist has said the ND will be a mix of Kodo design (as seen on the Shinari, Minagi, Takeri, and CX-5) and classic Miata elements.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/12 12:45 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: If the 1.4 is physically much smaller than the 2.0 block then I'm all for it. That means much better donors for Locosts. Turbo is great because that means we can tinker a little.

I'm not sure how much tinkering is possible with DI engines at the moment. There are lots more variables thrown into the mix - it's no longer simple 2D/3D fuel maps. Adding additional fuel is going to be adding a set of port injectors just for the expense - check out how much a DI injector or pump costs?

And given THAT, engine swapping is probably going to be a huge PITA without doing a dashboard-and-HVAC-and-anything-else-on-the-bus swap.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
6/18/12 12:50 p.m.

Except, you've seen what people do with the DI Mazdaspeed 3, right?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/18/12 1:06 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
belteshazzar wrote:
plance1 wrote: They lost me after the first generation
if they're going to add lightness, and keep it affordable, what else do you want?
something that looks like the original

So if only they hadn't changed it when changing it? That doesn't make any sense to me. A new gen car should look different.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/18/12 2:12 p.m.
nderwater wrote:

What lip spoiler is that? Is it a GV? I want one that NB looks awesome

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/18/12 2:16 p.m.
jonnyd330 wrote:
nderwater wrote:
What lip spoiler is that? Is it a GV? I want one that NB looks awesome

It's a GV or one of the knockoffs out there.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/18/12 2:53 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: It seems obvious to me that you guys who like the NA & NC just simply don't know what you're talking about.

I'm with you. The NB is a great looking car. The main thing that stops me from getting one is how it got lumped into C-stock... (yes... after my ill-fated E30 purchase, all future toy car purchase decisions will be pathetically based on auto-x classing...)

The flares on the NC have bugged me since day-one. Usually that sort of thing doesn't bother me after a few years, but even now, ~5 years later, those flares just don't look right to me.

Knurled
6/18/12 4:52 p.m.
njansenv wrote: Except, you've seen what people do with the DI Mazdaspeed 3, right?

No, I don't. What are they doing?

The only "they" I see with the Mazdaspeed 3 that "do" anything are replacing stock plastic ducting with chrome ducting, put uglier wheels on them, and ruin the suspension travel.

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/18/12 10:14 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
njansenv wrote: Except, you've seen what people do with the DI Mazdaspeed 3, right?
No, I don't. What are they doing? The only "they" I see with the Mazdaspeed 3 that "do" anything are replacing stock plastic ducting with chrome ducting, put uglier wheels on them, and ruin the suspension travel.

Like... 500whp+ on stock fuel system. (Well, stock injectors. I think they're upgrading the pump internals) The Disi is making MASSIVE power now.

Knurled
6/18/12 10:24 p.m.

Once again, I find the automotive aftermarket's innovativeness to be heartwarming.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/12 8:31 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Once again, I find the automotive aftermarket's innovativeness to be heartwarming.

Still needs an F2T swap.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/12 10:16 a.m.

Yeah, that's what a brand new car needs, an engine that was obsolete a decade and a half earlier

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/19/12 10:18 a.m.
Keith wrote: Yeah, that's what a brand new car needs, an engine that was obsolete a decade and a half earlier

Fast is fast!

And i'm pretty sure it was obsolete the day it hit showroom floors. It's pretty much a gussied up 70s diesel truck motor.

Oh, and we're putting one in a buddy's ex built 1.6 turbo Miata.

houston77mr
houston77mr
2/22/14 11:03 a.m.

Does anyone know if a Skyactiv G engine can fit in an NB? BTW NB bodies are sexy. They have better curves then NA or NC, and the NA popup lights are ugly.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/14 12:21 p.m.

Anything fits if you have a welder. But I wouldn't expect it to be a plug-in.

NA popups look fine when they're down, and you only put them up when it's dark

Based on the side profile sketches I've seen, I have high hopes for this new car. There will always be people who are upset with it, but I think it's going to look good.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
2/22/14 2:12 p.m.

Wow, it's been close to two years since this thread started. Is there any news on the new generation car?

Sultan
Sultan Dork
2/22/14 5:43 p.m.

I have a NA and a NC. The NA is better looking yet the NC is a "better" DD. Love them both yet my Wife believes I only need one....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RK1DiCR6Wqt9XtJrq4rO69RmujehRturTT0aQdI5YCgZHfudZEjoKqKNnVTOqHkd