1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/14 8:55 p.m.

These kits were popular back in the late 80's, but you don't see many of them anymore. I kind of wanted a Chalon back then. This one looks like a Rayco.

Not mine, etc...

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/4740507912.html

1974 Porsche 914 in very good condition. Professional Mechanical upgrades including an engine rebuild about 7 years ago, but car only driven a few thousand miles since then. Approximately 65000 miles on car. It has the 4 cylinder 1.8 liter motor upgraded with twin Weber carbs. Starts, idles, drives fine. Handles excellently. 916 body kit done professionally. No rust. 860-961-6087

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/14 9:38 p.m.

I never liked the kits.. I liked the 914 just the way it came from the factory..

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
11/10/14 9:52 p.m.

Ahhyupyup, that's just what the 916 looks like.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/10/14 10:05 p.m.

I prefer the looks of a stock 914 as well.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/10/14 10:16 p.m.

OK, I'll admit it; I wanted a slant nose 914 in the worst way when I was in Jr. High. Now, not so much. The looks of the stock 916 are pretty sweet.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/10/14 10:28 p.m.

I like both slant and non slant.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
11/10/14 10:49 p.m.

Interesting. I just saw a caged and flared 914 (looked like a track rat) on the way home from work today! Rarely see them driven anymore.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/11/14 6:25 a.m.

I'd hit it, but I have low standards.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
11/11/14 9:49 a.m.

A 916, or more realistically a converted 914, is on my short list of someday-cars. When I was over in Germany, 7 of them stopped at the food stand I was at, and all of them were basically like-new. It was incredible, and I've been looking for a decent one ever since.

Along with about 20 other cars haha. I can dream, right?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/14 9:54 a.m.

Chalon 914 Slantnose:

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/14 10:03 a.m.

A picture of a silver 916 on the cover of Road & Track got me into sports cars. I remember them complaining "...if your fenders are only going to be four inches wide, why have them at all". Now all cars have those.

At least I think it was R&T that said that...

The bigger real Porsche wheels and flares make a huge difference.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/11/14 10:05 a.m.

I like everything in this thread.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/11/14 12:11 p.m.
Woody wrote: It has the 4 cylinder 1.8 liter motor upgraded with twin Weber carbs.

I have yet to see how switching from fuel injection to carbs is an upgrade. I read that as "I couldn't figure out how to fix the FI so I bolted some carbs to it". Don't even get me started on single Webers added to VW Type 3s.

Winston
Winston HalfDork
11/11/14 12:19 p.m.

Woody, here's a Chalon kit for you:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4728110378.html

The car has been for sale on the Houston CL FOREVER... the guy has been re-posting it for at least a year. IIRC, it started out around $8k; looks like we're under $4k now, and accepting cash offers :) Still not cheap enough for my taste, since I'm not a big fan of the kit.

mad_machine
11/11/14 12:20 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
Woody wrote: It has the 4 cylinder 1.8 liter motor upgraded with twin Weber carbs.
I have yet to see how switching from fuel injection to carbs is an upgrade. I read that as "I couldn't figure out how to fix the FI so I bolted some carbs to it". Don't even get me started on single Webers added to VW Type 3s.

Depends on the Mods.. the K and L jet do not take well to high compression and large cam overlaps.. especially the L Jetronic on the 1.8. It was notorious for backfiring and blowing up the airbox.

If you want to keep it injected.. keep the hardware and go aftermarket on the computer

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
11/11/14 12:29 p.m.
Woody wrote: Chalon 914 Slantnose:

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
11/11/14 12:38 p.m.

Another sweet ride !

Man, have you noticed how many cars are on the market this Fall for WAY short money ? ! ? ! ?

It's like my "dream" cars are all coming true at prices that I can now afford. EVERYTHING is selling for half price these days.

Might be a good time to jump back into 914s, although it's gonna be a hard Winter, might be better to wait for a few heating bills to come due or a few husbands to have heart attacks while shoveling, prices are BOUND to drop even more. But then again, wait 'til after nothing sold during the Winter, and scoop something up then. The biggest trick is to not die . . . then everything comes to you it seems.

Out last. Out Play.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
11/11/14 12:40 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Rarely see them driven anymore.

I think they are too low to drive in normal traffic anymore.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
11/11/14 12:41 p.m.

"I think they are too low to drive in normal traffic anymore."

Nope, not at all !

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/11/14 1:31 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

Yes please. I was just talking to the wife last week about how a Porsche is just about the only car I'd consider owning in a brown color. I was thinking of the 930 matchbox car I had back in the day, but I'd take this wee beastie in a heartbeat. Did 914s come in this same brown color? Seems like I typically see orange, lime green or some other 70's 'safety color', but not brown.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/11/14 1:41 p.m.

Damn you all for rekindling my severe want of a 914.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/11/14 1:47 p.m.
Winston wrote: Woody, here's a Chalon kit for you: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4728110378.html The car has been for sale on the Houston CL FOREVER... the guy has been re-posting it for at least a year. IIRC, it started out around $8k; looks like we're under $4k now, and accepting cash offers :) Still not cheap enough for my taste, since I'm not a big fan of the kit.

I like that. Will have to check it out next time I'm in the area.

mad_machine
11/11/14 2:25 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to mblommel: Yes please. I was just talking to the wife last week about how a Porsche is just about the only car I'd consider owning in a brown color. I was thinking of the 930 matchbox car I had back in the day, but I'd take this wee beastie in a heartbeat. Did 914s come in this same brown color? Seems like I typically see orange, lime green or some other 70's 'safety color', but not brown.

Mine was yellow...

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/11/14 3:18 p.m.

I dislike slant nose porsches entirely.....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/11/14 3:22 p.m.

Try doing more cocaine. Then re-evaluate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JO9crPzGpBkuh1sDsbVOuynhY4L7uRvsZWQfzi5wsChxQzqqW65qf94BcC1oA4dX