CancunLapis
CancunLapis
7/9/09 12:13 p.m.

Hello all,

I bought a new 98 Saturn SL1 and absolutely ADORED that car. Now I want to buy another saturn (used this time). Are there any specific years/models I should avoid? I never had problems with mine beyond normal wear and tear.

Thanks much,

L

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/9/09 12:46 p.m.

Another S series would be fine.

I'd avoid an ecotec L-series unless it's BOTH a screaming good deal AND has extensive maintenance history.

Don't take a V6 L-series for free.

Ion's are okay. awkward little bastards. massive trunk. disappointing fuel efficiency.

No first hand knowledge of the Astras.

CancunLapis
CancunLapis New Reader
7/9/09 12:49 p.m.

In reply to belteshazzar: Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!

kevinSC1
kevinSC1 New Reader
7/9/09 3:50 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: Another S series would be fine. ... No first hand knowledge of the Astras.

I'd 2nd the S-series. I love mine. easy and cheap to work on when you need to, and have a fun/price ratio that is hard to beat.

If you are looking at new cars, the Astra is a winner - I have one, and have put 17k on it in just over a year - drove it 16 hours each way to the Rolex 24. Great car, very fun to drive.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
7/9/09 4:05 p.m.

Also also +1 on an S series. I'd recommend a DOHC model (ending in 2) for the extra power and performance. With apologies to Kevin - though not really, since he eventually dropped a DOHC motor into his SC1. :)

The S series was basically the same throughout its 1991-2002 production run, with minor running changes on the way (body styles, OBD1/2, etc.) The mid-90s models are the most well known for excessive oil consumption, but any of them are vulnerable. All are rather good, though. I've had a 95 SC2, 96 SL2 (basically stock), and another 96 SL2 (not at all stock, previous owner did a major engine rebuild that made it one of the most powerful NA Saturns I know of). I only gave up that final SL2 because I couldn't get out of my driveway during a Maine winter without AWD.

Then go to www.sixthsphere.com and learn about all the ways you can tune it up.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/9/09 7:39 p.m.

I really want a Mk I SC1....40something miles per gallon sounds great.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/09 10:59 p.m.

You CAN get ~40 mpg out of an SC2. It just requires careful driving, not quite hypermiling. But when you get 35 flogging it like a a rented mule, the extra 5 mpg doesn't seem that important.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/9/09 11:51 p.m.

My girlfriend's last car was a '92 SL1 got around 45mpg highway. Her current car is an '02 SL2 40mpg highway. Both 5spd good cars to drive. I've never really had a chance to push them, but I've got no problem borrowing one for errands.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/10/09 12:34 a.m.

wow, the slushbox really robs alot then doesn't it. My girlfriends SL2 gets about 35 hwy...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
7/10/09 7:26 a.m.

The 1st gen SC1 was the lightest S series ever made. Either motor has rather good torque for an engine and car of that size/weight. Much of the improved mileage is from the higher gearing of the transmission the SOHC models come with. It's possible to construct a hybrid, the lower and sportier DOHC gearing but the rather tall SOHC 5th gear for highway cruising. I know a guy who was getting around 40mph out of his SC2 in that config.

Or just add the usual bolt-ons, strip the hell out of the interior, and have fun like we did. :)

Mowry
Mowry New Reader
7/10/09 7:57 a.m.

Griffin's right--the later SL2's really get the mileage too.

My "maybe take it to the Challenge" car is a rebuilt-salvage '98 SL2. If I can ignore the squeaks and rattles, the 35MPG on the highway is awesome, and it doesn't handle too badly with a decent swaybar and the KYB/SPS combo that it came with. They're plentiful at the Pick 'N Pull too--I just got a '92 DOHC header and O2 for $30, and for another $75 had an exhaust shop take out the crappy flex pipe and replace it with a proper ball coupling.

Even paying for exhaust work, I'm not $1200 into it...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRwRt4LwkEHuKTwUTOeW8A4V8WO1i8uwu1eRXTTqNfbssjW0EeXJV1bTp2CQ963V