David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/17 10:32 a.m.

Are we into motorcycles, too? Of course. We don’t write much about them, but we recently spent some time with three BMW bikes: the S 1000 RR, R NINE T and F 800 GS Adventure. How good were they? Good enough that we figured we should spread the word.

Our favorite was probably the S 1000 RR, the sport bike …

Read the rest of the story

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/14/17 10:51 a.m.

30 years ago, Suzuki introduced the GSXR 1100 and I bought the first one available. I had ten years experience roadracing bikes and wanted to move up from the 550's and the 750 Interceptor. My first laps at Texas World, I realized that I no longer recognized the racetrack. It was just awesome and I eventually came to grips with it but it was hard, scary work.

One of the magazines put one on a dyno. 92 hp at the wheel.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/17 10:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: —cars like the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S, the awesome hot-hatch Fiesta ST, and even the iconic 3.2-liter Porsche 911. In this bike’s case, that horsepower only has to lug around 450 pounds plus riders.

Fixed that for ya.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
2/14/17 11:06 a.m.

Funny they chose not to send their flagship and best seller R1200GS over for you guys to ride instead of the F800. I guess maybe they don't need more exposure to sell those.

You guys should try the S1000R and S1000XR if you loved the RR's motor but are getting a little long in the tooth for having the shifter located somewhere back near the rear axle They offer a seating position for grown-ups :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sWqwGUQW3NMCGaffkfEigo0AezVDfZq8eaEHjYiz18z2QuNJpNU1wPllAcEStGP0