1 2 3 4 5 6
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/18 7:16 a.m.
RossD said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

By an el cheapo C4 and install a Jag V12 and blow peoples' minds.

Nooooooooooo

C4 looks uglier and the interior is uglier than the xjs. Im pretty sure the c4 engine bay is just as small if not smaller. Plus you can find XJS's for the same price or cheaper in matching condition. 

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
7/27/18 8:45 a.m.

I love that we've got a 4 page thread going about a car that hasn't yet been bought, even before the seller has responded to messages about buying it!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/18 8:55 a.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

I love that we've got a 4 page thread going about a car that hasn't yet been bought, even before the seller has responded to messages about buying it!

I mean the OP is the one who bought a 50+ year old bus and drove it like 1200 miles home in rough condition. We expect big things from him.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/27/18 8:58 a.m.
yupididit said:
RossD said:

Nooooooooooo

C4 looks uglier and the interior is uglier than the xjs. Im pretty sure the c4 engine bay is just as small if not smaller. Plus you can find XJS's for the same price or cheaper in matching condition. 

Don't worry, the steering rack is going to be in the way of a V12, since it sits just in front of the crankshaft pulley on the V8. Still it would be fun to see Vette owners reaction to a Jag V12 in there.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/27/18 9:08 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:
yupididit said:
RossD said:

Nooooooooooo

Don't worry, the steering rack is going to be in the way of a V12, since it sits just in front of the crankshaft pulley on the V8. Still it would be fun to see Vette owners reaction to a Jag V12 in there.

GM already did a v12 in a C4 vette. I have seen exactly 1 of them and it was at the corvette museum.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/18 9:15 a.m.

I think jags of that era look great, ive eyed a 85 xj6 vanden plas thats been hanging around my local craigslist for a long time.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/27/18 9:49 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Turboeric said:

I had an Series 2 XJ12L in my foolish youth. 4 Zenith Strombergs and a single radiator unit that encompassed the coolant, the trans congrats , the oil cooler and the A/C condensor. Oddly enough, it overheated all the time. Re and re on the rad was listed at 8 hours! The engine compartment was so tightly packed that if you dropped a tool, you'd never see it again. I swear they must have dropped the engine in from 8 feet up to get it to wedge in there! The battery had its own cooling fan - nuf said.

Overheating when it happens everyone thinks it’s the fault of the radiator.  Never is!  The problem is ignition timing!  Yep!  If you read the owners manual it tells you to oil the distributor.  

The overheating problem could have been fixed with a few drops of oil. There is no oil path to the distributor. So the advance mechanism freezes up, the timing is off and overheating occurs.  That simple!  

As far as crowded engine compartment,  yes it is.   It can be dealt with by getting rid of everything not needed to make power.  The Air Conditioning hides a really good looking engine. The stock Lucas alternator is 3 times bigger than it needs to be. The air pump is a by product of pollution laws made worse by their solutions. 

This is the early days of solving pollution issues. The first solutions aren’t always the best or most efficient.  

Today there are small, elegant,  efficient, replacements for the mess under the hood.  That would revel just how beautiful that engine is. 

PS that is the last Jaguar designed by Sir William Lyons.  Look at the beautiful curves and elegant lines of that really classic looking car.  Not bad for. 4 door sedan.  

The initial design and shape was done by malcom sayer but he passed away in 1970 so it was finished by the jaguar design team.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
7/27/18 10:21 a.m.

Frenchy (or other gurus), can I ask a clarifying question about rust?

You said, "[Check] The trailing arm mount for the rear suspension.  If those rear floor boards have rust holes around the mount don’t bother trying to save the car."

Does that apply to the XJS coupes, the XJ sedans, or both of them?

Thanks!

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/27/18 11:00 a.m.

I'll just leave this here.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/18 12:05 p.m.

I like Miatas alright I guess but that is a waste of that beautiful engine.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 12:07 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

Frenchy (or other gurus), can I ask a clarifying question about rust?

You said, "[Check] The trailing arm mount for the rear suspension.  If those rear floor boards have rust holes around the mount don’t bother trying to save the car."

Does that apply to the XJS coupes, the XJ sedans, or both of them?

Thanks!

The basic parts are pretty interchangeable  between the Sedan and the XJS. 

Unless they are really special and you don’t mind either doing hundreds of hours of rust repairs or paying to it done any Jaguar with  dodgy rear suspension mounts is questionable and if there is blistering around the windshield no question not worth it.  

I’m not talking about surface rust.  I’m talking about metal rusted too thin to weld. Or big holes of rust. 

I’ ve used a rusty chassis Jaguar to make a race car but Since is was going to be for LeMons racing I just lined  things up and welded patches without a care about how it looked.  That only took me a few days to do. 

Right now there is a early XJ12 sedan for sale for $600 near Chicago  that you could probably get for 1/2 of that that looks solid.  Very nice interior,  actually a restoration candidate.  I paid $500 for an absolutely rust free Southern California XJS WITH A NEW MEGA SQUIRT so they are out there.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/27/18 12:10 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Right now there is a early XJ12 sedan for sale for $600 near Chicago  that you could probably get for 1/2 of that that looks solid.  Very nice interior,  actually a restoration candidate.  

Link? or just on CL?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/27/18 12:36 p.m.

With the 7" engine compartment stretch, I wonder if that would fit in the Molvo?

If I recall, that V12 Miata never actually got finished, did it?

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 12:46 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
frenchyd said:
Turboeric said:

I had an Series 2 XJ12L in my foolish youth. 4 Zenith Strombergs and a single radiator unit that encompassed the coolant, the trans congrats , the oil cooler and the A/C condensor. Oddly enough, it overheated all the time. Re and re on the rad was listed at 8 hours! The engine compartment was so tightly packed that if you dropped a tool, you'd never see it again. I swear they must have dropped the engine in from 8 feet up to get it to wedge in there! The battery had its own cooling fan - nuf said.

Overheating when it happens everyone thinks it’s the fault of the radiator.  Never is!  The problem is ignition timing!  Yep!  If you read the owners manual it tells you to oil the distributor.  

The overheating problem could have been fixed with a few drops of oil. There is no oil path to the distributor. So the advance mechanism freezes up, the timing is off and overheating occurs.  That simple!  

As far as crowded engine compartment,  yes it is.   It can be dealt with by getting rid of everything not needed to make power.  The Air Conditioning hides a really good looking engine. The stock Lucas alternator is 3 times bigger than it needs to be. The air pump is a by product of pollution laws made worse by their solutions. 

This is the early days of solving pollution issues. The first solutions aren’t always the best or most efficient.  

Today there are small, elegant,  efficient, replacements for the mess under the hood.  That would revel just how beautiful that engine is. 

PS that is the last Jaguar designed by Sir William Lyons.  Look at the beautiful curves and elegant lines of that really classic looking car.  Not bad for. 4 door sedan.  

The initial design and shape was done by malcom sayer but he passed away in 1970 so it was finished by the jaguar design team.

While I love Malcom Sayers work, as an aerodynamic engineer. it took Sir Lyons  eye to develop.   His eye made all the difference

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 1:11 p.m.
pres589 said:

Curious how the white car with the dozen little stacks was set up as far as induction, spark etc.  Basically, how did they set it up to run reliably?  

They eliminated the pollution “stuff” and HVAC . Then made sure all the wiring had solid grounds. Replaced the vacuum hoses and water hoses.   

Stripped out excess weight, that’s about 1200 pounds.   Put those big Corvette wheels on and flared the fenders.  

What they should have done is richened up the fuel mixture because under light throttle loads the fuel stratifies and gets real lean.  As a result it blew head gaskets and it took them a while to swap headgaskets.  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 1:16 p.m.
81cpcamaro said:
yupididit said:
RossD said:

Nooooooooooo

Maybe not. You can chop one belt off a V12 and the length from the back of the casting to the front is 31 inches 

from my foggy memory that’s not a whole lot longer than a small block to the front of its pulley  I’ll double check that when I get home tonight if you’d like. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Robbie : I’m sorry I don’t know how to do a link and I don’t think it’s on Craigslist  

its on the Jaguar XJS XJ12 enthusiasts website  on Facebook decent pictures too!  Hang on I’ll look for the date  

July 14 Robert Frazer 1975 Jaguar XJ12 sedan $600 

The cool thing is it will have the early heads which are much better than the later HE heads. Plus the early fuel injection or 4 carbs. 

The bad thing is it will have that stupid Borg Warner transmission.  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 2:18 p.m.
NOHOME said:

With the 7" engine compartment stretch, I wonder if that would fit in the Molvo?

If I recall, that V12 Miata never actually got finished, did it?

There is a U tube video of one in Australia on the race track. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/18 2:27 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Robbie : I’m sorry I don’t know how to do a link and I don’t think it’s on Craigslist  

its on the Jaguar XJS XJ12 enthusiasts website  on Facebook decent pictures too!  Hang on I’ll look for the date  

July 14 Robert Frazer 1975 Jaguar XJ12 sedan $600 

The cool thing is it will have the early heads which are much better than the later HE heads. Plus the early fuel injection or 4 carbs. 

The bad thing is it will have that stupid Borg Warner transmission.  

You see the address uptop on the page, copy it then paste it here. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/18 2:50 p.m.

It's such a pretty body. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/27/18 2:58 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I really hope you get that, at a minimum I can pick up information from your experience and knowledge and maybe I can help you avoid some mistakes and wrong approaches.  

For example,  switching from Lucas to Delco seems a reasonable and practical solution to issues with sensors.  

But I was running through sources and solutions in my head and realized the MAF input on most cars are a single source. With a Jaguar  it’s  two.  How to solve that conflict?  

I’ll study the Jaguar manuals to see if I can find  a clue as to how to deal with dual inputs.  

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/27/18 4:50 p.m.

I think you solve that with a Megasquirt or you go back to carbs, right?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/18 8:24 p.m.

Well crap, he apparently still has it.

I got a message with a phone number. I'll give him a call tomorrow and possibly go look at it Sunday. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/18 9:16 p.m.

IMO, if an engine needs so much "anti pollution stuff" that it becomes a nightmare of unreliability, then it has no place in the world.

And this is speaking as someone who plays with rotaries.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kM8qWXeVdxQhrcEAQgCB6EgYipLohJ4ssPaF1Gxv8TsJVrnybRLeesx5kSE8LLXE