1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/8/12 5:38 p.m.

Ok, I always lusted after a 911, I almost bought a 911, then a 912 10 or so years ago. Still wanted one. Then I worked on them professionally. The cars weren't terrible to work on (except those air filter clips!!!). The issue for the most part was the terrifically haughty attitude of the majority of the owners I dealt with. Oh man it drove me nuts. That totally killed the romance with the car.
Then I started reading the project articles. It just seems like such a great car to live with. Simple, quick, good looking. Dang you GRM.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/8/12 5:48 p.m.

You and me both. Unfortunately the early ones, the ones I like the best, are getting crazy expensive.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/8/12 7:22 p.m.

964 is the last oil cooled one right? I just know I think I would want one with the g50 and not the weirder older box

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/12 7:57 p.m.

No, 993 was the last of the oil cooled 911s.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/8/12 9:22 p.m.

A question for the magazine peeps. How much does an oil change cost you. I know the filters are $10, and you have $.50 in washers. The shop I worked at ended up getting north of $300. I think we charged 1.5 hours labor ($125/hr) plus 18 quarts of mobile 1. What's the DIY version come to?

Woody
11/8/12 9:34 p.m.

I think they take 14 quarts at overhaul. I put in 9 and then top off as it disperses. I don't think it ever takes 12 on a change.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
11/8/12 10:01 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: 964 is the last oil cooled one right? I just know I think I would want one with the g50 and not the weirder older box

Actually, I kinda prefer the older (901???) box, where 1st is actually outta the berkeleying way.

Woody
11/8/12 10:03 p.m.

I agree. Putting first and reverse next to each other is a bad idea.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
11/9/12 7:00 a.m.

I love the 901 box. Nice light feel and unique shift pattern. I also agree about the owners. Most PCA types way too impressed with themselves. I tried for 10 years but just never fit in with them.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/9/12 7:06 a.m.

I know there is little love for the water cooled cars, but I still lust after this one passing by it every day...

http://www.princetonlotus.com/ViewContemporary.aspx?id=418

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/9/12 8:51 a.m.

Yeah, those rear air filter clips are a pain in the butt. If the car didn't have a/c, things would be easier. That greased-up forearm trick really does work, though.

octavious
octavious Reader
11/9/12 9:13 a.m.

I usually do a filter and about 10 qts of oil. I have an aftermarket Mocal front cooler.

From a guy who never turned a wrench until he had a 911 I can tell you they are pretty easy to work on. Heck, the only reason I started wrenching on it was because I couldn't afford the $300 oil changes. Lots a people seem to think they can't wrench on a 911 because it is so complicated. Take it from me, its as easy as working on a VW, it just has a couple more cylinders. Wait that's not true I've never had to deal with distributor points on a 911, so that makes the 911 easier to work on...

But for me, I've done motor drops and swaps, replaced torsion bars, replaced wheel bearings, valve adjustments, install of the external oil cooler and lines, removed the a/c and all the plumbing, interior stuff, and all the regular maintenance that goes with owning a 30+ year old car.

The good thing about these cars is that there are tons of people who love them and want to work on them. And there is a wealth of knowledge out there in print and on the internet.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
11/9/12 9:24 a.m.

After watching urban outlaw it really made me want an old 911, plus GRM letting me know they are pretty affordable. Hope the prices stay the same for a few years when I would be ready to buy one.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
11/9/12 11:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, those rear air filter clips are a pain in the butt. If the car didn't have a/c, things would be easier. That greased-up forearm trick really does work, though.

That's why everybody should keep a significant other around that has skinnier arms than them. "Honey, I need you to put this lube on then put your hand down in this really awkward spot. No, not there, I'm talking about on the car!"

Bryce

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/9/12 11:29 a.m.
octavious wrote: I usually do a filter and about 10 qts of oil. I have an aftermarket Mocal front cooler. From a guy who never turned a wrench until he had a 911 I can tell you they are pretty easy to work on. Heck, the only reason I started wrenching on it was because I couldn't afford the $300 oil changes. Lots a people seem to think they can't wrench on a 911 because it is so complicated. Take it from me, its as easy as working on a VW, it just has a couple more cylinders. Wait that's not true I've never had to deal with distributor points on a 911, so that makes the 911 easier to work on... But for me, I've done motor drops and swaps, replaced torsion bars, replaced wheel bearings, valve adjustments, install of the external oil cooler and lines, removed the a/c and all the plumbing, interior stuff, and all the regular maintenance that goes with owning a 30+ year old car. The good thing about these cars is that there are tons of people who love them and want to work on them. And there is a wealth of knowledge out there in print and on the internet.

Exactly, it is just a car. There are a few on the road and they are all the same. Just because it is a Porsche doesn't make it any different then the family truckster in the driveway.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/9/12 12:39 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Ok, I always lusted after a 911, I almost bought a 911, then a 912 10 or so years ago. Still wanted one. Then I worked on them professionally. The cars weren't terrible to work on (except those air filter clips!!!). The issue for the most part was the terrifically haughty attitude of the majority of the owners I dealt with. Oh man it drove me nuts. That totally killed the romance with the car. Then I started reading the project articles. It just seems like such a great car to live with. Simple, quick, good looking. Dang you GRM.

I never let stereotypes, typical owner attitues, or anything like that impact my buying decisions....if I did I would have missed out on a lot of cool stuff.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/9/12 1:16 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
DrBoost wrote: Ok, I always lusted after a 911, I almost bought a 911, then a 912 10 or so years ago. Still wanted one. Then I worked on them professionally. The cars weren't terrible to work on (except those air filter clips!!!). The issue for the most part was the terrifically haughty attitude of the majority of the owners I dealt with. Oh man it drove me nuts. That totally killed the romance with the car. Then I started reading the project articles. It just seems like such a great car to live with. Simple, quick, good looking. Dang you GRM.
I never let stereotypes, typical owner attitues, or anything like that impact my buying decisions....if I did I would have missed out on a lot of cool stuff.

Yeah I know. I'm not usually that kind of guy, but these guys were such DB's that when I'd see another 911 roll onto the lot we'd all kinda sigh. Then it got to the point where I'd see one on the road and wonder/assume he's a prick too. I know, it's wrong but man, the conditioning was strong haha.
But, to bust stereotypes wide open, I think every BMW owner I met was a real cool guy.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/9/12 1:32 p.m.

I want one too. I'm just waiting for Woody to grow tired of his and sell it to me.

Woody
11/9/12 5:20 p.m.

I took mine for a ride a few hours before the snow started falling. Damn, I love that car!

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
11/9/12 5:37 p.m.

After a couple 3.2s I'm getting tempted to go for an unloved one (74-77) out of curiosity.

Woody
11/9/12 5:40 p.m.

I've been having similar thoughts. I like the narrow fenders and the funky interiors.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/12 6:19 p.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote: After watching urban outlaw it really made me want an old 911, plus GRM letting me know they are pretty affordable. Hope the prices stay the same for a few years when I would be ready to buy one.

I think David bought his at just about the perfect time. Prices have not been standing still over the past few years. I still think back to that 1988 that was for sale in town at the time I bought the E39 M5...but then I drive the BMW and my regret goes away.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/10/12 12:12 p.m.

Glad you guys are digging it. On a related note, HSR is racing here at Daytona this weekend, and while at the track yesterday I met a reader who's running a 1989 Carrera: factory blue paint, Turbo Fuchs, Hoosiers, Carrera rear spoiler, Bilsteins, IROC fiberglass front and rear bumpers, cage, race seat and maybe a few other small things. The car is relatively simple but looks great. And sounds like he's have fun, too.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/10/12 12:36 p.m.

Any pics David?

Woody
11/10/12 9:14 p.m.

David,

I just read the article and made note of the bit about the headlight relay.

You may be interested in learning about a similar relay kit for the brake light switches. The switches are known for failing frequently and a lot of owners don't notice it until someone points out the fact that they have no brake lights. That's what happened to me on the way to Lime Rock one day.

I ordered the relay kit and replaced the two switches. Rather than order the Porsche switches, I searched the part number and discovered that it was the same switch that was used in late 50's VW Bugs. I found them in stock at Advance Auto for about six bucks.

Switches:

Porsche Part Number: 113-945-515G-M323

VW Part Number:

vwc-113-945-515-g 3prong

vwc-113-945-515-h 2prong

I can't remember if I needed the two prong or three, but it's easy to check before you buy them.

There's a guy on Pelican who goes by DRACO A5OG who sells the relay kit.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/405303-brake-lights.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f45SXxelhmJPHrXVgp8n5PEc5PMHYDIzJsl7JANVqBxaUIYz16j6uzQajcPbiA8A