NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 10:31 a.m.

Getting rear tires on the back of the Molvo is right on the edge. With zero Camber, I have 1/2" interference. The optins are wheels with more offset, fender flares, or camber increase.

If I dial in some camber, I might get this to the point where the tires will tuck under with just a fender lip roll.

I do not want to go all stanceworks with this nor make the car handle weird. So what is a reasonable negative camper number for a street driven Miata or should I just stick with stock and work it out with bodywork?

Also, not seeing much negative camber with the stock a-arms. what should I expect to be able to achieve?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/16 10:34 a.m.

Depends on how lively you want the rear end to be...-2deg is no big deal. Anything under -3deg isn't crazy.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/10/16 10:37 a.m.

I run -2deg all the way around and 0deg of toe. The camber is particularly visible in the rear but it doesn't look all janky.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/16 11:28 a.m.

Yup, visible rear camber is totally normal. Street cars have been running about 1.5 negative rear camber for the past two decades.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 11:44 a.m.

OK, then I will put "Up to -2 degrees" in the arsenal towards getting the rear tires under the fenders.

This thing is gonna be Hella-flush no matter what!

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/10/16 4:31 p.m.

Using trigonometry, it would appear that -2 degrees gives you 0.9" with a 26" tire.

EDIT: That number only works on a spherical Miata in a vacuum.

Keith Tanner
2/10/16 7:21 p.m.

The adjusters are on the lower control arm, so it pivots around the upper. Just in case that comes into your trig :)

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/10/16 7:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The adjusters are on the lower control arm, so it pivots around the upper. Just in case that comes into your trig :)

That matters a lot, as it'll be pushing the bottom of the tire out more than it pulls the top in.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 7:30 p.m.

The fact that the camber was dialed in from the bottom was a concern.

So, maybe something like this is in my future. (Or one of the variations on the market)

Keith Tanner
2/10/16 7:45 p.m.

Better option, really lets you tuck the top of that wheel if necessary :)

https://www.flyinmiata.com/rear-upper-control-arms.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/10/16 8:47 p.m.

I prayed it wasn't about this:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Us5GsRL5nJdA3M74SorPRcRbPnDrQFSVIHf8v7odGId7tVfPNAZ6RDun4nnxxxn3