It's such a pretty body. 

I wish it ran.

"Maybe it's humidity."

" .... England is humid."

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/28/18 2:42 a.m.
Knurled. said:

IMO, if an engine needs so much "anti pollution stuff" that it becomes a nightmare of unreliability, then it has no place in the world.

And this is speaking as someone who plays with rotaries.

In 1971 Jaguar introduced it’s V12. An engine developed on a budget so tiny as to be petty cash for an American car company. Their volume some years was under 1000 units sold. 

Yet they had to conform to the same rules as GM and Ford.  While selling at a price less than 1/3 of what other V12 engines sold for.  

The pollution systems they came up with while also  being an early developer of Fuel injection suffered from the same issues later GM, Ford, Chrysler vehicles did. In the 1980’s and 90’s car fires became so common place they were called Car-B-Ques. 

Decades later you’re looking back through the eyes of history and telling them they should have known? 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/28/18 3:52 a.m.
pres589 said:

I think you solve that with a Megasquirt or you go back to carbs, right?

Will a Mega Squirt  accept input from two intake sources? 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/28/18 7:16 a.m.

There are V12 Jags running Megasquirt.  Not sure what you mean by two intake sources, but two trigger sources can be combined and used, or it can probably be set up to just use one.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/18 10:41 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/28/18 12:04 p.m.
crankwalk said:

The sounds!

thats so sweet sounding.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/28/18 3:35 p.m.
Knurled. said:

if an engine needs so much "anti pollution stuff" that it becomes a nightmare of unreliability

That statement would have applied to just about every domestic and foreign vehicle sold in the US in the mid to late 70s...they had to start somewhere.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/28/18 8:09 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

There are V12 Jags running Megasquirt.  Not sure what you mean by two intake sources, but two trigger sources can be combined and used, or it can probably be set up to just use one.

Thank you. Jaguar uses two air intakes, one on either side of the engine.    Side A and side B. 

On  a Jaguar  the only thing that connects both sides is the mechanical throttle linkage.  

Every other engine uses just one . From little 4 cylinders to 700 horsepower supercharged V8’s 

I see the potential for conflicting signals. Imagine one cylinder isn’t working on side A.  The signal input would differ from side to side.   Whereas on any other engine with one throttle the signal strength would adjust to the slightly weaker input and everything would be fine

Maybe  I’m overthinking this? That the computer would measure 11 cylinders operating and adjust accordingly?  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/28/18 10:00 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Modern standalone ecu's can do a lot. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/29/18 5:16 a.m.
Knurled. said:

IMO, if an engine needs so much "anti pollution stuff" that it becomes a nightmare of unreliability, then it has no place in the world.

And this is speaking as someone who plays with rotaries.

Early solutions to pollution issues turned out to be not the best ones. Not just Jaguar, every company!  

Are you looking at history and saying they should have known better?  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/29/18 8:14 a.m.
pres589 said:

I think you solve that with a Megasquirt or you go back to carbs, right?

Since I understand carbs, it’s my fall back.  Rebuilding a SU, Stromberg, or Weber is kids play for me.  Holley is easy enough if I can find the parts, Quadrajet takes a little more time but still doable.  

Mechanical Fuel injection like Hilborn is rolling off a log and even early 1957-1965Corvette stuff is straight forward. 

EFI ? Well I’ve replaced sensors injectors and pumps. Easy enough. But creating a whole new system and then modifying it to run properly?  

That’s a stretch for a 70 year old guy.  I’ll probably do it  just to stretch my brain but I sure wish I had someone to dope slap me when I start to run around in circles  because of something simple.  

Isn’t like the  linkage on a Quadrajet where it will only go together in a certain order to work properly. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/29/18 8:31 a.m.

Two actual air intake paths then.  The only thing that would affect is the engine load measurement.  The Megasquirt can be set up to use about anything.  Do the two sides share a common vacuum?  Either way, you could just take the vacuum from anywhere, left, right or common and feed that to the MAP sensor to get engine load.  Or plumb the two intakes together and run a MAF sensor, or don't use either and use Alpha-N mapping, which is just throttle position and RPM based, which is what I run ont he Sportster and what I ran on the 4AGE 20 valve (individual throttle bodies, vacuum signal is useless.)  If you are only running 11 cylinders, no, it's not going to correct for that.  I don't think any EFI system will.  You need to fix that missing cylinder, not hide it with EFI.  I also recommend the dual MAP approach so you get barometric correction.

Google up some jag v12 megasquirt and see what people are doing with it.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/29/18 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Thank you I went on the site and they immediately terrified me talking about the benefit of sequential injectors resting at 18000 rpm ( nope I didn’t get an extra zero)  

Lot of focus  on the distributor how modern cars •••••  But that involves a whole new ignition system and creating a trigger wheel etc.  seems like more a focus on what is possible or can be done and very little on the  real benefits.  I realize modern tuners like to key stroke everything.  But just get it running and then do all the creative stuff. Find out if it nets real power increases and at what cost.  

they also said a single source wouldn’t work well that I need to replace the card with one for dual source.   At least someone sells  one.  

I “enjoyed” the first few guys who spoke about “ when I get my V12 running we’ll have  4.”   But that was 8 years ago. 

I’ll keep reading and maybe by the time I catch up it will be relatively  straight forward.  

Oh, there is no common vacuum path between banks. Not that you couldn’t do a T and make one.  However I think that’s why someone created that dual card.  

Thanks again for the heads up on that site. Once I digest it completely it should make me more confident. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/18 8:26 a.m.

I procrastinated long enough. It has sold. 

There is a running, driving example local to me for $2800 though...

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/30/18 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 : I’m trying to stay abreast of Jaguar pricing but at $2800 unless it’s a desirable post 1992 I think it’s someone  who is over priced. Well the few pre 1992 convertibles  might command that price. 

Toyman01
7/30/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's interesting. Everything within 100 miles of me is twice that. Several of them are north of $10k

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
7/30/18 1:57 p.m.

Two air intakes, I think it used two basically separate injection systems, one for each bank. 

It would look like a true work of art, converted to carbs, the linkage would be interesting.  Would need 6 twin throat carbs, just how awesome would that be.....

yupididit
7/30/18 2:33 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman01 : I’m trying to stay abreast of Jaguar pricing but at $2800 unless it’s a desirable post 1992 I think it’s someone  who is over priced. Well the few pre 1992 convertibles  might command that price. 

That seems normal for a running coupe that's not super nice. I don't know where you're looking for cars Frenchy, but that is what I've seen. Hell, people tend to want more for a running one. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/30/18 2:45 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I had a conversation with a few of the members of the local Jaguar club. Their estimate that had I sold  my ABSOLUTELY RUST FREE SOUTHERN California XJS  after fixing the seam on one seat and other minor things I’d be very lucky to get $2500 but $2000 was more realistic. 

At those numbers it didn’t seem worth it and it’s become the race car. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/30/18 2:50 p.m.

Prices are on their way up.

Here's my local CLs results: https://appleton.craigslist.org/search/cta?auto_make_model=xjs

More cars asking above $10k than below $5k out of 10 cars.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/30/18 3:46 p.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

Two air intakes, I think it used two basically separate injection systems, one for each bank. 

It would look like a true work of art, converted to carbs, the linkage would be interesting.  Would need 6 twin throat carbs, just how awesome would that be.....o

6 dual throat Weber’s has been done to death.  They are wonderful eye candy  but extremely expensive.  Plus just by themselves they don’t make that much extra horsepower.  After  I bought the carbs and manifolds I had to buy a complete set of jets and air-correction meters etc.    in fact I bought three setsI’ then when the engine went on and off the dyno  I bought even more.  

I’d like to say the jetting and air correction  etc. is well known but the fact is nearly every one I’ve had my hands on ( including my own)  is different.       Throttle linkage is pretty much the same as the Factory 4 Strombergs just more carbs. All the throttle shafts line up and are connected in the center of the engine. In fact you can use the fuel injection linkage to transfer the pedal motion to the required motion needed to operate the carbs. 

The stock 4  carbs will flow 800 CFM  while the fuel injection flows 1200 CFM. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/30/18 5:02 p.m.
 are on their way up.I  lre's my local CLs results: https://appleton.craigslist.org/search/cta?auto_make_model=xj

More cars asking above $10k than below $5https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/cam-choice/141059/page4/#replyk out of 10 cars.

As I said Post Jaguar’s ownership by Ford there is a new found interest  in owning the XJS. People believe it will follow the price trend set by the XKE. 

Pre Ford ownership  the company was not in a good position and GM  looked at buying it.  However after doing their due dilegemce GM realized the only thing of real value was the New six cylinder which GM took to settle the unpaid transmission bills 

At the 11th hour Ford came charging in and made a really impressive offer for the Jaguar name.  Then spent hundreds of millions of dollars updating and improving Jaguar.  

Cars built before Ford’s ownership lack all that and savy buyers know it.  

As for using Craigslist  asking price as a basis for calculating prices, I’m not sure that’s smart. 

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I’d love to sell mine for the prices they are asking.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/30/18 5:05 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You have an email requesting that you take a voluntary 2 week break from the forum. If you have questions about that please respond to the email or PM me directly. If we see any further posts from you during the next two weeks, you may be banned from the forum. 

Toyman01
7/31/18 12:57 p.m.

Well, it turns out the $2800 running car, doesn't actually run. It just needs a fuel pump or relay or some undefined minor part. 

I expanded my search some. Anything under $5k just stopped running. Anything under $3k quit a month or two ago. Anything under $1k is rusty. 

But, the $800 one is back on the market so...

yupididit
7/31/18 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

DO IT

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ta3R9B0ejmkECFUe7xpdJs9nc06MQVYgeHOTpn820xXz3xMmOWUVktdKjPER5BMW