1 2 3 4
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
3/8/24 12:29 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Thanks, that's a comment that I was going to make too since Rivian can't seem to make a vehicle at cost, let alone at a profit yet.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/24 12:44 p.m.

They made a significant running change in the R1T just recently that cut the component cost dramatically. Not a decontenting, but an optimization. I think the plan was to get the plants rolling first. So their cost per vehicle is coming down, and hopefully the R2/R3 will be designed from the start for manufacturability.

It's tough launching a new car company from scratch. Massive capital investment is required, and you've gotta scrape through a choke point where you're still investing but production hasn't scaled up yet. Tesla only barely made it through. Lucid is using Saudi oil money to make it happen. I'm rooting for Rivian as I like where the company is aiming.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 12:51 p.m.

For those who are interested in the financial side of Rivian, here's a really good summary video:

Motley Fool summary of Rivian

That video was made 2 weeks ago. BEFORE they announced shutting down the new plant.

It looks bad. I don't see how they will ramp up production in their existing plant.  Meanwhile, sales are flat-lined, they are cutting their staff, adding debt, and burning through cash like crazy.

It also fails to address the Amazon factor.  Amazon was their largest customer (by FAR), but is also their largest shareholder.  They have cut their orders.  That's another bad sign.

RX3 may only be a lovely dream.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Their losses per vehicle have come down. They are still projecting zero profits per vehicle throughout the entire year of 2024.  

R. J. Scaringe is a brilliant engineer. One of the best.  But it looks like he really needs a bean counter.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/8/24 12:58 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

I think this is the hot ev hatch y'all are clamoring for.

Depends if it comes with the current version of the ID software or not. Because my brief experience with it was "Nevermind, I didn't want a VW product" levels of bad.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/24 1:07 p.m.
SV reX said:

Their losses per vehicle have come down. They are still projecting zero profits per vehicle throughout the entire year of 2024.  

R. J. Scaringe is a brilliant engineer. One of the best.  But it looks like he really needs a bean counter.

One article I saw this morning posited that Apple may become a strategic investor - or complete owner. They are sitting on $41 billion in cash and recently announced they were ending their internal attempt to build a car.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

That would be interesting. 

Rivian's stock is down 90%. Apple may smell a bargain. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I'm not sure I buy that rumor.

Apple scrapped the AppleCar after spending billions and years of research and development. They know something we don't know. 

It doesn't seem to make sense for them to spend an additional $12 billion just so they can have a nice car when they just flushed that much money.

I think they'll continue to put their money into AI.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/24 1:46 p.m.

I like what I have seen of Rivians products. I would like to see them succeed.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/8/24 2:04 p.m.

After stewing on this overnight, this thing might be the EV that finally makes me buy one. I've been on the fence with EVs for a while, since I have a long, tough commute, and I haven't really liked any of the EV offerings out there currently enough to actually want one.

But this one is different somehow. I love the looks, I'm OK with the size, and the range/features are likely enough to compete with other daily drivers I've been looking at. It's a long way out, and a lot can happen in a couple years, but I'm pulling for Rivian to be successful. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/8/24 2:35 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Correction: Apple is sitting on 162 billion in cash. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/24 3:40 p.m.

I like the stock ride height and the green color.

The 110 wheelbase is about the same as my 4th Generation 4 Runner. The lack of overhangs make it seem like it'll be a bit shorter.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/8/24 3:49 p.m.
prodarwin said:

I like a lot of things about this, but at a 110in wheelbase I suspect the scale will be comically different than hot hatches of the past (and present) and even after lowering it will be quite tall/large.

While technically it may be a (very) hot hatch, for some reason I equate hot hatch with smaller cars.

Excited for an R4x though! 

So it sort of looks like a Dodge Omni on an A-body Dart wheelbase.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
3/8/24 4:57 p.m.

I'm very impressed with a friend's R1T, amazingly capable, I hope Rivian make it.  I could see myself in one of these new models if I ever get another car (don't need one at this time, and I'm 78, so who knows?) it could serve well as one vehicle that does everything I need in the future (not counting my MR2 and Vette).  Rich for my general attitude, but for the years I have left, who knows?

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/8/24 5:25 p.m.

Saw this on FB, obviously photoshopped or AI:

Keith Tanner
3/8/24 5:40 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

Thedrive also made Gremlin comments. I don't see it at all. Lots of other hatchbacks - Golf Country being the closest - but not a single Gremlin thing.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/8/24 5:42 p.m.

I agree, the profile reminds me of an early Rabbit. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/24 10:46 p.m.

The gremlin thing comes from the position of the headlights to the fenders. And their shape while not round are close enough. Especially in light of the that image above that's rounded them off.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/24 11:55 p.m.

The R3X Looks good from the rear and side. Front is ugly due to the "signature" Rivian headlights. The Gremlin render is great and helps with the headlight issue.

dyintorace
3/9/24 7:01 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

The R3X Looks good from the rear and side. Front is ugly due to the "signature" Rivian headlights. The Gremlin render is great and helps with the headlight issue.

Agreed. I wish the headlights had shown up different on the R3x. 

dyintorace
3/9/24 7:01 a.m.

Here's another render.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/24 6:32 p.m.

I've always thought Rivian was destined to be gobbled up by Ford in order to get people to purchase Ford stock before they do so and to find the purchase. I just hope that Ford doesn't strip the R&D and features developed for them. Rivian and Polestar are two of my 5 favorite automotive manufacturers at this point.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/11/24 7:35 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I've always thought Rivian was destined to be gobbled up by Ford in order to get people to purchase Ford stock before they do so and to find the purchase. I just hope that Ford doesn't strip the R&D and features developed for them. Rivian and Polestar are two of my 5 favorite automotive manufacturers at this point.

I wonder whats going to happen to Polestar with Volvo shying away from them. The two EV companies I'm rooting for right now are Lucid and Rivian. Hoping Amazon and Saudi money keep them alive!

Keith Tanner
3/11/24 8:41 p.m.

Did someone say they wanted a TE37 render? Of course they did. This came from inside Rivian, given where I got it from :)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/11/24 9:35 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
Rivian and Polestar are two of my 5 favorite automotive manufacturers at this point.

I wonder whats going to happen to Polestar with Volvo shying away from them.

Greely is doing all right by Volvo, and they just bought majority share of Polestar.  Volvo is still involved as far as I know, just not responsible for Polestar.  The transition from subsidiary-of-a-subsidiary to direct Greely subsidiary does not inherently worry me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bsKG3NOdsaQZogtouVq0en2NyuYyw192qt5CLwS9Qq29GMefwuEKXH6IogSMfdL2